372xp vs 372xpw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keystonesaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this sight. I have been reading for a few weeks but just got signed up. I am in the market for a new saw. I have always been a stihl guy but I was burned on my last purchase. My neighbor is a logger and all they run is Huskys. I cut about 20 cords of firewood a year with the trees ranging from 20-30 inch red fir and tamarack. My neighbor is sugesting the 372xp but I am having trouble finding them local and am confused on the difference between the 372xp and 372xpw. Any feedback on pros and cons to this saw would be great. Also if someone has any idea how to get around the new pick up only deal from sights like Baileys. Thanks for looking

Try a search with the two models. The xpw has like 4-5 more cc's and a full wrap handle. Unless you are modding it most guys here will tell you to go for the xp, there isn't much difference in power and the xp is tried and true, almost like a MS440.:)

Email some of these husky dealers here, if you can keep it quite, I'm sure they will ship.:taped:

Try a search with the two models. The xpw has like 4-5 more cc's and a full wrap handle. Unless you are modding it most guys here will tell you to go for the xp, there isn't much difference in power and the xp is tried and true, almost like a MS440.:)

Email some of these husky dealers here, if you can keep it quite, I'm sure they will ship.:taped:

You got that right, as far as I know - if you left the 440 out - LOL.....:greenchainsaw:

I suggest the XP, same power, less weight and like someone said, Tried and true. Make your dealer order it or find another dealer. It always surprizes me when a dealer tells you what you want.

The weight issue has me confused. From what I can tell, the only diff is the full wrap handle. I have been told that the 372xpw is just bored out. If this is the case, my logging buddy has a few parts saw that I could rob a half wrap from. If I did this, wouldn't I end up with the same weight saw and 4 more cc? If all the parts are interchangable, it seems like a good deal to me.

The weight issue has me confused. From what I can tell, the only diff is the full wrap handle. I have been told that the 372xpw is just bored out. If this is the case, my logging buddy has a few parts saw that I could rob a half wrap from. If I did this, wouldn't I end up with the same weight saw and 4 more cc? If all the parts are interchangable, it seems like a good deal to me.

that is correct, the full wrap has a 1mm bigger bore, but the porting is less than ideal.

The regular 372xp is 70.7cc and the xpw is 74.5cc.

The run side by side in the wood. All the parts interchange.

Weight should be almost identical, except the full wrap weighing about 3 ozs more....

I would go with the 372xp. I see no advantage to the extra few cc's and unless you need a fullwrap handle why bother. The 372xpw apparently has less compression due to more clearance between the piston and the head. If you want to mod them I see no advantage, both can be made very fast and each has quirks when working them over from what I have read about. You will be very happy with a 372xp 20"bar and a good sharp chain. It is hard to compare modded saws because there are many factors that make a winner.

I am not much for moding my saws. I am not a mechanic. It would be nice to have another 4cc with the same weight saw but if I am sacrificing quality I am not sure it is worth it. My cutting partner already has a 2100 so if we get a big tree down with have the right tool. I am looking for something we can pack all day hence the 372 is very appealing with its weight to power ratio.

I am not much for moding my saws. I am not a mechanic. It would be nice to have another 4cc with the same weight saw but if I am sacrificing quality I am not sure it is worth it. My cutting partner already has a 2100 so if we get a big tree down with have the right tool. I am looking for something we can pack all day hence the 372 is very appealing with its weight to power ratio.

The quality is the same. the both make about the same power. Either one will treat you great.

All I was trying to say, is the larger one isn't going to smoke the smaller one, as lot of people seem to think that way. The will run right beside each other, and you wouldn't know the difference unless someone told you.

The quality is the same. the both make about the same power. Either one will treat you great.

All I was trying to say, is the larger one isn't going to smoke the smaller one, as lot of people seem to think that way. The will run right beside each other, and you wouldn't know the difference unless someone told you.

Any more torque in the xpw?
Look at the difference in the Dolmar/Makita range what would you have between the 6401 7300 and 7900? Its a no brainer the 7900 every time same weight but 6cc bigger than the 7300 more hp and torque.

Any more torque in the xpw?
Look at the difference in the Dolmar/Makita range what would you have between the 6401 7300 and 7900? Its a no brainer the 7900 every time same weight but 6cc bigger than the 7300 more hp and torque.

From what I have read, it looks like the 75cc version mostly is a EPA related thing, with less compression - but I understand they walk away from the 71cc ones, when properly modded........:greenchainsaw:

From what I have read, it looks like the 75cc version mostly is a EPA related thing, with less compression - but I understand they walk away from the 71cc ones, when properly modded........:greenchainsaw:

So there should be better returns for the same amount of modding.
Your starting with a 6% bigger engine.
I think i know which one Mr Snelling would go for:cheers:

From another tread;

Walks away? lol

I have seen modded 375's and modded 372's right beside each other. I don't understand why everyone is going gaga over them. It is 4cc and the chop saw cylinder looks to have a bigger combustion chamber...

As for compression, maybe the .038-.048 squish has something to do with it........

Yes, the modders have to do away with that high squish number, and I believe Ed does.........:greenchainsaw:

So if I buy the 372 or 375, what modds should I be looking to do out of the box. I am new to this. All I have done before is keep both my chains sharp and make sure my saw is tuned. I am ready to learn.

Thanks all for your input. I ordered a 372xp from baileys today. My neighbor's brother is picking it up for us along with a 385. I think the saw I am getting is a 372xpw but from what it sounds like, I would be happy with either. I am new at the "signature vs avitar" aspect of sites like this so hopefully I will have mine fixed like I want it with the help of my better half. My firewood buddy and myself have a: husky: 2100xp:blob2: 480cd:hmm3grin2orange: Stihl: 056 super:hmm3grin2orange: ms280:angry: 031av (rebuilding) :help:
Any mods you guys suggest out of the box on my new 372 would be appreciated.....:newbie:

Back