362 C-M Cold Weather Starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've noticed that my 362 C-M (ported) seems to start easier in the cold weather if I do not use the Compression Relief.

Anyone else notice this with a C-M saw?

Does the impulse line function better when U don't use CR?

After it is warm, even if I have not run it for 5 min or so, it starts easily with the CR on and in the Run (not start) position.

Thanks for any info.

I honestly don't pay much attention to such things. If it takes two more pulls, or two less pulls I don't notice. I don't use C/R on my 441-cm and I don't even recall at the moment if my 241 has a C/R. I will say that my CM saws are not easier starter than the carb saws I have, you just can't flood them without a bunch of effort.

It did not want to start when I was using the CR.

The advantage I see with the C-M saws is that when it starts, that is it. With the older saws it spits on choke, they usually a few more pulls w/o choke to get it to run (unless UR lucky enough to get that choke off real quick).

In fact, with the C-M saws, when it is cold, I don't hit the trigger for a few seconds to let it warm up or it may stall.

Yeah, you have to be patient with the CM saws. I also let them warm up for a longer time than my carb'd saws.

I have noticed similar things with my 7900 also. I know it is not autotune or CM but it seems to start much better under certain weather or saw conditions when you don't use the CR. Even with cold starts.

All my Autotune saws need to warm up quite a bit longer before they run right. The T540xp (because i use it the most for climbing) does benefit from setting the fast idle choke setting for warm restarts if you have had the saw off for more than a minute or 2. If i am doing a job where i am re-positioning in the tree a lot but not making many cuts i won't even bother with the T540 as it is just a pain to get to re-start if you are not cutting non stop. If i take the 338XPT for these kind of jobs it is a dream to re-start. If i am using the saw constantly and not re positioning often and mainly cutting or blocking down a small diameter trunk then the T540 is king of the hill.

Fast idle also works well for my 562xp and my CS2252 with warm restarts actually.

Autotune and M-tronic are the way of the future and it is here to stay. The saws have differences in the way they like to be treated when starting to what we are used to. I don't like having to **** around with a saw to get it to rev properly but that is just something we all have to accept and get used to i guess.

any saw will start easier without the CR as long as your man enough to pull them. the bigger ones that is ;) only one i use the comp release for is my 395 and it's only at first start up in the morning. it's probably got more comp then that 362 even with the comp release pushed in too. i don't even use the decomp on 3120's and had very few starter problems on any saw as well. it's all about engaging the pawls before you pull. seen so many fools destroy starters by pulling without care.

MechanicMatt argued w/his dad about using CR on the 460, and when he went to demonstrate, he broke the recoil cord. I do use CR on the 046, even if it takes a few more pulls.

The 044s don't have it, and the 362 is small enough to not need it.

Start is like fast idle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Start position seems to replace the Choke position, except it will let the saw run there. It does not go to high RPM like my other saws do on fast idle. I guess I would describe it as a "smart choke" position, maybe combining choke & half choke. IMO, the M-Tonic saws don't have any position similar to Fast Idle. It seems to "Burble" when left in Start position.

I would not be surprised if that was part of the problem (not engaging the pawls first). Like I said, the cord on 044 #1 is original, but I follow the procedure U state. Like anything else, it should be "used", no "abused". IMO, it would be very hard to break a cord with a smooth, un-jerky pull.

That said, the 046/460 have a lot more felt compression than the 044s. I don't even think about pulling my 046 w/o using CR.

On hot days when the 044 is hot, I have had the handle pull through my fingers, not fun!

The b***h of it was the screw broke off flush with the post , so PA Dan found a NOS post and clip screw for 6 bucks on the bay and sent me the link and all is well , i was hoping i wasnt gonna have to try to use an easy out in the post..but it all worked out
20141116_153948.jpg

The other day when it was cold (about 20 degrees) I pulled the starter 5 times (w/o CR) before it started.

Today it was about 45 degrees and she started on the second pull!

I guess the saw just likes warm weather better!

Latest posts

Back