.325 vs. .375 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257xp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I would like to hear some opinions on 325 chain vs 375 chain. i cut all hardwood maple oak and cherry, a little hickory for firewood, been running a 375 20" chain for years, was wondering if there would be any benefit to switching to a 325 chain... cutting with a stock 257.

Not sure the specs of your saw but my own experience between the two pitches is that generaly the .325 will cut faster then 3/8 with any given saw but the .3/8 will have a longer serivce life. My experience your mileage will vary

Sod Breaker

Not sure the specs of your saw but my own experience between the two pitches is that generaly the .325 will cut faster then 3/8 with any given saw but the .3/8 will have a longer serivce life. My experience your mileage will vary

Sod Breaker

makes sense the 325 would cut faster, never really thought about the service life,.. I guess there is a trade off there.
thanks

makes sense the 325 would cut faster, never really thought about the service life,.. I guess there is a trade off there.
thanks

Be aware there are lots of more or less crappy and/or badly designed .325 chain out there, so be very picky about the exact model you try. Oregon LPX is a good starting point, Stihl RS(C) isn't far behind, but cuts a wider kerf.

Last edited:
Back