Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went up to Chehalis this afternoon. Stopped by the saw shop and took a look at the 362. Looks a lot like a 361 with $100 added to the price. No chance to fire one up as they're a bit out of my price range.

ill tell ya its worth that extra 100 it is a monster in comparison

I've never ran one, only held one...but really? Just looking at Stihl's site it has less than a %5 hp increase, but it's also 9.x% heavier. The bigger difference I would think is that they claim it has 20% less fuel consumption, and 50% less emissions. There's about a $70 dollar difference here. Now imo I do think the lower fuel consumption, and the lower emissions with a small hp bump is amazing.

Last edited:
I've never ran one, only held one...but really? Just looking at Stihl's site it has less than a %5 hp increase, but it's also 9.x% heavier. The bigger difference I would think is that they claim it has 20% less fuel consumption, and 50% less emissions. There's about a $80 dollar difference here. Now imo I do think the lower fuel consumption, and the lower emissions is amazing.

Every report so far has been impressive. Where the 361 screams with HP, the 362 seems to scream with torque. I'm looking forward to running one but don't know when I will. I need another saw like a hole in my head.:dizzy:

Every report so far has been impressive. Where the 361 screams with HP, the 362 seems to scream with torque. I'm looking forward to running one but don't know when I will. I need another saw like a hole in my head.:dizzy:

Very true the difference in torque curves could make a heck of a difference. I don't know if they publish that info anywhere? I would also like to try one.

You stop by service saw there at I-5 or go into Madsens. I try to stick with service saw for stihl stuff. Service saw is more likely to deal a bit. They have also been in town a really long time.

It's about time the plastic saws relearned the value of torque.........

Casey

it costs $709(20") still 120- 150 less then 460

Last edited:
ill tell ya its worth that extra 100 it is a monster in comparison

ive seen one run with a ported 361 at ericks gtg

BS.....I was there too and just barely beat the 362 with my stock 262xp....I think your cornfused on that one....

TRI955,

From stihlboy's two posts I'm assuming that the 362 smoked a ported 361. Are you saying this is not so? I don't know enough about the 262xp to know where it should shake out against the stihls. Just wondering.

Thanks.

I've been on the diesel forums a-lot lately since my powerstroke crapped out so I haven't been over here lately. I did get to take a demo out for a few hours the other day and heres my report. If your a fan of the 441 such as myself this is your all around saw. I had a 361 an just couldn't see it pulling a 24" in hardwoods at all. The 362 was given to me with a 24" and rsc, I dropped 13 soft maples for a guy into his field for him and he wanted them blocked up for his grandson to make firewood. The saw was flawless, this obviously wasn't the hardest wood we cut but it wasn't pine either. Very well balanced and a ton of torque for face and backcuts, very fuel conservative as well. Now the reasons I wouldn't buy one. Price! the 441 isn't much more and simply smokes the 362 as it should while the weight felt very similiar. Reason#2, as long as the 372 is around I would have no reason for a 362 since I would outfit a 20" bar on it and it simply is a little bulky for the way I would use it. In closing, I see no reason why the guy who wants to save $100 and uses it for residential heating and has no need for a larger bar wouldn't want this saw. From a commercial stand point it's not the in betweener the 361 is yet to pricey to not go up a class in displacement. Oh yeah I forgot to mention, if you've ran a 270 or 441 this saw may be the smothest of the three. I give this saw an 8, it would be a 10 if it was priced a tad lower or you just wanna cut some firewood.

TRI955,

From stihlboy's two posts I'm assuming that the 362 smoked a ported 361. Are you saying this is not so? I don't know enough about the 262xp to know where it should shake out against the stihls. Just wondering.

Thanks.

no i had mistaken the 5100 for the 362, but the 362 was a bit more powerful than the 361

TRI955,

Thanks.

I think that is what he was trying to say but it just didn't happen. All the saws a comparable. I think the 262xp was competition for the 036/360 back in the day but it still keeps up with the current 362 also.....the 362 was brand new and not broken in yet. I'm sure that a broken in 362 would beat the 262xp but it would still be close.

The 362 wasn't close to any ported 361. It has a slight edge on a stock 361. Big difference there. And yes, I would expect a ported 50cc saw to beat most any stock 60cc saw in cant racing.

From these times, it looks VERY close to a ported 361. A few more tanks of fuel for the rings to seat and that saw will out run a ported 361. Very impressive.:clap:

5) Brad 361BB woods ported with 044 carb... 1.97
6) Nik (fatguy) 361 BS woods ported.......... 2.09
7) Brad 361BB woods ported with 044 carb... 2.12
8) Nik 361 BS woods ported................... 2.16
9) Mike Super3 262 Stock?????...................... 2.16
10) Brad 361BB woods ported with 044 carb.... 2.19
11) Andyshine Stihl MS362 stock??????????..... 2.29

Back