372XP bar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huskykid141

huskykid141

ArboristSite Operative
I just got a 372XP a couple of weeks back and after reading all of the bar lengths it will push i was wondering how it would push a 28 inch bar with a skip chain on it? The saw came with a 20 inch bar and i bougt a 24 inch bar off a friend that was selling the almost new bar and chain for 40 bucks. Any feed back on my question will be good, thanks.
:greenchainsaw:

redprospector

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
I use a 28" with full comp. on my 372 all the time.
Granted, I'm only cutting the lowly softwood, but I'm also at almost 9000' elevation and that means about a 30% loss of power. So I would think that even in hardwood at a lower elevation a 372 should do well with a 28" bar & skip chain.

Andy

Hugenpoet

Hugenpoet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not too much timber in Rhode Island that is going to require more than a 24" bar on a regular basis.

There are at least two schools of thought about bar length; the first says that a longer bar will save wear and tear on your back, and the second says that a shorter bar will stay out of the dirt and keep the chain sharp longer. Take your pick.

redprospector

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not too much timber in Rhode Island that is going to require more than a 24" bar on a regular basis.

There are at least two schools of thought about bar length; the first says that a longer bar will save wear and tear on your back, and the second says that a shorter bar will stay out of the dirt and keep the chain sharp longer. Take your pick.

You forgot the third "school of thought".
Run a long bar, and learn to control your saw therefore keeping the bar out of the dirt. :dizzy:

Andy

RiverRat2

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
I just got a 372XP a couple of weeks back and after reading all of the bar lengths it will push i was wondering how it would push a 28 inch bar with a skip chain on it? The saw came with a 20 inch bar and i bougt a 24 inch bar off a friend that was selling the almost new bar and chain for 40 bucks. Any feed back on my question will be good, thanks.
:greenchainsaw:

Should run the 28 W Full comp no problemo!!!!!!!

WACutter

WACutter

ArboristSite Operative
I run a 28" all of the time on my 372 with both semi and full skip and have never had a problem. It seems to balance very nicely too.

I think in these parts it may be illegal to run less than a 28" bar on a 70cc saw:cheers: