395 and 660 video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the plug out of the 395. Is this more what you guys would like. To me it's still a touch lean.

169226d1295654131-171-jpg

That is lean for a working saw IMO, I like the way your 660 plug looked better.

the 395 might get some ass out of more fuel, lean running 2 strokes run great lean until they heat up, then they just get hollow. .

Would you run that 660 at say 15.5k rpms to have that color plug for work or would you run it like I've got it right now? That plug only has about 5 minutes of run time on it in the 395. It was brand new when I got it. It's almost 1.5 turns out now on the high for the 395. It runs a little better than it did in those videos.

The plug is out of it running 14200 as of yesterday when we checked it. I'm sure it could go leaner for cookie cutting and gain a lot with a short bar. It's not stock.

Would you run that 660 at say 15.5k rpms to have that color plug for work or would you run it like I've got it right now? That plug only has about 5 minutes of run time on it in the 395. It was brand new when I got it. It's almost 1.5 turns out now on the high for the 395. It runs a little better than it did in those videos.

If the plug is that new the color means very little IMHO.

If the plug is that new the color means very little IMHO.

Yeah I know. I'll run it a little more and get it tuned just right. I muffler modded it today. The 660 is tuned by ear. I was just stating what rpms it's at.

The 660 could maybe lean out some, you need to get it hot hot and go from there, but I think it is about right.

The 395 imo is lean, it sounds like you already addressed that issue though.

Also, it dont take long at all to get an accurate reading, as long as the motor reaches operating temp...

I like the tune on the 660 as when it's real hot like 5 straight cuts in oak with a 30" bar it's still plenty rich. I've not run it with the 41" but I think it'll be about right with it.

The plug is out of it running 14200 as of yesterday when we checked it. I'm sure it could go leaner for cookie cutting and gain a lot with a short bar. It's not stock.

That's a safe number, but if it's running dog rich you're not doing yourself any favors. At one time I tuned by rpm alone and everything was always way too rich, I mostly tune by ear, recheck when the saws nice and hot, than go to town.:dance:

I don't own a tach. Hillbilly was over and had his so I checked it. I just don't want it to be turning crazy rpms when I limb with it. I don't want it to come apart.

i dont even own a tach for checking saws. if it 4 strokes out of the wood and cleans up in the wood ,its ready to go. the rpm that it runs is dependent on whats been done to it. 14,200 is not too high and dont need to be set lower for a work saw. i have had saws checked and were turning 14,500 they were tuned by ear to 4 stroke out and clean up in th wood. they work every day,felling limbing and bucking. id leave the 395 alone and lean the 660 out a hair.

That's how I've always done it. The 660 cleans up pretty good in the wood. If Paul didn't have a tach I wouldn't know what rpms any of them were turning. I've never wanted one bad enough to buy one. I just think if it goes over 15k that's to much for a work saw.

Andy you going to come down to Terry's GTG?

That's how I've always done it. The 660 cleans up pretty good in the wood. If Paul didn't have a tach I wouldn't know what rpms any of them were turning. I've never wanted one bad enough to buy one. I just think if it goes over 15k that's to much for a work saw.

Andy you going to come down to Terry's GTG?

That would be nice, but I doubt I can make it. I know Mike moparman wants to go, it's looking like a good one.

That would be cool. I would like to run some of his slow junky saws.

Nice looking saws. I have 2 395s and both H needles are all the way in and they tac at 12700 and 4 stroke out of the wood. I used to run a couple of 660s but for what I was useing them 4 ( big wood) the 395 seemed to out perform them, and the air filter requiered less maintnace. My 395s with the H needle all the way in, there plugs are chocholate brown. I would post some pics but have had trouble doing so. I look forward to seeing them with the 41in bar burried. James

Back