361 or 441 to go with the ms260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id swap for the 441. The light vibes make it a very usefull saw and importantly comfortable to use all day. The weight is no real issue if you are fit and if not youll soon get fit.

A 70cc saw will cut anything youll want to throw at it in terms of firewood and day to day felling.

Your 260 will compliment it nicely.

thanks I think I made up my mind, I just wanted to make sure the 441 was not a turd or something like that, I'm sure it is next to the beast of the 460. After I posted last night I got called into work & got to use my other saw the TS400 concrete saw, we had to sleeve in a piece of 12" watermain. that fun lasted to 7:00am this morning talk about fun cutting in the dark with water splashing in your face & the gyroscope effect of the saw & being tired.

Randy

oh yeah it can only be the 441. i thought about getting the 441 & going to another dealer & asking to trade the 441 for a 460.

Randy

I have a 260 and 361 which are a great pair of firewood saws. I occasional run on a 25" bar on the 361 with chisel skip chain, but take it easy in the cut. I would not go any larger than 25" on a 361, it usually wears a 20" which is perfect. If its a free swap then by all means go for it, but if the trees you cut are under 24" then the 361 is perfect.

I use a 260 and 361 (18" bar) on the majority of firewood, I think it's a great combination. I might bring out the 460 to make the flush cut on the stump, otherwise the 361 does most of the work. On small trees up to about 12", the 260 will do it all. Open up the muffler, pull the limiter caps off, re-tune it and it will scream.

The 441 is overweight and underpowered.

Atleast according to the people who haven't used one......:monkey:

I hear you everybody thinks its a amc pace car why .the 441 is a great saw
it will cut with a stock 460 all day .Its a good running strong saw. get it
and dont look back you will use it more than you think.

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like a 441 to me, do u guys think a 3/8 chain on a 260 will be fine for just limbing? I plan on switching over to a 16" 3/8 bar.

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like a 441 to me, do u guys think a 3/8 chain on a 260 will be fine for just limbing? I plan on switching over to a 16" 3/8 bar.

Yes, with a seven tooth sprocket.

I'm currently running 3/8-.050 and a 7 tooth, with an 18" bar on my 026.

I think it works very well.

I use a 260 and 361 (18" bar) on the majority of firewood, I think it's a great combination. I might bring out the 460 to make the flush cut on the stump, otherwise the 361 does most of the work. On small trees up to about 12", the 260 will do it all. Open up the muffler, pull the limiter caps off, re-tune it and it will scream.

I couldn't of said it better!!!

Have not used a 460. Do have a Husky 181SE and if a modded 460 is anything like it, I prefer the 441 for all day cutting. The 181's anti vibe is not nearly as nice as the 441. (Of course, there is only about 22 years difference in the manufacturing dates)

Maybe one day I'll get tired of advertising for the 441, just not there yet.

As mentioned, the 441 is easy on fuel, superb filtration and excellent. anti vibe.

The 441 is my favorite firewood and felling saw.

For a total felling, limbing, and bucking package, hat's off to the 440!

Try a 372xp if you want "superb filtration and excellent anti vibe", withiut the added weight of the 441! :greenchainsaw:

Some will say the 260 isn't good with 3/8. I use 3/8 on both of my 026 and love 'em. I really like the 3/8 16" b&c on a 026. Also the 260 and 441/460 is a nice combo. 441/460 for the big stuff, 260 for the small stuff and when you get tired.:chainsaw:

I run a 3/8 on my 260 pro, w/ muffler mod, and no problems at all. I use it for limbing and felling small trees and it pulls it fine on a 16" bar.

I run a 3/8 on my 260 pro, w/ muffler mod, and no problems at all. I use it for limbing and felling small trees and it pulls it fine on a 16" bar.

Same results for me on an 026 with muffler mod running 16" 3/8 .050 chain. Keep the chain sharp and she cuts fine.

Thanks I just ordered some stuff to run the 3/8 chain

Thanks
Randy

I had a brand new 361 about 2 months ago and traded it in on a 460 due to a problem with the air cleaner and i can tell you you will not regret the 460 but i have not tried the 441:)

ms460

if I was you I would go for the 460 the power to weight is better this is right out of the stihl book
ms441 70.7cc 5.5 bhp 14.6lbs
ms460 76.5cc 6.0bhp 14.6lbs
but thats just my 2cent

You likely couldn't tell much, if any difference in power between the two. The smoothness, air filtration and fuel economy are quite noticeable.

I understand the skepticism related to a new product, but...

People have written that they heard the 441 falls off at higher elevation. I am not sure I have seen someone say it sucked at elevation.

The vibration is undeniable.

What about the new stiffer springs on the wrap saw? Are they standard, do they make that much of a difference?

The elevation thing is a big deal too. I went from a 660 at 5k ft to a 660 at 5 feet and it felt like a whole new saw. My 440 still feels crisp from 5k to 9k, not sure if I bog the 441 because of the softer AV and less feel or what.

Good luck on the purchase, you can't go wrong and you can always get more saws!

Back