394xp ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well now there are way more saws that I want than I can afford with my current salary, but I can still put my list together. I know a will be picking up a 2153 soon. Also I will be getting some old Husky for a project. The other saw that I have an itch for is the 394xp. There is just something about that machine that makes it so desirable to me.

I have done a bunch of cutting with my 372. I have also done a fair amount of cutting with my buddies 385. He also has a 394 that I believe he bought new back in 1998. I have held it and run it, but have never cut with it. I know that it is a lot of saw, and I would need to work into it, but man I want one of these things.

So I am just kind of keeping my eyes open for what is out there. Right now ebay does not appear to have any good ones on there. What can I expect to pay for one of these in good condition? I would go pick up a 395, but I will not use it that often, so I really can not justify that expense. Just thought I would get your thoughts before I dove in head first. Maybe someone knows somewhere to look that I do not.

Thanks,

Adam

I had the same feelings. I just picked up a 394xp for $400 fixed the chain and WOW!!!!!!!! what a saw!!!! This is the only saw I will ever use on big timber. Out with the 281 and in with the 394

Too bad you aren't closer or I would sell you my 394xp. It has been a great saw with up to a 42" bar but the dealer here just is not convenient for me. I buy only Stihl now because of that.

Good luck in your search. You will like the 394.

Highly reccomend the 394, powerfull, easy to start and handle, easy to work on, no problem getting parts.
I have 2 of them.
Sorry don't want to sell either.

So it seems like $400 is about the average price for one that is in decent shape. It would be an awesome saw for some of the bigger trees that we take down at the camp. Just one more thing I really do not need.

Adam

I am looking too and have seen most for 400 to 600 depending on the condition of the saw.

Great saw. I really like the powerband because they run like a Stihl with bottom end torque.

So it seems like $400 is about the average price for one that is in decent shape. It would be an awesome saw for some of the bigger trees that we take down at the camp. Just one more thing I really do not need.

Adam

How can you POSSIBLY say you don't NEED a 394xp???

Mine is my favorite saw! I bought it for about $300 on FleaBay and put another $100 into it cleaning / tuning it (new tall intake and filter, etc.). I also did a muffler mod on it that looks "stock" but definitely makes it a hoss to hold onto! My Stihl running friends drool over this one when it is time to work hard.

How can you POSSIBLY say you don't NEED a 394xp???

Mine is my favorite saw! I bought it for about $300 on FleaBay and put another $100 into it cleaning / tuning it (new tall intake and filter, etc.). I also did a muffler mod on it that looks "stock" but definitely makes it a hoss to hold onto! My Stihl running friends drool over this one when it is time to work hard.

I keep hearing the same thing, that everyone loves this saw. It seems a little difficult though to find one that is in good shape, and still intact. I will just have to look some more I guess.

I would really love to have the 395, but it is a little out of my price range like now. Also, for as much as it will get used, I think the 394 would fill that gap just fine.

Adam

Like I said, if you really want one, I'm trying to get rid of mine, it doesn't work well in my mill with the front adjuster, so even though I like the power of the 394 better, just for the side adjuster I'd like to go with the 066, or MS660. Everything on my 394 works great except the kill switch, but that never bothered me, I just pulled the choke. I just replaced the chain brake, brake handle, and clutch cover, along with the spark plug about 2 tankfulls ago, those parts alone were over $100. P&C look perfect, and its tuned pretty well right now, a tough on the rich side, but it still has plenty of balls to pull through anything I need it to. $400 and its yours.

Last edited:
I am constantly amazed with how smooth my 395 is. Yesterday I ran my 7900, 395, 3120 and 880 back to back. Man that 395 is sweet to run. Wish it were a couple lbs lighter, but I put up with it.

Plus after lugging the big boys around awhile somehow the 395 didn't seem so bad.

Latest posts

Back