346 xp died and won't restart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3GGG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After about 2 hours work today my 346xp died mid cut and will not restart.
I let it cool down and have so far checked the following
- there is fuel in the tank
- fuel was 40:1 fresh made today
- pulled the spark plug and there is a spark when pulling the cord
- when trying to start it fires during the pull then stops straight away
- pulled the muffler and it appears the piston is good
- i scooped the fuel filter from the bottom of the tank and could blow fuel out the bottom of the filter, there wasn't excess gunk

I do have a 2nd 346xp so that may help with parts to swap to help diagnose.

Any help would be appreciated, I have a lot of clearing to do next weekend.

Check and clean the air filter then maybe air intake leaks. Check impulse hose first and seals first carberetor then crank seals.

There was some very fine dust on the inside of the air filter.
I will clean the diaphragm and try that also. Maybe i will swap carbs with the other 346, and have two non working saws :yoyo:

just removed the diaphragm cover and the diaphragm itself looks good, no dirt or signs or damage.

I dont know much but I agree with rattler, I would check the fuel line for kinks or cracks, and make sure it is sealing off where it pushes onto the carb. Im not sure if it would cause it not to run but make sure the primer bulb is good if your saw has one.

The first thing I would do is check for spark. Since you have already done that, try spraying some starting fluid in the carb and if it cranks you know you have a fuel delivery problem. If it still doesn't crank and you know compression is sufficient then it has to be out of time. All a two stroke needs is fire and fuel.

The first thing I would do is check for spark. Since you have already done that, try spraying some starting fluid in the carb and if it cranks you know you have a fuel delivery problem. If it still doesn't crank and you know compression is sufficient then it has to be out of time. All a two stroke needs is fire and fuel.

DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID! Starting fluid will "wash" the cylinder, instead use a small amount of mix in the carb.

DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID! Starting fluid will "wash" the cylinder, instead use a small amount of mix in the carb.

Use what you want, starting fluid will never hurt to use for diagnostic purposes and will work a good bit better than fuel mix for checking to find a fuel delivery problem because you can guarantee if it don't fire on starting fluid you got a problem. My main point is don't go looking for a scorched piston and tear a saw half way down before you know if it has fuel and fire. A rotted fuel line will show itself before stopping a saw mid cut and not being able to restart and low compression doesn't pop up half way through a log.

Sometimes carburator adjustement can do the job
- especially if the saw is a bit newish - one of mine
357xp went completely DEAD after half-an-hour of
sawing or so when new, but was awakened from that
by carburator adjustement ... .

Not that I am a star-mechanic though ... .,

not happy, pretty simple to see the problem.
Must just be bad luck. It was great for the 4 hours i used it.
The cylinder looks to be ok, will look closer later.

Last edited:
the culprit & the cylinder it looks like there is a small nick in the cylinder but it is hopefully salvageable

That is a bummer. The clip failed? Was this aftermarket like I see so many people talk about?

Latest posts

Back