372xp Porting help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codyd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Needing some help on a Husqvarna 372xp (non X Torq) that I picked up a few days ago. The saw runs great and I decided to do a muffler mod last night. I have been reading this site and others for the past few weeks about porting and base gaskets, so I decided to give it a try. So far I only have done a little bit and only plan to widen the ports a little and clean up the casting marks. I also plan to delete the base gasket and my initial squish was .043. I have a few questions that have not been answered in the threads I have read up to this point.

1) After porting how much of a carb adjustment will I have to make? Guessing it will need more fuel because of the increased air flow. Will also need more from the MM. Any guess where I should start? I tuned it to my liking before i started all of this and I don't have a tach.

2) For my squish, I measured my base gasket at .020. That seems much thicker than what I have been reading, but it would make it come out at about the .020 mark that the majority of people on this site seems to consider the goal. Did I measure this wrong? I planned on not worrying about it and removing the gasket and then rechecking my squish.

3) How do you mark your cylinder so you know how far you can go with the port work? Do you just take a little bit and then check it with the piston? I used a pencil to mark my ports on the piston, and then measured amount I could take off and subtracted .08 to give myself enough room between the port edge and the open spot on the side of the piston. How do I get this measurement onto the cylinder walls so I can get an idea how far to go? My measurements are .105 on each side of the exhaust port and .065 on the intake. Does this sound about right? The rings ride in the center of the intake, so they should not be an issue.

Thanks for all your help so far. Getting addicted to this chainsaw modding very quickly.

1. No need for a tach just start at the factory setting and tune by ear.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaw-tuning-101.250802/

2. If your initial squish was .043 and your gasket is .02 that would make your squish .023. Just remove the gasket lightly bolt the cylinder down and recheck squish with solder. Sounds like you'll have more than enough clearance though.

3. Watch this video!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following. I also have a red 372xp non x-torq ( jred 2171 ) I'll be porting. Some folks will be along soon enough to give info.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

got it put back together this morning. Runs great so far. Just need to tune the carb a little more. Seems to die when pulled out of the cut. Guessing it needs a little more on the low side.

Anybody got any advice on porting an Echo 450p? It may be next on my list

Look up afleetcommand on youtube, he has a video that goes over some 372 mods. There is a lot of gains to be made from reducing squish (gasket delete) and case matching the transfers.

Have a look at my bolt for bolt vids on youtube.... afleetcommand channel is good too. Lots of stuff to learn....like drinking through a firehose.

However. ...might I suggest learning about tuning a carb before you start porting chainsaws. Easiest way to get gains is by having a sharp chain and a good tune.

Latest posts

Back