4 extra inches on bar can make BIG difference!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I went to the Stihl dealer to get a new bar for my saw (currently 32 inches). While I was there I asked what the longest bar was I could get for my 460.

He said 36 inches.

I thought 4 inches was not very much, but what the heck. So I got the 36 inch too along with a couple of chains.

Well that extra 4 inches made a BIG difference! Much easier to cut the big stuff as it is long enough for the larger logs.

I thought a longer bar would be cumbersome when cutting the smaller stuff, but no problem! Actually I can stand up more straight when bucking - saving my poor tired back.

So now I just want to use the 36 inch bar and forget the 32 inch bar. Today I am going to cut some smaller stuff, but am going to leave my 36 inch bar on.

I went to the Stihl dealer to get a new bar for my saw (currently 32 inches). While I was there I asked what the longest bar was I could get for my 460.

He said 36 inches.

I thought 4 inches was not very much, but what the heck. So I got the 36 inch too along with a couple of chains.

Well that extra 4 inches made a BIG difference! Much easier to cut the big stuff as it is long enough for the larger logs.

I thought a longer bar would be cumbersome when cutting the smaller stuff, but no problem! Actually I can stand up more straight when bucking - saving my poor tired back.

Amen. I'd much rather pain the saw a little as myself. They are cheaper to fix to :greenchainsaw:
You must be pretty tall. Cutting hardwood I seem to stay fairly straight with a 25" and I"m about 6'.

Back