394 that will not start when hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logger170

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone have problems with their 394 husky that will not start when hot? My saw runs great until I shut it off or it runs out of gas then forget it, I try to start it with and with out choke and no luck. I pull out the plug and its always dry. I either have to dump gas in the cylinder or wait until its cold before it will start again. The fuel filter is new, the screen in the carb is clean and I have gone as far as buying a new carb but still no luck..... any help would be great
Thanks

It sounds like your carb is set too lean on the L side, try richening it up some, like a quarter turn out counter clockwise and see if that helps, you may have to adjust your idle screw in just a tad to allow some extra air to get it to idle without loading up but this usually works for all saws I have worked on.

If it is getting a good blue/white spark when you check it when it does the no restart, then it could be your tank vent or it could be your low side tune is too lean, if the spakr is not blue/ white then coil is weak/bad.

I dont know if the tank vent on the 394 is the same as the 395 but i was having a problem similar to that and it ended up being my tank vent line was pinched.

If I recall correctly, the 394 was known for vapor lock due to using a plastic intake. They cured it on the 395 by going to a rubber boot.

There also is a vented fuel cap you can get to help out or add extra protection from vent problems. I can't remember the part number but I'll search it here. Spark could be a problem with the coil cutting out when it gets warm and heat soaks.

part number for vented cap 503 82 80-04

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I dug up a thread where someone was looking for a 394xp coil. Someone reputable responded saying 1995 or 1996 and newer 394's were getting ignition coils from Husqvarna on the house.

It sure is a pain in the ass, I have 4 394's and they all do the same thing, I never had this problem back before they started putting ethenol in the gas

I just noticed your from New York as am I. I would say that your saws are pissed about New York trying to take our guns away from us and refuse to run. Just an idea.

There also is a vented fuel cap you can get to help out or add extra protection from vent problems. I can't remember the part number but I'll search it here. Spark could be a problem with the coil cutting out when it gets warm and heat soaks.

part number for vented cap 503 82 80-04

I ordered one of those caps....couldnt find any vent so I cut it in two just to see and it was just a solid green cap.

Well that's no good if they're selling it as a vented cap.

I'd bet on vapor lock as when he refuels it still won't start and if there was vacuum in the tank it would be gone when refueling. Make sure it's not tuned lean at all and all the fins are clean plus the starter cover and flywheel fins are clean all which will keep it cooler. Steve

:popcorn:
My 394 does the same. Will not restart after hot and refill.

Tagging along for possible solutions.

Latest posts

Back