440 to 460 Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the fitment issues and fixes on the outside of the cylinder.

Trim on the front gives clearance for the top cover, trim on the side gives clearance for the lower bolt on the top cover and also the scrench holder. Had to trim extra for the scrench holder, without that it just needs a little trim on the bottom two fins near the bolt hole.

Also a little trim on the rear upright fin by the plug hole.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Carlyle,

The farmer should have purchased a 460 to begin with!:hmm3grin2orange:

Any idea when he gets to try it out?

Couple of the muffler, tacked a couple spacers on back of the muffler at the lower bolt holes. 6mm nut drilled out a little works well.

Just a little clean up of a few rough spots, sand blast and powdercoat.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Base Volume

There's not a huge difference in the base volumes. Just the base alone without under piston volume, the 460 was 72cc and the 440 68cc.

When the under piston area is considdered though the 460 is closer to 110cc and the 440 about 100cc

Here is what the computer says it does for torque and HP on light muffler mod and porting. Not huge difference basical shifts power from the peek torque point. Biger base and everything from peek torque down is improved but at the cost of HP above peek torque. Only about 0.1 extra hp at peek HP with the smaller base but it does carry torque a little higher in RPM so there would be some gain there to with chain speed.

Last edited:
Duhhh!

Could not get the saw running this afternoon, wonder why?

attachment.php

I had the 440 and 361 carbs in pieces at the same time and mixed the bottom covers up.... :newbie: :laugh: Was starting to think I really boooger'd the carb.

Last edited:
Could not get the saw running this afternoon, wonder why?

I had the 440 and 361 carbs in pieces at the same time and mixed the bottom covers up.... :newbie: :laugh: Was starting to think I really boooger'd the carb.
TW guessing that I would have had to PM you the problem before I figured it out, like my other problems.
Looking real good TW! How does it purrrr? If it were a little loud, I would assume it would fit the owner just fine.
460 and 660 double build saws were running real nice yesterday. I Stihl for the life of me can't figure out what saw I like better.

Any idea when he gets to try it out?
I would assume 12-14 days to come across the pond after TW gives it his final ok. I hear that it has a traveling partner that I can't wait to try. Cutting on Irwin today if you feel like it with Ya Ya and Hoser. 25 mph winds and 20 degrees should make for some fun. Note: Sorry for the extra garbage in your thread TW.

Well it runs a whole lot better with the carb hooked up...

I set it by ear and thought it was turning up pretty good, put the tack on it and it was near 16,100 RPM with a little burble.

Backed it way down to 15,200, almost sounded rich and plug looks just a little rich too, but it cut well.

Compression about 190 psi.

Best cuts were between 1.40 and 1.50 seconds factory round chain in frozen wood. Might pick a little up yet as the new rings seat.

I'l just clean the muffler up and it's in the box.

attachment.php

attachment.php

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7hB1J4TsvH4?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7hB1J4TsvH4?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Just had to crank it up and put a square ground chain on, but could have used a 9 pin gear.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JYp71dLC4e0?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JYp71dLC4e0?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

With a good chain, tune and gearing set up just right I think it could even hang well in a country fair 5 cube class.

Latest posts

Back