40-ish cc Saw Choice-----Spring C.A.D has set in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawtroll,

When you ran the 420 did you do it next to the 346xp or your 5100?

Handling/power comparisons in small wood/tops?

gg

I see no reason to run a PS-420, imo it is a model that falls between most chairs, except as an alternative to "homeowner" 45cc saws. By now, the MS241 may be a better alternative.....;)

I see no reason to run a PS-420, imo it is a model that falls between most chairs, except as an alternative to "homeowner" 45cc saws. By now, the MS241 may be a better alternative.....;)

OMG!!!

Sawtroll!
Are you telling us you are offering concrete advice and opinions on a saw that you've never even RAN???:D

It's okay my friend :cheers: we understand how you are! :msp_blink:
That is why we keep you around!!!

Mike

I am just commenting on how it fits in a line-up of saws - and I don't understand why they made it in the first place.......:msp_biggrin:

A 4200S, with performance like the 242xp, would have made more sence!

Last edited:
I am just commenting on how it fits in a line-up of saws - and I don't understand why they made it in the first place.......:msp_biggrin:

I've said for a while that the 420 should have been named the 4200.
I don't understand why it isn't.
The little saw performs much better than the specs would indicate, much like the 6400.

Mike

If the PS-420 had 2.2kW would that be better?

I've said for a while that the 420 should have been named the 4200.
I don't understand why it isn't.
The little saw performs much better than the specs would indicate, much like the 6400.

Mike

Simply because it isn't a pro saw, even though it basically are built like one. The power rating and the spur sprocket are all the signs I can find, that it isn't a pro saw, but that is more than enough! ;)

Mine has rim sprocket, 16" Oregon power lite bar and .325 chain. Cuts really nice!

Kicks the crap out of the sthil 024 woodboss that it replaced. Way more torque. Throttle response is outstanding. It is also unbelievable how easy the 420 starts.

I have seen the video of the ported 420 that hangs pretty good with a stock 5100. Not bad for a little homeowner saw.

gg

Yes, but my Stihl mechanic is a tool :laugh:.

I try to stay out of that place.

what's this stihl shop? I guess it may be a little ways from you but the guys at ossining lawn mower seem OK as far as retail is concerned. Not sure about service but i'm sure they're big $$$ just like everyone else in the area.

Those guys on Crompound Road up in Yorktown suck though.

what's this stihl shop? I guess it may be a little ways from you but the guys at ossining lawn mower seem OK as far as retail is concerned. Not sure about service but i'm sure they're big $$$ just like everyone else in the area.

Those guys on Crompound Road up in Yorktown suck though.
Yes Rt 202 AKA Crompound Road not very helpful.

Yeah the last time I was in there it was sad actually, they had so much crap thrown everywhere. Some guy was picking up a new snow blower and they couldn't even find the instruction manual or half the other goodies it came with. He negotiated $50 off, but still not a place to do business with. I'm surprised they are still open.

Yes!

The only really comparable saw is the new MS241.

Dolmar PS-420 has been ordered up and will probably be in by the end of the week, I hope. The dealer I did not get it from has Dolmar saws on back order since the end of last year! They're buyers out there who want these saws, but it seems the Dolmar distribution people still have there heads up their arse! When some people are aloof from reality, many suffer...no matter what it is about-politics, business, tools :angry:. This dealer also mentioned that the PS-510 is a Chinese made saw, but the rest are Made In Germany. He voiced a concern about the built to spec thing.
He has a PS-420 as his small saw and has been very satisfied with the saw.

Will post action pics when the saw is in..............:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back