4 cedars, RBtree and two grunts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To answer a few posts.....

my 7900 needs a new chain, so I didn't use it much. That left my 42" bar equipped 13.42176543 horsepower Greffardized 3120 ( I only run it with 42 and longer bars.) I left my DP660 home as it had a chain saw mill on it. I run it with a 36 inch normally. Next was the ehp 372-75cc-28", then 357ehp-20" and 346 ehp-18". An employee had my only 200T, so rather than use my ehp 192T, or my last remaining 335's that I'm not enamored with, I broke in Jason's brand spanking new 200T for him...hehheh. also, currently both my 5100S Dolmars are equipped with 16' bars....so there was no need for them on this job. Soon, I'll be equipping the ehp one with a 20", as it has more than enough power to pull that length with nary a whimper--in softwoods anyhow. But, running it with the shortie is pretty danged fun....the wood just whimpers, and falls apart...:greenchainsaw:

Cedar is paying ~ $900mbf if the lengths are 16-31 feet, and close to $1200mbf for long logs....

Andy, who is buying shorties and at what price? I think Green Crow buys down to 12', but they'd prolly want 6 inches of trim....

I didn't scale the wood, my guess there's 2500 bf there..but some are 8 footers......

I don't go by any "1/3 rule".....I make whatever size face I think is best for the situation. sometimes its 2/3...nor do I bother with open faces unless there's a real need to control butt movement off the stump....

in fact, when dropping log lengths aloft, I often use only a 20 degree face or so, to help limit the amount of rotation. (Seems to work to a small degree)

Footnote: the compression on the 3120 is down to 140, or was it 120.....still runs darned well, but somethin's up....doubt it has more than 12.0000000001 hp now :cry:

Last edited:
I let the old guy have his 15 minutes.... left all my saws (except the Ms200) at home. We had Jason's 440 to cut him out if he got stuck. ;)

Hmmmmmm...as I recall, someone got their spotless li'll MS 200 just a tad stuck.....And it wuz da Husky to da rescue...:sword:

...:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks RB.....I guess Lake won't fess up, he liked it, even with a bad chain. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back