357XP: Where Does It Fit In Between The 346XP and 385XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProMac1K

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been pondering this for some time, and I seriously need opinions as i'm burning full-time now (or as much as possible). I've been trying to get two or three newer Husky's as reliable saws to do the bulk of the cutting tasks. I'd just as soon use the Mac's for backup, or for hobby saws. I've got the 385XP for the larger felling and bucking tasks, but it seems the majority of the trees out there are under 20" or maybe even 18". I pretty much just cut dead trees, with the exception of what I like to call weed trees (mulberry/boxelder). Or if i'm doing a little clearing, which in that case it would only be smaller trees. The 385XP is just fine for the older ash, cottonwood, and maple (18" and up). What about for trees under that size? Two popular saws come to my mind, the 346XP and the 357XP. I've heard the 346 is light, fast, and excels at limbing, but can also fall and buck small trees (how big?). But when it comes to the 357XP, I don't know where to place it. It's lighter than the old Mac's in its size range, but not as light as the 346. It has more power than the 346, but nothing like the 372XP or 385XP. The 346 is rated pull a up to a 20" bar, and the 372 and 385 is rated to pull up to a 28" bar. The 357 is somewhere in the middle, naturally.

I know there is a place somewhere for the 357. Would you suppose it was designed to be a saw for a farmer/rancher with just one saw? Or would it be designed to be a premium firewood saw for the average cutter? If a guy would have both a 346xp and a 385xp, where would you fit in the 357xp? I suppose what I really want to know, how can you compare the 346 and 357, and what advantage would they have over each other. My thought would be to go with the one that costs less, since I already have the grunt with the bigger one. I don't know which one I should be interested in, and am looking for advice.

Thank You

The 357XP is priced closer to the 372XP but performs closer to the much lighter NE346XP, making it somewhat unpopular lately. It's a good saw and is enough for many as an "only saw", but nobody who found their way onto AS would own just one saw, would they? If you already have a 385, it might fit into a three-saw plan with a small saw, 357 and 385, but for significantly less money you can get a Stihl MS361 or a Jonsered 2165/Husky 365 Special, so why bother? I'm not a brand loyalist, love them all, but for me the 357 doesn't make much sense unless I truly needed the XPG heated-handle model in a mid-size saw.

Last edited:
The 346xp easily can fell 18-20" trees, but if that size is the norm I would get the 372xp.

Be aware that the way a saw feels in the woods have a lot to do with what bar you put on them, and not just the powerhead weight.

I've stuck to Husqvarna because i've had good luck with the 385, and I like the functionality of everything on it. Honestly, I don't care for the functionality and feel of a Stihl (and at least the older Jonsereds). But i've only spent time with the 026, 260, and 056. I know Stihl has new technology, but they still feel like an older saw to me. It doesn't help that the new Stihl trimmer that I bought a couple yrs ago has been a total dog since new (after how many carb cleanings). I can just say that Husqvarna has my attention. I like Mac's because a PM610 was the first saw I ran (and rebuilt), and it also was my grandfathers. Also they have a unique feel to me, and some of them run real strong. They are more of a collector to me now.

I want to say that a 16" bar would probably cover 85% of what I cut, a 20" bar probably 10%, and a 24" the other 5%. The 385 with a 20" bar probably got picked up the most this cutting season due to its reliability, it's a lot newer than the rest. I had a 60cc Mac 610 down with fuel supply issues, and a 50cc Mac Titan down with bad fuel hoses that need replacing (actually two of the same 50cc saws now with bad fuel hoses). Also the 490 that I was using to limb had fuel vent problems and then I ruined the clutch while changing rim sprockets. All the while the Wild Thing and the 385 kept running strong. I honestly had little time to spare to fix the other saws, as harvest was creeping up.

The 346xp easily can fell 18-20" trees, but if that size is the norm I would get the 372xp.

Be aware that the way a saw feels in the woods have a lot to do with what bar you put on them, and not just the powerhead weight.

I hear you with the balancing deal. I did some trials with all of my saws to see what bars would work best with each saw. I absolutely don't care for a nose-heavy combination. The 385 seemed to balance the best with a 20" bar. Unfortunately, on the older saws, even the smaller ones are heavier. Fortunately, if you run the size of bar that is meant to be on the smaller ones, it will take away from the nose heft.

16" and below are the norm here. Some of the old and original ones are around 20" (with the cottonwood's being bigger), but those are getting fewer all along. I measured a couple that I had cut down and had laying by the wood piles. The one that looked big to me was 16". Anything that size or above, I would use the 385 with the 20" bar. I need something to fall in the category below that 20" bar, that would be light enough to limb with, yet can fell those trees 16" and under. Honestly, I can count with two hands the amount of times i've had to double-cut a tree while falling it with a 20" bar.

Since I have the 385, anything in the 60-70cc class would seem like a wide enough gap. I'm looking for the best two-saw plan, with one being the 385. I'm leaning towards the 346xp, but would like to know if the weight would kill the deal if I stepped up to a 357xp, and also if it would have enough power to merit the upgrade and be worth the increase in $$$.

Thank You

70cc saw and 20" bar before buying a 60cc saw of any make.

might even save some money and just put a 20" on the on the 385

70cc saw and 20" bar before buying a 60cc saw of any make.

might even save some money and just put a 20" on the on the 385

I've never had anything other than a 20" bar on the 385. And fortunately i've never needed anything bigger than that. I've got a 30" just in case though.

But the downside of the 385 is that the performance can be sluggish when falling and cutting up 12" sections of a tree when harvesting smaller firewood. It's heavier, so you tire faster, and can't put as much into it in the up-cut. And it's too much of a hulk for limbing off of that tree. I try to conserve as much of the smaller stuff as possible, so I deal with branches a lot. I'm not falling 100+ yr old trees that are 150ft tall, so I have to make up for the difference in saving the smaller pieces. What I generally do is fall trees and skid them one day, and get a bunch together, then go to work limbing and bucking them on another day with whatever saw I need. So it's halfway understandable that i'll use a lighter saw to limb and buck whenever possible, since it isn't necessarily the same day that i'm falling that tree.

I am a noob to saws.That being said I run a 20" .375 on my 346NE and this thing has lots of snot.After running the 385 for a day the 346 will feel like a mini-mac.If you.re leaning toward the 346 go for it,you wont be sorry.It's the only saw I use(and own) and I cut with guys that run 372's.They can't believe my saw is only 50cc's.
DON

If the choice is only adding one, either the 346 or the 357 and you already got the 385, my vote would go to the 346. You can just throw a smaller bar on the 385 and get a bigger grin factor then you would with the 357. You'll appreciate the lightness of the 346 in contrast to the 385, you'll use it plenty and it will perform well.

That said, the sooner you get the 346, the sooner you can start saving for the 357, I mean you are leaving a big cc gap in the arsenal there ;)

I've stuck to Husqvarna because i've had good luck with the 385, and I like the functionality of everything on it. Honestly, I don't care for the functionality and feel of a Stihl (and at least the older Jonsereds). But i've only spent time with the 026, 260, and 056. I know Stihl has new technology, but they still feel like an older saw to me. It doesn't help that the new Stihl trimmer that I bought a couple yrs ago has been a total dog since new (after how many carb cleanings). I can just say that Husqvarna has my attention. I like Mac's because a PM610 was the first saw I ran (and rebuilt), and it also was my grandfathers. Also they have a unique feel to me, and some of them run real strong. They are more of a collector to me now.

I want to say that a 16" bar would probably cover 85% of what I cut, a 20" bar probably 10%, and a 24" the other 5%. The 385 with a 20" bar probably got picked up the most this cutting season due to its reliability, it's a lot newer than the rest. I had a 60cc Mac 610 down with fuel supply issues, and a 50cc Mac Titan down with bad fuel hoses that need replacing (actually two of the same 50cc saws now with bad fuel hoses). Also the 490 that I was using to limb had fuel vent problems and then I ruined the clutch while changing rim sprockets. All the while the Wild Thing and the 385 kept running strong. I honestly had little time to spare to fix the other saws, as harvest was creeping up.

Could not have put it better! Well yeah I guess I can Husky kicks lmfao nova fer ya

I think I forgot to mention about the Jonsered 490 that I have. Is that comparable to the 346, or would I notice a big difference? It's been sort of a screamer with the little bit that I have ran it, although I haven't ran it a lot since it has a couple bugs that need sorting out. I've got a 16" and a 18" bar for it.

That sort of put a rock in the sieves now that I forgot about that. I'm not trying to be hard on you guys (hope you realize that, just looking for honest advice without blowing money). If the 490 is close enough to a 346, does that mean something like the 357xp is the way to go? Or should I just be happy with what I have and spend on something else. Oh boy what kind of a question is that.......

If the choice is only adding one, either the 346 or the 357 and you already got the 385, my vote would go to the 346. You can just throw a smaller bar on the 385 and get a bigger grin factor then you would with the 357. You'll appreciate the lightness of the 346 in contrast to the 385, you'll use it plenty and it will perform well.

That said, the sooner you get the 346, the sooner you can start saving for the 357, I mean you are leaving a big cc gap in the arsenal there ;)

Yup tried but the spread it thingy that is my take 385 and 372 are not far enough apart to warrant a 372. Plus I have heard almost as much good about the 385 and definately as much about 346 to me the 357 is outdated as long as the others are to be had.

I think I forgot to mention about the Jonsered 490 that I have. Is that comparable to the 346, or would I notice a big difference? It's been sort of a screamer with the little bit that I have ran it, although I haven't ran it a lot since it has a couple bugs that need sorting out. I've got a 16" and a 18" bar for it.

That sort of put a rock in the sieves now that I forgot about that. I'm not trying to be hard on you guys (hope you realize that, just looking for honest advice without blowing money). If the 490 is close enough to a 346, does that mean something like the 357xp is the way to go? Or should I just be happy with what I have and spend on something else. Oh boy what kind of a question is that.......

If you go up to the 357 get the 372 instead you will thanks us.

16" and below are the norm here. Some of the old and original ones are around 20" (with the cottonwood's being bigger), but those are getting fewer all along. I measured a couple that I had cut down and had laying by the wood piles. The one that looked big to me was 16". Anything that size or above, I would use the 385 with the 20" bar. I need something to fall in the category below that 20" bar, that would be light enough to limb with, yet can fell those trees 16" and under. Honestly, I can count with two hands the amount of times i've had to double-cut a tree while falling it with a 20" bar.

Since I have the 385, anything in the 60-70cc class would seem like a wide enough gap. I'm looking for the best two-saw plan, with one being the 385. I'm leaning towards the 346xp, but would like to know if the weight would kill the deal if I stepped up to a 357xp, and also if it would have enough power to merit the upgrade and be worth the increase in $$$.

Thank You

If you are after a saw with a 16" bar, keep leaning towards the 346xp! :)

If you go up to the 357 get the 372 instead you will thanks us.

So it's come down to either replacing the 490 or else getting something bigger. Looking at it from a different viewpoint, what would a 55-75cc saw give me as far as filling in a gap? 55-65cc saws are sort of a farmer/rancher type all-purpose "one-saw plan" saw, whereas the 65-75cc saws are getting into the realm of a larger bucking/falling saw. What would you suppose does a 372 bring to the plate in its world besides being lighter than the 385? It really isn't a saw for smaller trees, honestly it seems a good amount use it for their larger saw. Yet it really is overkill to be put into the farmer/rancher realm to, isn't it?

Well said! :cheers:

If you are after a saw with a 16" bar, keep leaning towards the 346xp! :)

Thanks for the hinting gesture! :) I'm still concerned on what the 357xp would do over the 346xp, or if it would do anything in a sufficient amount to warrant the increase in price. trimmmed was itching to the point that I was trying to clear up, but i'm still a little confused. Is the 357xp that much more capable for the increase in weight and price, or is it also filling a gap in between the 346 and 372, or in this case the 346 and 385?

Latest posts

Back