395xp lackluster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would ya bother carting around a 3120 or will a 395 do it just well enough? Just how far will a stock 395 go?
I’ve considered it many times. Honestly I’d be more interested in tracking down an Echo 1201.

I am pretty happy with the 395 though. Most times, it’s plenty of saw. For me it has become kind of the versatile saw for big stuff while still being great for running a 32. I still keep a 70ish cc saw close.

Would ya bother carting around a 3120 or will a 395 do it just well enough? Just how far will a stock 395 go?
no, not unless I had to, the weight alone vs speed just isn't there if you don't need a big bar. Truthfully I don't like felling with my 395xp, my 390xp pulls a 36" nearly as well and is much more nimble in the hands. Didn't care for felling with the 084av for the same reason. Most big trees I deal with the 36" will take care of single pass, at most have a little left over for a double pass. I'd love to have a 3120xp but it would be a shelf queen for 99%of its life. (Actually I'd like to have my old 084 back, but it didn't get used much so my cousin got it.)

Local guy I take care of his 94's 95's told me he will run those up to a 42" most times. 42 over he get out the Jason Egan ported 3120.

He uses 94's 95's with 20-24 for felling trees. He is a torque junky.

Attachments

• h3120394mmm.jpg
    h3120394mmm.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • h395s.jpg
    h395s.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 0
  • h312044.jpg
    h312044.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
no, not unless I had to, the weight alone vs speed just isn't there if you don't need a big bar. Truthfully I don't like felling with my 395xp, my 390xp pulls a 36" nearly as well and is much more nimble in the hands. Didn't care for felling with the 084av for the same reason. Most big trees I deal with the 36" will take care of single pass, at most have a little left over for a double pass. I'd love to have a 3120xp but it would be a shelf queen for 99%of its life. (Actually I'd like to have my old 084 back, but it didn't get used much so my cousin got it.)
I'm a Stihl guy by trade. But, I have worked on several 395's and 394's and they will run with any MS660 or MS661.

So, I think the OP is a moron. You just need to figure out why ?

I got a old 298 I gave don.t remember how much. At the time 25 years ago was thinking the 298 is getting old and should up date. I bought a used 394 on Ebay. I think 300 hundred bucks. I got it DOA a little upset. To start I never seen a fuel tank with so much dirt. I bought original parts piston cylinder bearing seals. Was in deep money wise. Could have bought a new one and learn nothing. I never touch the 298 for repairs. How the rubber parts survived is crazy no gas line carb parts? Any 2 series just run. I use the 394 as a wood splitter in hardwood very robust. Run a 404 chesil chain about 107 drive links. A 395 that does not rocket threw wood has a problem.

I got an old 298 I gave don.t remember how much. At the time 25 years ago was thinking the 298 is getting old and should up date. I bought a used 394 on Ebay. I think 300 hundred bucks. I got it DOA a little upset. To start I never seen a fuel tank with so much dirt. I bought original parts piston cylinder bearing seals. Was in deep money wise. Could have bought a new one and learn nothing. I never touch the 298 for repairs. How the rubber parts survived is crazy no gas line carb parts? Any 2 series just run. I use the 394 as a wood splitter in hardwood very robust. Run a 404 chesil chain about 107 drive links. A 395 that does not rocket through wood has a problem.
In clearing jobs like the one I’m on, I’ll use the 395 for just about any stump that is more than 20 inches or so. Yesterday I flush cut 8 stumps that were about 3 foot and that is where that saw is much needed. Like you, I also noodle big rounds if there’s no grapple. It’s an ugly saw for ugly work. On anything requiring a 3 foot bar or more, they are pretty quick against anything in their weight class or smaller.

Latest posts

Back