357XP: Where Does It Fit In Between The 346XP and 385XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I made my decision. I went to a dealer today and put an order in for a new 346xp. :clap:

The weight of the saw ended up being the deciding factor. I think the 346xp will do what i'm looking for in it, the fact that it's nimble and the bonus of a high speed/low weight saw is a perk in this instance. I've taken two occasions to feel similar weight saws to both the 346 and 357, and after picking up a 2152 and 2159 today the decision got that much easier. The 2159 wasn't heavy, but the size of it was noticeably bigger to get around with, and i'm sure the weight difference would make a difference in the end. When I was out cleaning up the wood pile today I brought out the McC Titan 70 (70cc) saw out to do a bit of noodling and cut up some smaller lengths that I had laying there. Not a good comparison, but the physical size is at least similar. Although weight wasn't a real factor at the time (and i've weighed it at 19lbs with B/C), the mobility factor becomes prevalent. And the fact that a saw that size with a bar that size (20" bar on this one) just didn't work that well with the smaller stuff. It's different if you're cutting off of a tree though. The full-size characteristic of a saw like that just isn't manueverable enough, and in all honesty the saw isn't large by no means. Another factor was that while splitting, the vast majority of what I was working with was no larger than 15". Generally I cut stuff after it's dead, so I haven't been purposely culling small trees. I just think the majority of the wood will fit into the 346's category.

I'll post back after I receive it and get some time on it (maybe in a new thread, i'll annotate this one if so). Depending on what I think of it, I may or may not still get a 357XP. As cold as it has been and is going to get, I might have to spring for an XPG model! Hey, maybe even a 2156! Getting some new equipment just seems to make the work go better and be so much more enjoyable. I spent an hr or so today running my new log splitter. It sure is a dream compared to the maul. It's amazing what it can do. Although, I still like the sound a maul makes when it slices through a slab of hard ash. But this splitter is so much more proficient. I get a lot more done, yet I still feel like i'm getting a workout from hauling the rounds up onto it. I'm shot tonight, been up since 5:15. The wood pile to be split and stacked sure is cleaning up. But once I get that 346 in service i'll have some more to split. This stuff is all smaller, so I think I can both limb and buck with the 346. It's a mixture of ash, boxelder, and maybe some maple and mulberry. I can't wait!

Thanks for the advice, and Take Care! :cheers:

Last edited:
It isn't - it has been on the side since the outset in 1999! :greenchainsaw:

Troll,

You truley are an information collector. You can usually answer any vintage/model question on Huskys and J-reds. You impress us all. Very helpfull too :cheers:

Troll,

You truley are an information collector. You can usually answer any vintage/model question on Huskys and J-reds. You impress us all. Very helpfull too :cheers:

:agree2:

Niko provides us with very good info at an amazingly low price!:clap:
Thanks for that, factual information makes decision making so much easier. You really are a great resource for us all.

:cheers:
Scott

Thank you! I hope it is as good as i'm expecting, and as good as everyone says it is. I'm afraid i'm still going to wonder what the 357 is like, but we'll see how the 346 does first.

You could always take a trip up here to the great white north. I've got a few sticks I would let you test out my 2156 on. :cheers:

Edit: Bring the 346 as well, I woudn't mind throwing some chips with one of them.

Last edited:
Well, if the dealer is reading this (for some freaky abnormally possible reason), where's ma' saw? :popcorn:

Apparently now that I spoke with him on Friday it's 2-4 days for delivery, so it might not actually arrive until Tuesday. He said that it was to be planned for Friday according to tracking, but if something backfires it might not arrive. Well, of course the latter happened (guess it doesn't pay to get your hopes and nerves up). Instead of heading from the east coast towards me in the upper midwest, UPS took it down south along the coast. I suppose I can thank all the holiday shoppers for that. :censored: Hopefully not for someone else to try out. So i'll probably be able to expect it right in the middle of a blizzard the way it sounds, which might push it back more. Oh well, I suppose it's worth the wait.

I got the clutch put back on the Jonsered 490 and might start on cleaning up the tree pile that i've got left to cleanup. The Jonsered fired up and runs good, but needs a carb tune and a trial run. The last time I ran it there was fuel shooting out of the vent hose after it warmed up, and it was smoking from the chain brake area, and acting doggy when that happened. I put a new vent valve in it while I was putting some other parts into it, hopefully that's all that was the matter with that. But I can't understand why the chain brake would be dragging, if that's the case. I'm thinking if anything, too much sideplay on the clutch drum. I don't even think I have an hour of run time with the saw since I got it, so I suppose the quirks will show themselves over time. It ran good today though when I seated the clutch, just needs a retune from when I "trialed 'n errored" the thing last time.

If it doesn't work, it's time to break out the Poulan W/T again (which is damned reliable IMO). Or else i'm gonna go "kindlin' cutting" with the Big Macs! :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back