40-ish cc Saw Choice-----Spring C.A.D has set in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieG

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Dolmar PS-420 Does anybody sell these?:msp_ohmy:
Husky 435 Too home owner-ish?
Echo CS-400....I know everyone hates Echos (LOL)

The 420 seems to be a little 5100, and a favorite, but is unavailable locally and online :bang:. 435 online at AS sponsors with free shipping, as well as locally. CS400 online, at HD, and local dealers.

As always, your unbiased opinions are appreciated. Not in a rush to buy, but would like to make an informed purchase.

Stihl ms250 only $300 new!
I also feeling the CAD.
Two saws this month,one used one new.

My good friend uses a cs400 all the darn time around his ranch clearing cedar and putting down oak for firewood. It won't win any races but it has put in some serious work over the last 4-5 years and shows no signs of quitting any time soon. I've ran a ms250. That's a good saw too.

I have a couple of the Dolmar 40 cc saws which go well. I really think my Shinny 377 is a better saw though. For the weight, grab a s/h 026.

Al.

My good friend uses a cs400 all the darn time around his ranch clearing cedar and putting down oak for firewood. It won't win any races but it has put in some serious work over the last 4-5 years and shows no signs of quitting any time soon. I've ran a ms250. That's a good saw too.

With a muff modd it will win races, huge improvement over stock. Right around $200 new on Ebay. Steve

MS250 16" bar, I've used mine for just about everything... Very dependable

I had that itch too. Ended up with an MS250. Seemed like the best choice by far.

I'd have no problem with the Echo, if it fits your needs. I have heard a lot of good comments about the Dolmar, but haven't seen one (never seen a Dolmar dealer around here). I would not pick the Husky 435. I've been looking at the small Huskys a lot lately, since so many people seem to like them. I didn't care for them. They felt heavy and plasticy compared to the other saws in the class. They also run significantly higher prices for similar displacement, at least around here. In this size, I think there are better choices.

My favorite 40cc saw is a good ole Homelite Super EZ Auto. Hard to find a more exciting 40cc saw and a good runner around $50 you can't go wrong.

MS250 = homeowner clamshell saw
PS420 = professional grade saw, near 200 PSI compression to boot

I like the PRO qualities of the Dolmar, like the mag cases and power ratings, but nearest dealer being about 30 or so miles away. Availability has come into question in many posts on AS. Any internet dealers come to mind for a "Dolmar Compact Saw"?
Flea bay has some Dolmars but prices are all over the place. Echo, too--a CS-400 was going for Buy It Now at $359 :dizzy:. $60 plus shipping more than HD.

With the Echo there are two close local dealers, and H.D., with parts availability locally and on the internet. I like those Dolmar mag cases, though:msp_smile:

Local Stihl dealer, while well stocked, is not "user friendly", and I will go there only as a last resort for parts. Forget about dropping some $$$ there for a saw.

You will NOT regret the 420!

They are a great saw.
Shoot me a PM and I'll help you out with the dealer thingy!:msp_wink:
I wouldn't trade my 420 for a truckload of Stihl's Wildthings.

Mike

I am fairly impressed with my new husky 435. It isn't a pro saw, but for the price, it isn't bad. The overall build quality seems fairly decent. It doesn't compare to my stihl 361, but it isn't even close in price and useage class. I picked it up from Baileys with a $25 off coupon, so it ended up being around $240 delivered to my door.

Dolmar PS-420 Does anybody sell these?:msp_ohmy:
Husky 435 Too home owner-ish?
Echo CS-400....I know everyone hates Echos (LOL)

The 420 seems to be a little 5100, and a favorite, but is unavailable locally and online :bang:. 435 online at AS sponsors with free shipping, as well as locally. CS400 online, at HD, and local dealers.

As always, your unbiased opinions are appreciated. Not in a rush to buy, but would like to make an informed purchase.

Imo, the 420 is too close in weight, without the power, to some 50cc saws to be a meaningful alternative. It only makes sence as an alternative to the MS250, and other cheaply built saws in the 40-45cc class....

Imo, the 420 is too close in weight, without the power, to some 50cc saws to be a meaningful alternative. It only makes sence as an alternative to the MS250, and other cheaply built saws in the 40-45cc class....

Sawtroll,

When you ran the 420 did you do it next to the 346xp or your 5100?

Handling/power comparisons in small wood/tops?

gg

Back