372-385 hybred

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
overbore on 372 cylinder

Hello wade, (crowe)
Good to hear from you. How have you been? Yes I've done other sized barrels for these two fallers. tried to talk them out of it just on the cost basis but I must say after doing it that you get a big sense of accomplishment .Its like modifing a 283 chevy block and having it outrun a 350 engine. now you could have bought a 350 in the first place but then the fun of modifing the283 block and having it outrun the bigger engine is gone. When we modified the 372 barrels and ran themThey were very fast. faster than a stock 385 and cut in the wood at around 13,000 rpm. the fallers also have modified 385's but like to cut with the hybred 372's better. anyway if you take this task on port the barrel first then bore it and have it plated last, the nicosil plating us chrome uses is about 5 times harder than factory nicosil. I dont know what they add to the nicosil but it is very hard. They got some oversprayed nicosil on portions of the combustion chamber. my lathe wouldn't touch it, so it took about 1.5 hours to grind it off. talked to rich at u.s.chrome and he said that was to be removed at their shop. later barrels came out fine. anyway this is a good wintertime project and I recommend you go for it. you 'll never know if you dont try it. when you run that saw against 385's,066's, and 372's every one will want to know where you got that saw and what was done to it. Just tell them that you got it at a garage sale but did change the spark plug and that made the difference.
ken
[email protected]

Thanks Ken

Thanks again Ken for your response and advice on the matter. I having been doing well as of late wasn't able to get online for a while due to the fact that my house burnt down, however that is water under the bridge no one was hurt and I am getting ready to take on the project of rebuilding a new house very soon so I will have plenty to keep me busy. It has been so cold here we cant get the skidder to climb the hill its like a sheet of ice and hard as steel coming up out of the holler were working in so were taking a break for a day or two until the cold weather clears. Anyway, Thanks again Ken and take care Wade Huggins

thanks for bringing this thread back from the long lost search archives. I just made a post about this on hotsaw forum. I have all the contact info now, just need to decide if it is worth the cost.....

thanks
steve

Freakingstang said:
thanks for bringing this thread back from the long lost search archives. I just made a post about this on hotsaw forum. I have all the contact info now, just need to decide if it is worth the cost.....

thanks
steve

Steve what was the dollar amount you figured up?

Sorry Adam, I must have missed this one. I don't recall the cost off of the top of my head, but Ken posted them back in the first page.

Ken, if you are still out there, What for a piston did you use? I hate to steal of all of your screts, but the 385 piston won't work from what I see. The pin diameters are differant.

I was just wondering if there was a special made piston (weisco, etc) or if there was an "off the self" piston that may work.

I had thought about this, but kinda lost intrest. I would be interested in hearing how the saws are doing out in the field. IT would make for a fun work saw, imo.

Thanks
-Steve

any 372-385 updates

Does anybody have any info on how these modified/sleeper 372 hybrids are holding up ? Its been quite some time since this thread was started.

Last word from Ken on these was that one got smashed and the other developed an air leak after about ten months in the woods...

Plus, the title is a little misleading as many people thought that he was putting a 385 piston in an overbored 372, which wasn't the case.

Latest posts

Back