40-ish cc Saw Choice-----Spring C.A.D has set in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar PS-420 has been ordered up and will probably be in by the end of the week, I hope. The dealer I did not get it from has Dolmar saws on back order since the end of last year! They're buyers out there who want these saws, but it seems the Dolmar distribution people still have there heads up their arse! When some people are aloof from reality, many suffer...no matter what it is about-politics, business, tools :angry:. This dealer also mentioned that the PS-510 is a Chinese made saw, but the rest are Made In Germany. He voiced a concern about the built to spec thing.
He has a PS-420 as his small saw and has been very satisfied with the saw.

Will post action pics when the saw is in..............:msp_biggrin:

The only Dolmar model chainsaws that are out of stock (at the Northeast Distribution) are the PS-7900. A load of those came in last week but they all went to fill backorders. It has nothing to do with the distribution not wanting to stock the saws. They are only allowed to import so many to keep the EPA happy. That only applies to the PS-7900, all other models are no problem at this time.

New stock PS-510's are assembled in China but use the identical parts that the Germans use to assemble them. If the serial number tag didn't say "Made In China" you could not tell the difference between the two.

Yes, it said made in China. It has been my experience that a lot, but not all, Chinese made products are quite lackluster at best. Anyways, I look forward to firing up my new saw :rock:.

You will NOT regret the 420!

Yes, an awesome little saw that revs high but still has lots of grunt. A breeze to start, both cold and hot. Mine isn't even broke in yet (I'm told it takes about 5-10 gallons of mix before it reaches max compression), so I can't wait until mine's completely broke in to see what it's like then. After I get my tach, I'm gonna pull the cat out of the muffler and retune it. Supposed to be a real screamer if you do that.

I don't like feel of the composite front handle is my only complaint. I wrapped mine with high-grade bicycle handlebar wrap... end of problem and it reduces the small amount of vibration to near nothing, providing good tactile grip for safety as well.

Take the effort to get one, there doesn't appear to be anything even close to the quality and cutting ability of the 420 for the money. Very solid feeling throughout, as well, I'm sure it can take some abuse and still survive.

Yes, an awesome little saw that revs high but still has lots of grunt. A breeze to start, both cold and hot. Mine isn't even broke in yet (I'm told it takes about 5-10 gallons of mix before it reaches max compression), so I can't wait until mine's completely broke in to see what it's like then. After I get my tach, I'm gonna pull the cat out of the muffler and retune it. Supposed to be a real screamer if you do that.

I don't like feel of the composite front handle is my only complaint. I wrapped mine with high-grade bicycle handlebar wrap... end of problem and it reduces the small amount of vibration to near nothing, providing good tactile grip for safety as well.

Take the effort to get one, there doesn't appear to be anything even close to the quality and cutting ability of the 420 for the money. Very solid feeling throughout, as well, I'm sure it can take some abuse and still survive.

We shall see when it arrives!:msp_thumbsup:

Imo, the 420 is too close in weight, without the power, to some 50cc saws to be a meaningful alternative. It only makes sence as an alternative to the MS250, and other cheaply built saws in the 40-45cc class....

Nice youtube video by Mr. blnelling !

Paste "Dolmar PS-420 Ported Chainsaw Chain Testing" :rock:

Got the PS-420 a week or so ago, and ran it for a minute but had to take care of some other things. Wednesday I decided to put it in some wood, but unable to start :dizzy:. Check out showed no spark, or intermittent spark :confused:. Under warranty, I brought it to the local Dolmar dealer and await the prognosis. Any familiar coil/electrical issues with the Dolmar Compact Saws?

Well, that certainly sucks a big one. Yes, I'm told there were some faulty coil-related issues a while back, but fairly rare. Too bad for you, but I'm sure it's a quick and easy fix.

Funny, I just delivered four non-running 420s to a local dealer for a friend of mine. All had spark, they think it might be the ethanol eating up the fuel lines. Supposedly, Dolmar is using some new kind of line now, I'd ask them to replace the fuel line with the good stuff while it's in there for repair.

Let us know when you finally get that little brute into some wood, I'm sure you'll be happy, even more so after she's had about five gallons of mix run through her. I'm about there with mine now, time to pull that cat and retune with my new tach.

Well, that certainly sucks a big one. Yes, I'm told there were some faulty coil-related issues a while back, but fairly rare. Too bad for you, but I'm sure it's a quick and easy fix.

Funny, I just delivered four non-running 420s to a local dealer for a friend of mine. All had spark, they think it might be the ethanol eating up the fuel lines. Supposedly, Dolmar is using some new kind of line now, I'd ask them to replace the fuel line with the good stuff while it's in there for repair.

Let us know when you finally get that little brute into some wood, I'm sure you'll be happy, even more so after she's had about five gallons of mix run through her. I'm about there with mine now, time to pull that cat and retune with my new tach.

How long have you had your 420? Any complaints ?

What kind of Tach do you have? I had a DTI Tech Tach 20k which corroded in my garage:msp_mad:. Contacted DTI and the "V.P" in a response letter told me too bad, that I had submerged the tachometer in water-WTF!

What kind of Tach do you have? I had a DTI Tech Tach 20k which corroded in my garage:msp_mad:. Contacted DTI and the "V.P" in a response letter told me too bad, that I had submerged the tachometer in water-WTF!

If y'all don't mind, I'm going to jump into this thread with my question.

I use a Stihl 460, which I love, but during long stints on the chipper, I find it a PITA to start the thing up just to clean up branches that won't feed into the chipper. I'm thinking of getting the little Stihl 170 as a chipper saw. Does anyone have any experience with them, meaning, do they last more than a month with daily usage and lots of starts and stops? Can they take a bit of a beating?

(I was thinking of an MS250, which I have used a lot, but for the price of the 250, I can get the 170 and 160' of rigging rope, which I deperately need.)

The 170/180 saws can take a ton of abuse. The 170 would be a good choice for chipper duty. FWIW, if you are a Stihl guy, a used 192T would be my choice. Top handles are nice for in chute cutting IMO.

What kind of Tach do you have?

I've had the 420 since the fall but only recently started using it a lot. No complaints at all, it's a great little saw for its class, about the best bang for your buck you'll find out there, I suspect.

I bought the Fast Tach made by the same company. Haven't fired it up yet, just got it so I'd have it when I think I need to tune. So far, I've kept it out of water. lol

I would fight them until they give you a new tach. that's not fair.

Already sent the tach in, and they said I had submerged it in water according to their tech :angry:. They should have seen the battery leads were just like new...because it basically is-used twice. I don't think I have much more recourse than that. DTI Tech Tach 20Ks do not hold up being stored in a dry garage, and the company has blown me off. Also said to call the place I bought it from????? I'm just another disgruntled customer now :angry:. Any body recommend a more "weatherproof" tach :laugh:?

The 170/180 saws can take a ton of abuse. The 170 would be a good choice for chipper duty. FWIW, if you are a Stihl guy, a used 192T would be my choice. Top handles are nice for in chute cutting IMO.

Thanks.

My climber uses a 338XP, I steal it sometimes when he leaves it near the chipper, and it's a great saw, but as a ground-pounder I'm more comfortable with the handle in the back.

I can get the 170 for $199 at my local guy. Hope he has a promo going, be nice to get a case for the thing included, and I can always use another Stihl hat.

I'm thinking of getting the little Stihl 170 as a chipper saw. Does anyone have any experience with them, meaning, do they last more than a month with daily usage and lots

I had an 017 and I didn't care for it at all. That one switch choke on off set up that was on it broke pretty soon after I got it. If I remember it was a pain to use with work gloves on. That was a few years back, and I got rid of that saw, but I just remember not liking that saw. I can't remember it impressing me as far as performance went either. I've heard the new 170's have only the H screw on the carb too.

I had one of those 39cc John Deere/ Efco's that beat the snot out of it, and it had a real choke lever, and on/off switch. I traded that saw for a Toro bag for my walk behind and miss that saw. I replaced it with a Ryobi which beats them both, and just bought another Red Max GZ 4000 clone, Craftsman Professional from Ebay for $115.. If money is an issue, its a nice little saw.

If your stuck on Stihl, I've heard good things about the MS 211.

I had an 017 and I didn't care for it at all. That one switch choke on off set up that was on it broke pretty soon after I got it. If I remember it was a pain to use with work gloves on. That was a few years back, and I got rid of that saw, but I just remember not liking that saw. I can't remember it impressing me as far as performance went either. I've heard the new 170's have only the H screw on the carb too.

I had one of those 39cc John Deere/ Efco's that beat the snot out of it, and it had a real choke lever, and on/off switch. I traded that saw for a Toro bag for my walk behind and miss that saw. I replaced it with a Ryobi which beats them both, and just bought another Red Max GZ 4000 clone, Craftsman Professional from Ebay for $115.. If money is an issue, its a nice little saw.

If your stuck on Stihl, I've heard good things about the MS 211.

Yeah, I'm stuck on Stihl. I like the pretty colours. :biggrin:

Isn't the 211 the "tourist saw" with the un-fileable chain? Don't know much about the saw other than that. I have no idea what it costs, and cost is an issue. I can get a 250 for c$425, and the 250 is a great saw, but I need a new rope, new boots, new lots of stuff, so if I am going to get a chipper saw, it has to be inexpensive.

If you ask the dealer will set the saw up how you want it. I got to run the 211 and really liked it, fast revving and more power than the 171-181. Seemed like the saw had .325 full comp or that 3/8 picco full comp, I don't remember either way it was good aggressive yellow Stihl chain on a 16" bar. If I remember the price wasn't too much over $200.

Back