372xp restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, cant believe I missed the final update. Nice work. Glad Kim had what you needed. Hopefully they will be able to hook me up here soon

Resurrecting this thread:)

You didn't miss the final update because the Sugihara bar will be here soon, then it will be right. Been waiting a mighty long time for it but patience is a virtue...hadn't had much time to run it anyway :cry:

Update

I honestly can't believe I started tearing into this thing almost 2 summers ago. I also can't believe I hadn't burned through a bar yet :shame:

Been spending time with the toddlers and with home improvements like football etc...not much time for cuttin...I know, BLASPHEMY!

Well, I did cut a few logs with it and tuned by ear...had a coughing, 4-stroking, sound at WOT and went with it. I know Brad pointed out that there was obviously some work done on the jug, and I know i'm definately curious on how it will work buried in some wood.

I just received the Tiny Tach and went outside to set the carb for the colder weather. No vid yet but haven't tested it in wood either, I warmed it up and set the low and went to set the high. Granted the tabs are still on the mix screws so I do need to cut them off.

I turned it all the way rich and it ran kinda strong at WOT, I leaned it about 1/2 turn and it really screamed. Went back rich until it started burbling, then I opened it up slightly more...which bumped the stop. This is my question...the tach read 15,150 when it started 4-stroking, I turned it to the stop and it settled around 14,500-14,600.

How much can these motors take? I will get a vid in the next day or so or at least a sound clip but it seems to be running safely rich but may need to back it out more.

It's currently running Shell 89 with Racing 2T @ 50:1

Need to bump this since it looks like I won't have a day off until the weekend, so no vid yet. So are these acceptable RPM's or way too high? When I say it was 4-stroking it just started at just over 15K but had a decent "cough" around 14,500.

Obvioulsy there's no limiter so i'm curious as to what they can take.

Need to bump this since it looks like I won't have a day off until the weekend, so no vid yet. So are these acceptable RPM's or way too high? When I say it was 4-stroking it just started at just over 15K but had a decent "cough" around 14,500.

Obvioulsy there's no limiter so i'm curious as to what they can take.

I never take my 372's over 14,5000, makes no sense to do that for a work saw. But out of the wood revs don't mean much anyway, do a few cuts and then check the tune, it'll be less likely to 4stroke after a few long cuts, so you don't want it on the ragged edge of being lean, error on the side of caution.

Howdy,

I have a Husqvarna shop manual and it staes the max no-load rpm with bar and chain installed is 13,500. You should richen it up to avoid a bearing going out.:excruciating:

This is the same thread, didn't want to link this one to a new thread to avoid bouncing back and forth.

About the RPM's, I don't know where the Achilles heel is....whether it's the bearings, rod, etc. I agree 14500 is high.

Well then I think you could expect to see a few more R's with it being ported.

But do like Will said, and get it in the wood to see how its running

It certainly looks snellerized to me. Pull the gasket, a little more exhaust and intake duration but don't touch the transfers.

I think it would run well, better than stock.

don't put on a bb kit.

why no BB kit? i've heard good things about them. gives them alot more torque no?

Back