40ft Tree (broken) Leaning 40ft Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's a pretty good video on throwline basics... as you can see, it's pretty low effort and easy on the shoulder. The other problem I've seen with arrows and fishing weights, paracord, etc. Is they just don't have the weight to drop back down through a rough crotch... believe me if they were as effective, arborists would be using them.

I took have a bad right shoulder, a hanger tree, and a bow. My question to you is, how do you attach the Paracord to the arrow without ruining its accuracy?
Not to put too fine a point on it, it's cheap E-Bay Chinese Para cord. But, it's thin, light, and reasonably( for what it cost), tough. I just electrical tape the end of the Para cord to the nose of the arrow, and let it pull it up from a large loop on the ground. It's no problem for 25 to 30 ft up a tree. For larger trees, when I want a rope a bit higher, it's 30 Lb. test fishing line ( either braided or Mono), then the para cord, then the actual rope. Fishing line has virtually zero effect on the flight path of an arrow.
The closer you are to the base of the tree, the less deflection there is on the flight path ( with Para cord). The stepping back from the tree is basically to measure the amount you'll need to get over the branch that you want, and have enough hanging down the other side to get gravity to pull the arrow down when you flick the cord.

That just seems like a lot of work when you can get a throwball and a hank of zingit from treestuff for 40 bucks... I've seen guys try bows and fishing rods, and if it worked better I'd be all over it, but it just doesn't
Or there's the possibility that you've had a ton of experience / practice, and are really, really good at it.. and, I suck at those methods. When I used to do trees for money, sometimes the Arborist would get the line where he wanted it on the first throw... sometimes it took twenty plus minutes. Maybe there was a reason that he had four or five throwballs. That was 20 plus minutes of paying a crew to sit there and wait. 20 minutes, times four guys.. That's 80 minutes.. At $25.00 an hour.. It cost me $40.00 if the Arborist had a hard time getting the climbing line up. That was money that came off the profit of the quoted price.

I've tried the various methods of getting a line up in a tree, where you want it to be. Seriously, I suck at getting the damn thing over the right limb. For me, the arrow is the go to for getting it done. That being said, I now have the luxury of time, as, being retired, my company is me, myself, and I. :) .

My suggestion / comment, wasn't meant for someone who does this 50 weeks a year, it was meant for someone who should keep both feet on the ground, at all times. It ( the comment / suggestion) , was about how to get a line up where needed, safely, for an amateur, but slightly knowledgeable homeowner . Safety first!!

In retirement, I've dropped a few trees for my neighbours. They've found it totally cool to see the "bow and arrow trick", after I've let them spend time trying to throw a sack over a limb.. But, then again, as I've said, I'm retired, and have no hurries, no worries. :)

Or there's the possibility that you've had a ton of experience / practice, and are really, really good at it.. and, I suck at those methods. When I used to do trees for money, sometimes the Arborist would get the line where he wanted it on the first throw... sometimes it took twenty plus minutes. Maybe there was a reason that he had four or five throwballs. That was 20 plus minutes of paying a crew to sit there and wait. 20 minutes, times four guys.. That's 80 minutes.. At $25.00 an hour.. It cost me $40.00 if the Arborist had a hard time getting the climbing line up. That was money that came off the profit of the quoted price.

I've tried the various methods of getting a line up in a tree, where you want it to be. Seriously, I suck at getting the damn thing over the right limb. For me, the arrow is the go to for getting it done. That being said, I now have the luxury of time, as, being retired, my company is me, myself, and I. :) .

My suggestion / comment, wasn't meant for someone who does this 50 weeks a year, it was meant for someone who should keep both feet on the ground, at all times. It ( the comment / suggestion) , was about how to get a line up where needed, safely, for an amateur, but slightly knowledgeable homeowner . Safety first!!

In retirement, I've dropped a few trees for my neighbours. They've found it totally cool to see the "bow and arrow trick", after I've let them spend time trying to throw a sack over a limb.. But, then again, as I've said, I'm retired, and have no hurries, no worries. :)
Wait, I thought you said you were a climber?

Thanks Chucksta

Back