3pt Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machold

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking at 3 brands (because they are available in Ontario):
Speeco (Princess Auto)
SplitFire (manufacturer)
Wallenstein (manufacturer).

Speeco tells me theirs is 100% American designed & assembled with outsourced parts (Asia mostly). Cheapest price but maybe least reliable.

The other 2 are truly excellent products, 100% Canadian designed & built, not far from me.

Any recommends?

I have a Speeco that I have had about 4 years. So far it has been very dependable with no problems. I have a 90 hp John Deere that runs it and I just start the tractor and let it idle and it will split anything. I heat my house with fire wood and sell some once in a while, so it get's alot of use. I got mine on sale and paid around $500 US at Tractor Supply Company. So far I am very pleased. Good Luck

Before you buy a 3 point splitter make sure your tractor has the hydraulic pump capacity to run the splitter at the speed that you desire. Your going to need at least a 16 gallon a minute pump to run it at a decent speed.
You can always buy a pump to put on your pto shaft to get the capacity if your tractor has a low gpm pump. I have seen guys try to run them on older tractors with low volume pumps and they are horribly slow and not split as they should.

I have a hydraulic top link, so the remote is there. the GPM is 9, the Split-Fire can be operated with as low as 4 gpm. Thanks for the feed-back.

It will be slow as molasses from my expierence with a 11 gpm tractor pump.
You should rent one for a day and try it, also get some gnarly pieces. The reason I say this is that I own several tractors, the littlest JD has a 11 gpm pump tried it on a 3-point splitter and it wasn't worth a damn, slow and would stall out on nasty crotches. On my 6420 with a 29 gpm pump it split like it should. The 11 gpm tractor wasn't near as fast as a 11gpm honda powered splitter.

Although we have an American log splitter I'm always on the look out for a 3pt unicorn type splitter for the tractor.

...yeah, you have to pay attention when you work with them. But I appreciate its simplicity and efficiency.

A poster on ********** has one with a static bar that the log rests on. Perfect for those of us... 'that do our fathers work'.

Some day a Federal regulator will declare and end to urinals ... "why you could fall down while standing there and doing your business". Many will say 'well that sounds reasonable' and comply.

Well I'm not with THEM.

Machold, I have 2 3pth splitters and using a kubota tlb they are pretty slow. I also bought a 28 ton Speeco with it's own motor. Much easier using the speeco. I paid $1550 for the speeco taxes in when it was on sale. I would really think hard about getting a 3 pth hitch one as it also ties up the tractor.
I also have a unicorn but have only used it a couple of times, someday I will put it on a posthole digger and get some use out of it.

I have the TSC speeco 3pt and it works great! I agree that cycle times are slow if used on anything less then about 15 gpm. I use mine on a skid steer loader with 22 gpm and the cycle times are perfect!

I'll bet you'll be north of 20 seconds closer to 25 with a 11 gpm off a tractor.
Their will be no danger of getting your hand in it.lol I absolutley hated the one I had, unless it was on the 125 hp Deere then it damn sure wasn't fuel efficent or a good use of engine time.

I'll bet you'll be north of 20 seconds closer to 25 with a 11 gpm off a tractor.
Their will be no danger of getting your hand in it.lol I absolutley hated the one I had, unless it was on the 125 hp Deere then it damn sure wasn't fuel efficent or a good use of engine time.

At 11gpm this log splitter will put in a 14 second cycle time.

Kevin @ speeco

The Split-Fire operates in both directions, so there is no wait time for the return. And will operate with a little as 4gpm.

then it damn sure wasn't fuel efficent or a good use of engine time.

I would rather have less to maintain and work on 1 thing more often. As in I have enough technical things to remember, I don't need more. Also mechanical things just work better when they are used.

I don't like the speeco model at TSC as it is perpendicular to the tractor. Just not enough room. I like the beam hanging out and away.

I believe my three point splitter was a swisher, I know on a JD 45hp with 11 gal a minute pump it didn't even come close to 11 seconds, it must have a small cylinder on it. My TB with 11 gal min takes close to 19 seconds. I think the boys need to go do a little real world testing. They need to consider the flow restrictions you get with hydraulic couplings.

I believe my three point splitter was a swisher, I know on a JD 45hp with 11 gal a minute pump it didn't even come close to 11 seconds, it must have a small cylinder on it. My TB with 11 gal min takes close to 19 seconds. I think the boys need to go do a little real world testing. They need to consider the flow restrictions you get with hydraulic couplings.

What size cylinder does the Swisher have on it? Bore and length are going to have a lot to do with cycle times. Also, whether your tractor actually puts out what it is specd for is another variable. Also, the viscosity of the hydro fluid used can affect speed too.

Mac, not sure what my cycles times were but I know I was waiting on it more often than not. I was always going to put stroke limiters on it but my wood is all different lengths so I didn't get around to it. I'm pretty happy with the TSC Speeco and don't think it's slow. like I said earlier having a self powered splitter is pretty handy. Even if the engine calves I would just throw a cheap one on it and carry on until it blew.
Only downfall is all the neighbours want to borrow the Speeco. Very few asked to borrow my 3 pth ones.

Got the Split-Fire, yesterday. Works like a charm; love the bi-directional splitting, saves time. This machine is very solidly built and well worth the money ($1099CDN). I can recommend it for anyone looking for a 3pt splitter.

About 14 secs (my pump is 9gpm). Not as fast as a motorized splitter, but good enough; since it's bi-directional, it gives me time to load both ways.

Latest posts

Back