350 husky upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 45mm hiway cyl is unique, not a copy of anything husky produced. Look at the last digits of the part # h30353. Pretty sure I saw this mentioned somewhere else.

Take a look at # h30346. I wonder if it's the exact same cast with a smaller 44.3 bore. The fifty dollar price difference makes it an attractive option for someone trying to upgrade on the cheap. Heck, that's less than a meteor piston.

Ok, so the h30353- DNS is the pseudo open port cylinder.... not hyway, likely huztl or another chinese manuf....

https://www.hlsproparts.com/Husqvarna-340-345-346-350-353-big-bore-kit-p/h30353-dns.htm?Click=48376

the h30346 is also not a hyway cylinder, but a chinese copy of the 346xp cylinder head. on sale right now for $30?

https://www.hlsproparts.com/Husqvarna-346-XP-cylinder-and-piston-kit-p/h30346.htm?Click=48376

the hyway version:

http://www.hlsproparts.com/Hyway-Husqvarna-350-351-353-cylinder-kit-p/h30353.htm?Click=48376

this is a closed quad port cylinder head that I'm working with right now. its 45mm, but essentially identical to the 346xp otherwise.

I'm sure the chinese 44.3 is similar to ones I've used in my saws. I have one guy running one of these things one a 350 chassis. he runs the saw 8 hours at a time... I think he's nutso, but the saw has been in a few times for repair in the last year... clutch drum bearing, clutch springs, and a new carb. other than that he still has good compression. I can't believe that it hasn't flown apart yet, but it seems to be going good.

I prefer either the hyway 45mm personally, or the oem cylinder head. an oem 346xp head can be had from @spike60 for around $110 shipped? I don't recall if the prices have gone up recently, but I can tell you that the cylinder comparison vid I did on these cylinders still has relevance. The oem head is nicer in many ways, though i think I like the plating on the hyway better.

Yes, if you can get a $30 copy of the 346xp head, then I suppose why not right? at 1/3 the price of oem new that starts to make some sense. but I don't see the sense of getting a 44mm open port am head, and I don't see the point of getting an am copy of the 45mm pseudo open port head... mostly because these can be had used for cheap. the one upside to the head with the removable transfer covers is that its REALLY easy to mod with just a straight handpiece.

That’s cool to hear that his has stood up to the test of time Matt.

As a backup saw or one of many saws in a fleet I see no problem to experiment with the Chinese cylinders. My Chinese cylinder 350 ran really well. Just need to clean up the port edges and expect that it may not produce quite as much power as a good OE or high quality replacement.

just depends if you are having fun or not. I hate to grind on brandy new nice oem heads. i don't think twice about grinding on AM heads.

sold a saw locally last night. always get asked the question, how long will it last?

depends on the point of failure. a pinhole in a fuel line will wreck a top end just as fast as pretty much anything else.

TONS of points of failure on saws, in general. oem pieces likely have less failures, but then again, you can put an oem top end on a saw, and drop the dang thing out of a tree.

in that case, it don't matter that it was all oem. the fall was the point of failure lol.

I bought the remnants of a 372 once that someone had installed a piston in backwards. hooked a ring. no mods, oem top end. whoops.

so, like I said, depends on if its for fun or not. nuthing wrong with fiddling. nuthing wrong with building all oem.

Latest posts

Back