372xp big bore...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The carb to use is off of a husky 385/390. Use the air filter adaptor and choke lever off a 372XT and 372hd air filter. Trim the impulse tab off the intake boot and clock it so the carb will sit flat. Everything else should bolt up without a problem.

Cheers thanks for the info, I've already ordered a 372 xtorq carb, do you think there would be much of a difference between this carb and the 390 carb?
Thanks

It's been a while, but doesn't the XT carb have a divider, and jetted accordingly? What's the bore size?

XT has divider in intake boot and air filter holder no divider in carb. RWJ-4 Venturi size 19.04 don't know jet size but I will know as I have 3 of these complete setups for projects.
Shep

If no divider in the carb, all air going through the carb would be mixed with fuel, defeating the purpose of strato. How would that work? The venturi size on mine is 0.74x.

The Walbro RWJ-4 has a venturi bore of 19.04mm or .7496. The have no dividers in the carb. They also have a bore of .8825 at the throttle plate while the 385 carb is only .808.
Try one and tell me what you find.

Later
Dan

I've heard a couple guys mention that the "half venturi" in the XT carburetor presents idle/low speed running issues on a non-XT saw. I haven't tried it myself yet. I have a whole XT intake system to put on a XPW top end.

I've heard a couple guys mention that the "half venturi" in the XT carburetor presents idle/low speed running issues on a non-XT saw. I haven't tried it myself yet. I have a whole XT intake system to put on a XPW top end.

Try it and let us know how it works. I have that set up and I never seem to get around to trying it. I think with a little jet work it will work better then the 385 carb.

Later
Dan

Try it and let us know how it works. I have that set up and I never seem to get around to trying it. I think with a little jet work it will work better then the 385 carb.

Later
Dan

It's going to be October/November before I get to it. Fire season is already starting here and I'm heading out the door soon, probably to southern California.

It's going to be October/November before I get to it. Fire season is already starting here and I'm heading out the door soon, probably to southern California.

Wildfires suck !!! Thanks JJ, to you and all of the other people across this great nation , who help out in any way possible , with these horrific fires . My hat is off to you :clap: :clap: :clap: :bowdown: :bowdown:

If you know when you're passing through/near the SF bay area let me know the day before. I need to know which rig to wave to (or flip off) on its way by.:D

Good luck and be safe out there. Looks like it's gonna be a rough season for you guys.

There's another bigger carb that throttle and choke will hook right up

Walbro RWJ4

so you can run a 372XT high top filter, bored out filter adaptor , 372XT carb into a 390 intake boot, into an OEM 51.4mm or old style 50mm 372 cylinder? is that correct?

So I could make an XTORQ into an XPW by changing out the intake boot and P&C? which would actually be cheaper than swapping the top end of an original 372XP.

so you can run a 372XT high top filter, bored out filter adaptor , 372XT carb into a 390 intake boot, into an OEM 51.4mm or old style 50mm 372 cylinder? is that correct?

So I could make an XTORQ into an XPW by changing out the intake boot and P&C? which would actually be cheaper than swapping the top end of an original 372XP.
Correct on all accounts. You may also want to swap the cylinder cover too, unless the extra hole in the top for the moved decamp doesn't bother you. Either way will work.

It was a complete rebuild and port job. The first run was with all the components for that carb.

It's over a full sec. quicker than mine in the same wood.

Back