I had C.A.D. bad this winter, check it out...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm56

NOT blinded by brand...
Reaction score
My cure for C.A.D. this past winter.

View attachment 180779

Dolmar 5105, Echo CS 600P, Echo CS 530, Husky 346 XP

I started out to buy 2 saws this past winter and ended up with 4. I won't bore you with the details of how that happened but will give my thoughts on how each performs.

Dolmar 5105. I bought this used on Ebay. Long story short is it definitely had more time than the owner indicated, but it was obvious he knew how to maintain a saw. It started well and ran OK out of the box. Then I pulled the muffler and removed the cat, trimmed the limiters and tuned it. Top rpm was 14,500 then I fattened it up to reduce it to 13,700. 20 inch bar and full chisel. It is strong and cuts well. I kind of knew what to expect from this one as I have a 510, it feels pretty much the same except for the longer bar and higher revving engine. Nice saw.

Echo 600P. This saw was muff modded and had the limiters cut by the previous owner. Saw did not see a lot of use and it showed. Started on the second pull and idled right down. Made a few cuts and it seemed pig rich. Went and got the tach, no wonder, 10,000 rpm was it! Started working through the high speed adjustment and found that 13,000 rpm was tops. Fattened it up to lower RPM down to 12,200. WHAT a DIFFERENCE. Saw was now peppy and powerful. 20 inch bar and 3/8 LGX. Cuts about equal to my Stihl 360 Pro, not as good as the Makita 6401. Nice saw, feels good.

Echo CS 530. This saw was the sleeper of the bunch, almost no use and it showed. Started right up and what a surprise! Light, peppy and quick. I took it in the shop to operate on the muffler and another surprise, NO CAT in the muffler. So I settled for opening up the exhaust pipe from 13/64 to 7/16, actually quite a bit. I also took the dremel to the deflector over the screen and opened that up, pulled the limiters and proceeded to tune her up. 14,500 rpm tops and I fattened her up to reduce that to 13,700. 20 inch 325 semi chisel WP chain. This saw really cuts and feels good, better than my 028 and 290 Stihl's. Shocked I am.

Husky 346 XP. Saved what many if not all here would say is the best for last. She is brand new so I am taking my time breaking her in. Have made no adjustments yet but I can tell you she is SWEET, feels REAL good in the hands and what quick bursts of power! She does not appear to be a lugger though, she seems to love RPM and a medium touch.

Anyway there is a quick rundown of some different saws from someone that is not blinded by brand. They are all good saws and will serve me well. There is not a loser in the bunch!

Good to hear. Glad to see that you are above the brand loyalty fad. I love my Stihls (excellent dealer network here), my Homelites, will never part with my 372XPW, and can agree that the 6401 is a VERY strong saw!
Echo makes a fine saw, my lineup is full- but wouldnt hesitate to own one if I had the need. I do have a JD 55V in my collection, and that has been a dandy as well.

Good to hear. Glad to see that you are above the brand loyalty fad. I love my Stihls (excellent dealer network here), my Homelites, will never part with my 372XPW, and can agree that the 6401 is a VERY strong saw!
Echo makes a fine saw, my lineup is full- but wouldnt hesitate to own one if I had the need. I do have a JD 55V in my collection, and that has been a dandy as well.

Im with you pro. I am a little partial to husky but I like bein able to have the best of both worlds. I may be gettin ready to tie into a 660 here shortly. man, them stihl's sure are purdy!!

Nice! REP given!

180779d1303340055-p1010032-jpg

Goes to show CAD takes on many flavors and colors. Nice work -- rep sent.

BTW -- you have me intrigued with your CS530 comments -- may have to keep an eye for one.

Your Neighborhood should look like a Prarie by next winter with all those special saws running around:rock: Nice collection...

Back