362 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waitingoneden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I spent the better part of a day trying to get my old faithful Husqvarna 455 Rancher fired up to cut a couple cords of firewood today and felt no love from the Swedes. I believe I may have a stuck ring at this point. The saw turns over way too easy to be building any kind of compression. Enough about that.

The real reason I jumped on board with you guys is my hope that one of you have run a 362 C-M. Based on my previous mention of my previous mistress's passing you know I'm not a Stihl guy. I've just never felt right dropping $700-$1000 on a saw that I'm going to cut firewood with. We have a small farm in Northern Middle Tennessee and heat our home with wood. In the last few years we've also gotten into chainsaw milling a bit. It's not the most efficient process in the world but it's certainly economical. My old Husky did well for the 7 years I ran it and I'm sure will do ok for a few more once I've got it back on its feet. Nonetheless, I have wood to cut and the old girl won't hit a lick and I could stand a mild upgrade. That 455 is by no means a boss when you hang a 20" chain into ripping a 16' log. Thoughts on the Stihl 362 C-M for our application?

The 362 is a good saw. Personally, don't think I'd want to use one for milling. I'm sure it can be done, but there's about two dozen models I'd rather use (more displacement, adjustable carbs). Perhaps a two or three saw plan would be a better option. A 261 or 362 for firewood duty and a big saw for occasional big stuff and milling. Something like a stihl 660 or Husky 390/395. It wouldn't be my preference, but I could do everything I need to with just my 261 and 660.

For milling, I personally wouldn't use anything that small. I'd be looking at least 70cc. Maybe a husky 372xp since you seem to like husky. The echo 590 timberwolf is also a great saw. At around $400 it's an awesome saw. Again, a little small for milling but I don't know how much you do. A lot depends on your budget and if you want more power or less weight.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I am a diehard Stihl guy now but a 362cm isn't what I recommend. Speaking strictly from a firewood duty saw I would look at a Dolmar / Makita 6100. If you are able to service and look after your own equipment I would PM @fordf150 or @MillerModSaws and get a price from them. You'll save a couple hundred on your purchase I'm sure.

Take the money you save and put it towards saving for a 90cc saw for milling with.

I bought a ms 362 cm this week, first cuts on saturday man let me tell you this thing is fast. I have only used small saws before this and was completely amazed by this saw. I was cutting green blowdowns my brother in law let me have (I'm not done getting them up). She wears a 20 inch bar and we were cutting red oak that the bar was just big enough to make it through to the other side and she never bogged down just let her cut at her desired pace and after two tanks I got a couple more hours of splitting to do before we will be done. I cant even imagine what she will be like when she is broke in 5-15 tanks I can't keep up whith the girl now. I dont know anything about milling but for firewood shes a beast.

I am a diehard Stihl guy now but a 362cm isn't what I recommend. Speaking strictly from a firewood duty saw I would look at a Dolmar / Makita 6100. If you are able to service and look after your own equipment I would PM @fordf150 or @MillerModSaws and get a price from them. You'll save a couple hundred on your purchase I'm sure.

Take the money you save and put it towards saving for a 90cc saw for milling with.
I'm glad you pointed this out. I was thinking the same but I didn't want to sound like I was bashing stihl. I've never ran a 362. I'm sure it's a great saw, I just feel in the 60cc range, there are better options for less money.

I had the 455 Husky and I currently have the 362c. The 455 is a dog and a heavy boat anchor. The 362 will absolutely run circles around the 455 but it is also kind of heavy for just firewood. My suggestion is get the 261 and a 461. Or a Husqvarna 350 and a 372 or 390. For the money you get more power per dollar out of a Husqvarna I think then you will out of a stihl. Although I am a DieHard Stihl fan. If you go with Husky stay with Husky if you go with stihl stay with stihl. All your bars would be interchangeable, That way and you wouldn't have a large inventory of bars for each saw.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback gents. Based on availability in my area I'm leaning heavily toward flipping to a Stihl. I certainly appreciate the affirmation of the thought process on having a couple of saws on either end of the spectrum. I've been thinking I need to bite the bullet and get a bigger saw for the milling and I know I need one a little lighter than that rancher for cleaning up tops and such for a while now. I'm going to go look a couple saws at Rural King and see what I can score there and I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks again for all the info and ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the 455 Husky and I currently have the 362c. The 455 is a dog and a heavy boat anchor. The 362 will absolutely run circles around the 455 but it is also kind of heavy for just firewood. My suggestion is get the 261 and a 461. Or a Husqvarna 350 and a 372 or 390. For the money you get more power per dollar out of a Husqvarna I think then you will out of a stihl. Although I am a DieHard Stihl fan. If you go with Husky stay with Husky if you go with stihl stay with stihl. All your bars would be interchangeable, That way and you wouldn't have a large inventory of bars for each saw.

As much as I'd like to jump on board with a commercial grade Husky the closest dealer around that has reasonable inventory of parts (especially for a commercial saw) is in Nashville which is over an hour away. I have several Stihl dealers within a 10 mile radius that carry a full inventory of parts.

I wouldn't let parts availability sway you away from husky if that's what you really want. There are some really good dealers right here in these forums. You could get a saw from them or just get parts as needed. An hour drive isn't terrible and today's saws are very reliable with just routine maintenance. You can get just about anything shipped right to your doorstep anymore.

I wouldn't worry about an hour drive. The times you need to go to the dealer will be few and far between if at all. The only time I have ever needed the dealer was when I needed a new saw, Or to drool. I do fix my own saws though so if you can't do that then yes a dealer close would be nice, but most dealers I've seen have bad mechanic's so you are better off coming here anyway, saving yourself the money and headache. The one thing I use most is chain and files, and you can get them almost anywhere or online. Keep 2 bars for each saw 4 chains each bar and 12 files and a couple rim drive sprockets and air cleaners on hand and you should be good to go.

I don't know the situation in your area but here in PA many hardware stores sell husky and home depot sells echo. I don't buy my saws from them but they usually have a good stock so it's a good way to compare and get the feel of them. Maybe take a few hours and bounce around dealers and check out your options. The most important thing is you being happy with the saw. Compare some different models that you like and what you think will fit your needs. In all reality, there probably isn't a good saw for firewood and milling. Probably better with 2 saws if that's an option. A small saw just doesn't mill very well and a big powerful saw will mill much better but totally wear you out just cutting firewood. It's a pretty big gap to bridge.

I own both ms 362 cm and 562 xp and have run my buddys 6100. For the money 6100 is hard to beat. That being said theres no way you could pry my hands awsy from my ms 362. One word durable !!!! My husqvarna is on its third carb the 6100 has a goofy easy start (which you can modify ) the 362 has had no issues. Better air filtration than a 562. My 562 does rip !! Ive timed both and took both to the woods on a regular basis. I'll take realability and great air filtration any day.

I own both ms 362 cm and 562 xp and have run my buddys 6100. For the money 6100 is hard to beat. That being said theres no way you could pry my hands awsy from my ms 362. One word durable !!!! My husqvarna is on its third carb the 6100 has a goofy easy start (which you can modify ) the 362 has had no issues. Better air filtration than a 562. My 562 does rip !! Ive timed both and took both to the woods on a regular basis. I'll take realability and great air filtration any day.

Amen to all of the above!! I have a 562, a Stihl 261, 201, & 200. The 562 is very fast, and is nice to handle, but it took 3 carbs to make it reliable. It is a 2013 model. The new 362CM is lighter than the 562. Also, I have done a lot of milling with an old (1983 or so model) Jonsered 920 (87.9 cc). I wouldn't recommend anything smaller for that type of work. If you do not mill anything wider than 12in, the 461 should handle it. If you go bigger in hardwoods, 90cc would be my choice. Good luck with your decision!

I have a 362 standard carb, I kept a 20" bar on it never tried a 25" never would I cut mainly hardwood....about 2-years ago I got a 461 after much debate, could NOT be happier.....I sold the 362 I just didn't use it anymore.....I keep a 18" bar on the 50cc saws and once the wood gets up to 20" I break out the 461....

I will say even though I sold the 362, the saw was dead realiable and did all I ever ask of it with a 20"...

Ou you are planing on cutting wood over 20" a lot and milling, get a 461....

If you are cutting mainly 20" and under get the 362...

I run around 30% 20" and larger wood and it's been a challenge with the Husky I had so I'll likely be holding out on a larger saw for the milling. Thinking on a 90cc+ saw. I'll likely need to get my hands on a project due to budget restraints but I'd imagine I can happen across something worth an overhaul before spring. I did pick up a 261c yesterday because I had a couple of trees that needed moved before the rain sets in for the week. It runs great and should do most of what I need for firewood. It is a little funky going from the Husky to that Stihl though. This one doesn't have a primer (doesn't seem to need it) or choke (more of an enrichiner) and the kill switch is opposite that on my Husky but I'll get used to it.

Thoughts on any kind of upgrade or if it's even worth the trouble on my old 455 rancher? It was a good saw until this issue popped up a couple of weeks ago. I'm just unsure of what that case will hold up to and what would bolt in.

Back