357XP: Where Does It Fit In Between The 346XP and 385XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful! :clap:

Now I just need to get the chain situation addressed. It had 3/8LP chain on it when I got it, I thought it was .325 as i'd never seen .325 before. Here someone put 3/8LP on the 3/8 .058 18" bar. The Stihl dealer didn't stock any when I went in there.

On the identical bar that I have, it's actually a 16" .325 .058, and it's supposed to use 66 drive links with the 490. Turns out it's at least two drive links too small, I couldn't even fit the rim between the B/C with the bar off the saw. I got the seller to mail me some extra links to add on. It's another mess in itself! Oh, I so have fun!! :)

I've never taken the time to learn bore-cutting. I've done it a time or two on bucking, just to get the general idea without doing it while falling and then having an accident. What's the scoop with notching the sides before backcutting? Is that what you're referring to?

It is not about notching, but about starting the backcut by cutting from one side of the tree (only a few inches deep, and without bore-cutting), and then continue from the rear (without taking the saw out of the tree). The down-side is a less than perfect hinge on the side where you started, so the stump will not look perfect.....

I probably shouldn't have posted about it in the first place - as I said it is not "by the book", and the fall direction will not always be perfect (but mostly it is).

It is not about notching, but about starting the backcut by cutting from one side of the tree (only a few inches deep, and without bore-cutting), and then continue from the rear (without taking the saw out of the tree). The down-side is a less than perfect hinge on the side where you started, so the stump will not look perfect.....

I probably shouldn't have posted about it in the first place - as I said it is not "by the book", and the fall direction will not always be perfect (but mostly it is).

OK, I got it. Someplace I have seen people notch both sides of the hinge before the backcut. Maybe that's to help control the hinge, or maybe that's just because there bar is a bit too small. :confused:

Here's just about the biggest tree i've yet to fall on the place, and is honestly larger than I commonly fall. It was either struck by lightning or damaged by wind, but it broke in two right next to our bin propane tank. It took two swipes for both the notch and backcut with a 20" bar on the 385.

100_0894.jpg

Well, to be honest, while I was out putting the snow plow on I measured some ash stumps that I had cleaned up. One was 24" across, and one was 28" across. Still 385 territory, but I wanted to clear it up. I have a couple noodling logs that are at 18", that's a more common size for the large ones. The way the mature ash trees are dieing off, i'm not going to have to worry about 20"+ ash trees for too long. It seems the summer storms have played havoc with them. I took some down this summer that were from 16"-28". Just about all of them had broken tops. I've got one more big one marked that could be taken down. As soon as the few bigger ones are gone, were back to the sub-18" category, other than the cottonwoods and maples. I may be able to get into another local grove and start thinning it out, that will be a whole new game.

OK, I got it. Someplace I have seen people notch both sides of the hinge before the backcut. Maybe that's to help control the hinge, or maybe that's just because there bar is a bit too small. :confused:

You cut a small 45 degree to the direction of fall cut on either side of the notch to prevent side scarring (which is where a chunk of the sapwood gets ripped of where the hinge is and stays on the stump). Side scarring can damage the butt log of saleable timber and reduces some directional control.

You cut a small 45 degree to the direction of fall cut on either side of the notch to prevent side scarring (which is where a chunk of the sapwood gets ripped of where the hinge is and stays on the stump). Side scarring can damage the butt log of saleable timber and reduces some directional control.

That's what I was referring to. Thank you!

My 357 is my favorite saw, my "go-to" for almost everything. Its pulls a 20" bar easily stock. Future muffler mod and porting work by Brad is planned, but it starts, runs, idles perfect and is a screamer. I'm just a firewood cutter but it does everything it supposed to do right.

Latest posts

Back