3pt log splitter project splitfire clone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newoldschool

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I have a ford 3000 diesel that already has the remotes for a rear implement. I also have a friend with a normal self contained log splitter and I do not heat my home with wood just the work shop. I have a lead on a 3 point factory splitter but the guy is hit or miss as far as contact.

I have been kicking the idea of building one. I have built trailers and other things in the past. So I have cutting torch, welders and grinders.

Splitfire has cought my eye sence the 3pt will have a slower cycle time.

I already have a large square beam to use as the frame and plate to make stops and other bits.

Does anyone have a good shot of one dissembled? I'm looking for ideas to clone it as cheep as possible. Thanks again yall

Very difficult to build one cheaper than they can be bought on sale. I bought a speeco for the price of half the parts to make one. I'm building a 36" splitter and am afraid to add up the costs. I also have several that I have bought used to rob parts off them to build a custom one.

With 5gpm from the tractor hydro pump , it's gonna be on the slow side , I have a splitfire 4203 , I built a 13hp 16gpm 2 stage pump with a 10 gallon reservoir to run it , a 20+ hp and a 22gpm 2 stage would be the sweet spot with it .
If you got the square tube , look at these guys , if I put together another machine , this will be it .

http://timberdevil.com/en/

With a tractor that size it will be painfully slow as previously mentioned. If your only doing a small amount in the winter, it will be even slower yet till the fluid warms up.

If you want a project, then by all means do it. If it is strictly a money issue, it probably won't pan out is you do not have the valve, hoses or cylinder yet. Just being real with you here.

If you do build, make sure to make a foldable foot to support it when At you normal working height. In the air with out makes way too much bounce and puts you in a place to get hurt. Make it so you are not leaning when operating the handle. On the ground for the big ones, raise to do the rest. I ran one for years and glad I do not anymore.

Latest posts

Back