40ft Tree (broken) Leaning 40ft Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born2ollie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm pretty confident in my skills of felling a tree in its basic aspect. However, the attached is the photos. This tree is dangerous.

What is the safest way to fell the tree with a farm boss stilh MS 271?

Like what is the way to cut it?

Attachments

• IMG_1600.JPG
    IMG_1600.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1598.JPG
    IMG_1598.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_1597.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1595.JPG
    IMG_1595.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
Hi!

I'm pretty confident in my skills of felling a tree in its basic aspect. However, the attached is the photos. This tree is dangerous.

What is the safest way to fell the tree with a farm boss stilh MS 271?

Like what is the way to cut it?
That's a tough one for sure looks like the other trees are holding it up so even if you cut it seems like it would stay also would wanna worry about the fact of a possible barber chair and guessing you may not have heavy equipment to use maybe get by putting a notch in the front and bore cutting into it?

Long rope looped around as high as you can get it. Hook to tractor or 4x4 pickup and see if that can get it moving if it was me. All is dangerous.

That's a dangerous one. Trunk is splintered where you'd need to cut it, and those two branches at the top can snap off and kill you.

You might be able to cut a notch/face cut about where the green ribbon is on the right side of the trunk, that is on the right side face of the trunk. Then small back cut on left side. This with hitched up rope/cable/chain and chain fall/cum along on right side already in place, and pull trunk sideways to the right. Have your pulling place far away from the tree.

With luck the top will break free. This will be dangerous so just a thought, not advice.

Others with more experience I'd appreciate a critique of my ideas?

That's a tough one for sure looks like the other trees are holding it up so even if you cut it seems like it would stay also would wanna worry about the fact of a possible barber chair and guessing you may not have heavy equipment to use maybe get by putting a notch in the front and bore cutting into it?
I think it is too hollow to notch or bore. I think it expodes on the weights.

tie a rope to a softball and get a rope as high as you can. Put a tiny bit of preload on the rope.

I don't think a chainsaw is the right tool, a pole saw is better as it keeps you away.

Cut up as much as you feel comfortable and have someone pull the rope. It should come down.
Might be the smartest to be the furthest away from it.

That's a dangerous one. Trunk is splintered where you'd need to cut it, and those two branches at the top can snap off and kill you.

You might be able to cut a notch/face cut about where the green ribbon is on the right side of the trunk, that is on the right side face of the trunk. Then small back cut on left side. This with hitched up rope/cable/chain and chain fall/cum along on right side already in place, and pull trunk sideways to the right. Have your pulling place far away from the tree.

With luck the top will break free. This will be dangerous so just a thought, not advice.

Others with more experience I'd appreciate a critique of my ideas?
Its a solid throw to get it high enough. Might takes this idea and throw something and see if I can physically pull it down.

No, just no. There is no safe way to cut this from the ground. There are learned techniques that came make it safer, but none you will learn from an internet forum. I only attacked trees like this from the ground when there wasn't a good aerial option. The safest way to take this one is top down, all day long.

This is the kind of tree I made my gravy from, after the customer would tell me 3 other companies had already no bid it. It's just not a homeowner grade tree.

Sure, once I'm tied in above the contact point I may haul up a pole saw and do some whittling, but from the ground, no way.

I can't tell you how many times I have cut down sketchy cottonwood trees on the ranch with a pole saw. The many trees cut and me still alive prove your theory just that...some theory.

20210402_155630.jpg

I can't tell you how many times I have cut down sketchy cottonwood trees on the ranch with a pole saw. The many trees cut and me still alive prove your theory just that...some theory.

View attachment 1156122
Work a few hurricanes and get back to me...

Back