346xp OE handle 24" with skip chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have run a 24" RSC on my ported 346. it runs pretty good up to about 20" oak. you can't lay into it like you can with a 7900, but it does good and it makes a nice limbing saw for a tall person like myself.

Listen to what he says and read the description. He said he just wanted to try it.

I'm not in this for an argument, but All I see or heard him say was lets see how this goes, and the title says 346 micro howler vs 48 "fir there's no decription that I can see from the video??:cheers:

Edit, sorry parrisw I did'nt click on the you tube banner at the top of the video to watch, if you do then you get the chance to read the description.

Last edited:
I'm not in this for an argument, but All I see or heard him say was lets see how this goes, and the title says 346 micro howler vs 48 "fir there's no decription that I can see from the video??:cheers:

Edit, sorry parrisw I did'nt click on the you tube banner at the top of the video to watch, if you do then you get the chance to read the description.

if you watch that Dudes other vids you'll see he's a faller and builds his own saws. To me it just looked like he was trying to push the limits of what is possible for his own enjoyment. Much like belt sander racing or ####ing the dog there really isn't any point to it but sure is fun.

Ya, sorry, wasn't trying to start an argument at all. Yes you just have to be in youtube to read it all.

Here is one with a 28" bar.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdZ3Xm-46cQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdZ3Xm-46cQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

wow....

with a custom full wrap too!

It appears the saw in the vid was punched out by 2mm,making it closer to a 359.
John

so he musta put a 357 or 359 top end on it... hmm..

J

Falling big stuff with little chainsaws was part of of my training, it's an excellent way to learn about falling large timber. If you are consistantly sucessfull with an 18" on 36"+ trees, the transition to a big saw with a long bar in large trees is easier. It is fun.

bigger bore seems pretty unlikely. I think it did as I would expect a well ported 346 to do. Anything beyond pop-up and porting just wouldn't be very sensible.

Falling big stuff with little chainsaws was part of of my training, it's an excellent way to learn about falling large timber. If you are consistantly sucessfull with an 18" on 36"+ trees, the transition to a big saw with a long bar in large trees is easier. It is fun.

This is the way I grew up...

everything was handled with a 16-18" bar... took down a 40" tree with a 18" bar a couple years ago. lotta wood in that tree :)

bigger bore seems pretty unlikely. I think it did as I would expect a well ported 346 to do. Anything beyond pop-up and porting just wouldn't be very sensible.

I would think.

discipline for lining your cuts up. I've never plunge cut into the face cut as part of the back cut, is that something that happens or just an idea in a book?

I wasn't scoffing, and can see how it should work. Just thought the sage and grizzled fallers might have yet another reality (which they probably do anyways).

discipline for lining your cuts up. I've never plunge cut into the face cut as part of the back cut, is that something that happens or just an idea in a book?

It is reality.

Sure is, specially with those that like to run 13" bars over here! :cheers:

Edit; Forgot to say - to fell trees that is larger than about 1.9 x the effective (vs. called) bar length, that is the only way to do it!

Last edited:
He did say it was an overbore.

we'll sheeeite.

This is a ridge top, back yard fir that is oh so nice. I am using the 346 ( that I call my micro howler) with a modified BB kit I made myself from the other 346 videos with a 28" bar. Admitedly, the chain is a little aggressive for the wood in this location but I wanted to see how the saw pulled that length of chain anyway.
Thanks for watching!

we'll sheeeite.

This is a ridge top, back yard fir that is oh so nice. I am using the 346 ( that I call my micro howler) with a modified BB kit I made myself from the other 346 videos with a 28" bar. Admitedly, the chain is a little aggressive for the wood in this location but I wanted to see how the saw pulled that length of chain anyway.
Thanks for watching!

That statement stinks - but what do I really know? :dizzy:

First of all, I have never heard of a BB kit for the 346xp before!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back