372 xp bar length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomstank

Reaction score
Amateur chainsaw user----I have a great walnut tree potentially yielding 4-6 foot round slabs which I would like to use for table /bench furniture.
What's the largest bar length i can place on my 372xp and cut "ROUNDS' from this already felled tree. Max recomended is 28 in------can i exceed this?
what type chain?

Amateur chainsaw user----I have a great walnut tree potentially yielding 4-6 foot round slabs which I would like to use for table /bench furniture.
What's the largest bar length i can place on my 372xp and cut "ROUNDS' from this already felled tree. Max recomended is 28 in------can i exceed this?
what type chain?

You can try a bigger bar and if it wont handle it you can go back to the 28. The only thing is it's pricey to buy all this stuff and it not work. We have a 372xp but it to just pulls a 24" for our use. Maybe you can talk a friend into trying there bigger bar on for size then you'll know. Good luck and saw safe.
Joe

The real question would be how much bar can your oilier support?Really you can use a very large bar with light pressure or even holdin up on ot a bit.won't be very fast but it will do the job.

I don't know what walnut is worth out there (especially that big)- but maybe someone with a big saw will come cut it up for you in exchange for some wood? I don't know about out there- but in this area a lot of the hardwood trees have metal in them. My brother in law just ruined a new chain the other day trying to cut up some walnut. He said there was an old horseshoe in it!

If you are looking into making furniture and the like, you might want to try to find someone with a portable band mill to make lumber out of it for you. If you want to do it yourself, maybe you can look through the milling forum for help.

i feel at home with the 32" on my 372 and it oils plenty. i would not hesitate to ruin 36" , thats the longest id go on that saw

yeah.

i just pickedd up a full comp and will try it this season.

but my saw is ported and muffler modded so it has alittle more grunt then stock

I've run a 28" with full comp. I have a 32" stihl bar and a brand new square full comp chain for it. I think it would be nose heavy with a regular bar. The stihl bar puts it real nose heavy. I have one of these in 28" that I'll probably put on it next weekend when I get home. I think a 32" reduced weight would work pretty good. That seems like what the PNW guys run on them all the time.
004-5.jpg

If the saw is stock a 28" is pretty hard on it. Ported a 28" doesn't really strain the saw bad. That's what I run on everything but the 5105. I don't know which saw I want to put the reduced weight bar on.

If the saw is stock a 28" is pretty hard on it. Ported a 28" doesn't really strain the saw bad. That's what I run on everything but the 5105. I don't know which saw I want to put the reduced weight bar on.

Good point...I was referring to a 24" in hardwoods as a mas for a stock saw. A modded saw will run up to a 32" (that is all I have ran) on that saw.

I break out a bigger saw if I need anything more than a 28" now....

32" full skip oregon rd ground chain.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20vids/GEDC1566.flv">

very dry redfir. its seasoned for 8 plus years

I guess I should have mentioned that I run a 36 on my 460 when I need to with a full skip chain.Its alittle bigger than a 372 but it works it pretty hard,I just keep the rpms in the sweet spot.

That is going to be tedious work. GOod luck keeping the cuts straight, working from both sides.

If you want smooth cookies cut out of a big tree, your odds of good results go up exponentially when you have a bar large enough to cut in a single pass.

Big_Oak.jpg

Me I run a 32" bar on the 372xpw but it a skip tooth chain. dont think I would go any bigger than that! :cheers:

Mine is stock except for a Muff Mod.

28" is the limit for full comp. It's comfy there but you can't push it.
32" with skip is about the same.

Porting will add 15-20% grunt, so maybe a 28" with full comp would be more forgiving, and 32" with skip would be breezy.

I wouldn't go further than 32" myself though. If I need more Bar, I'd start looking for a 390XP.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back