346 XP problems! w/pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michigander

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php
I bought a used 346XP about 2 years ago. Its been my go to saw a lot. It always starts and runs well. About a month ago, it started to have a high idle. I took the saw apart and found the impulse line cracked. I contemplated pulling the cylinder, to put the updated clamp on intake. I ended up putting it back together and it run much better. Just the other day I started it up and was only going to make one cut, when it stalled about a minute after starting it. I could not pull the recoil.
Today I decided to take it apart. At first I put some ATF in plug hole and worked the flywheel back and forth and I freed it up. I removed the cylinder and took some pics. I did take the cylinder to a dealer and he quoted me about $200 for a cylinder and piston kit.
My question is, if I need a cylinder and piston. Should I go with an OEM cylinder kit. I know there is aftermarket versions and maybe mine was one of them. I cannot find any numbers stamped into it. For the guys who know there Husky's. Are these Husky parts in my pics? Are the kits listed on Ebay any good, or should I steer away from them and go stock? Thanks for your help!
After looking at the piston a little more, I dont think it actually siezed from being lean. I think the circlip broke and got pinched in between the piston and cylinder. There is a gouge in that area.

I sure would like to see a picture of the other side of that cylinder.....something is amiss......

Just an aftermarket cylinder that suffered a lil circlip failure.......Are you missing a circlip? Bearing Cage?

Last edited:
attachment.php

Here is another pic of the cylinder! I cannot see any name on the cylinder and only a "2" stamped down by the base flange.
When I pulled the wrist pin out, one of the circlips didn't have the tab on the end.
So, I'm thinking about ordering the OEM parts and put it together myself. Even though two dealers told me to junk it! :msp_sad:

Well the dealers just want you to buy a new saw, after all that is what they do. What you have there is a pretty crappy looking AF top end, buy a new oem top end and as long as everything else on the saw is fine, the saw will last you a lifetime. The 346 a hell of a saw and it's well worth a new top end. BTW is this an old edition or new edition?

I'm up with good OEM parts, but check around a bit and see what you can get for 200 clams... Though most OEM parts on the bay can be spendy, a good deal comes along once in a while...

New circlip, ring, do a lil cleaning up , and run it. Total cost of about $5. Then cut wood for few more years.those aftermarket chrome bores can take a beating.....all depends upon what yours looks like.

Any recommendations for an online dealer, to get the parts? Local dealer said $191 for the cylinder and piston kit, plus tax and some gaskets that are extra.

Well the dealers just want you to buy a new saw, after all that is what they do. What you have there is a pretty crappy looking AF top end, buy a new oem top end and as long as everything else on the saw is fine, the saw will last you a lifetime. The 346 a hell of a saw and it's well worth a new top end. BTW is this an old edition or new edition?
This is the Old edition! I might try to clean things up and put it back together as some have posted. It won't hurt to give it a try and see how she runs, with just a new ring and cleanup.:rock:

That's an aftermarket NE cylinder...and if the dealer only want's to charge you $200 for another top-end, I will bet the farm it is aftermarket too. New OEM NE kits are about $260 and OE's are close to $200. Those are the prices for the parts only.

Back