40-ish cc Saw Choice-----Spring C.A.D has set in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure on that 211 either, but my freind just bought one set up for carving. He says its a great saw. He is one of those guys who still has his communion money so I'm sure it wasn't to expensive.

Already sent the tach in, and they said I had submerged it in water according to their tech :angry:. They should have seen the battery leads were just like new...because it basically is-used twice. I don't think I have much more recourse than that. DTI Tech Tach 20Ks do not hold up being stored in a dry garage, and the company has blown me off. Also said to call the place I bought it from????? I'm just another disgruntled customer now :angry:. Any body recommend a more "weatherproof" tach :laugh:?

Buy another one direct from them and then just return the old one as the new one you just bought. I wouldn't normally advocate such behavior but at this point they deserve it...

If you ask the dealer will set the saw up how you want it. I got to run the 211 and really liked it, fast revving and more power than the 171-181. Seemed like the saw had .325 full comp or that 3/8 picco full comp, I don't remember either way it was good aggressive yellow Stihl chain on a 16" bar. If I remember the price wasn't too much over $200.

Was just looking at the 211. 35cc, nice size for quick branch work. Going to check the price tomorrow at my local dealer. Would defintely like to have the 170 or the 211 run the same chain size as the 250. I can't stand filing those tiny chains like my climber has on his 338XP.

Edit: Just checked the dealer's site, the 211 is $380 before tx. Ouch! Same price as a 250 before tx. The 170 is on sale at $199. That clears that up mighty fast.

Last edited:
I can't stand filing those tiny chains like my climber has on his 338XP.

Have you tried the Woodsman Pro 30LP from Baileys. It really wakes up small saws. I think thje .043 gauge is the Stihl equivalent. It seems to hold a good edge for me, and it really throws chips compared to safety chain. It is rougher in the cut though.

Not sure on that 211 either, but my freind just bought one set up for carving. He says its a great saw. He is one of those guys who still has his communion money so I'm sure it wasn't to expensive.

After saving all that communion money for something nice, he shoulda got the Husky 339XP for carving for just a few bucks more. More power, about a pound lighter and a pro-quality saw. There's thrifty, then there's just boneheaded cheap.

My best fishing buddy is like that. He has so much dough stashed away he lends it to God when the big feller gets in a pinch. He has about 50 graphite fly rods that he hates to fish, I have three that I love so much I can't decide which one gets the call for the day.

Difference is I tried out hundreds and bought the three I liked best without whining about the price ($$$$$). My buddy bought the ones he has because he got good deals on them. Most he never even tried first, just bought them at an Orvis closeout sale or some such deal. All told, he's into them for a lot more that I am into mine, but none of them suit his casting style so he suffers because he's so frugal. Complete waste of all his money IMO, but it's his to burn. Live and let live (and learn hopefully someday).

Better to own one you can't put down rather than 30 you won't pick up. Same with saws.

There's thrifty, then there's just boneheaded cheap.

Oh you know him do you? Yea he does landscaping for a living. He has a freind with a tree service who gets him a lot of firewood to sell. He cuts a lot but really doesn't know his saws all that well.

He hates Husky's because the one he has always has carb problems. The only reason he has it is he got it cheap [HOT]. iTS A 455 Rancher. He's one of those guys who never throws out gas and he'll mix up 5 gallons at a time and let it sit over a year. He also will run that cheap green bottled 2 stroke oil from the Dollar Generals. He says its never a problem, but he always has more than a few machines with carb problems around. I'm not a Stihl guy but I can say by the homeowner stuff that he runs for his business that they are durable and will run even with crap gas in them. Every time I've worked with him something goes down.

Oh you know him do you? Yea he does landscaping for a living. He has a freind with a tree service who gets him a lot of firewood to sell. He cuts a lot but really doesn't know his saws all that well.

He hates Husky's because the one he has always has carb problems. The only reason he has it is he got it cheap [HOT]. iTS A 455 Rancher. He's one of those guys who never throws out gas and he'll mix up 5 gallons at a time and let it sit over a year. He also will run that cheap green bottled 2 stroke oil from the Dollar Generals. He says its never a problem, but he always has more than a few machines with carb problems around. I'm not a Stihl guy but I can say by the homeowner stuff that he runs for his business that they are durable and will run even with crap gas in them. Every time I've worked with him something goes down.

Yup, must be the same guy. :buttkick:

Saw is down again. Starts easy, idles well, but when revved dies suddenly. As it is under warranty still , I just dropped it off. Maybe a coil problem again:msp_mad:?? Any insight? Using my Echo CS450 more now, at least.

Saw is down again. Starts easy, idles well, but when revved dies suddenly. As it is under warranty still , I just dropped it off. Maybe a coil problem again:msp_mad:?? Any insight? Using my Echo CS450 more now, at least.

Your 420 will need a fuel line replaced. Every 420 thats running on E-10 will need the new fuel line. Had one come in a while back that has been run only on canned No Ethanol fuel and the line looked like new.

Steve

Your 420 will need a fuel line replaced. Every 420 thats running on E-10 will need the new fuel line. Had one come in a while back that has been run only on canned No Ethanol fuel and the line looked like new.

Steve

DANG!!!

I guess I'd better check mine.
That's all it has ever had to eat!

Mike

Steve

I hope that's it.....anything else to look for.....

Saw went down again :msp_ohmy:. Wouldn't rev to limb. Now it stumbles all over the place. Carb problems I think/know, but as it is under warranty....back to the shop. Fuel is good as I run other saws and two stroke equipment off of one gallon mixes-always fresh with STABIL added just in case. Anyone know the Dolmar rep for my area? That would be Putnam or Westchester County, NY. I want the saw issues resolved to my satisfaction. Wood is now available, and when it ran well....it ran really good.

Saw went down again :msp_ohmy:. Wouldn't rev to limb. Now it stumbles all over the place. Carb problems I think/know, but as it is under warranty....back to the shop. Fuel is good as I run other saws and two stroke equipment off of one gallon mixes-always fresh with STABIL added just in case. Anyone know the Dolmar rep for my area? That would be Putnam or Westchester County, NY. I want the saw issues resolved to my satisfaction. Wood is now available, and when it ran well....it ran really good.

If I were you I would send an email detailing some of your experience and the number of visits to Terry Green T.Green at Dolmar dot com and see what he says. He is a tech service manager there I believe. I have dealt with him in the past for less grave matters and he has been helpful.

About a year ago got a really nice CS-400 Echo at a yard sale for $20. I MM it after hearing on here that it really improved it. It did. Nice little, light saw that would have been perfect for a homeowner cutting a few cords of wood a year. I stored it in my father's barn. Big mistake. He took it to a Gravely GTG and sold it.

I cut up a pile of black maple a couple of weeks ago with a new 435 Husqvarna and must admit I was surprised at how well it ran. I have never run a 420 Dolmar but having a 79cc Makita know they are exceptional quality. I don't think you'd go wrong with any of these choices. But my favorite 40cc saw is the 44 Husky, without a doubt.

I can't understand that saw at all but...beings as how you basically bought it on my endorsement, if you don't get any satisfaction from Terry, let me know.
I will not rest until you are satisfied.

Mike

Latest posts

Back