441 or 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarkBuster20

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
im buying a new saw and im torn between a 441 and a 460. the saw will be used mainly for firewood, and falling and limbing occasionally. if i could get any help deciding that would be appreciated. im leaning towards the 441.

id lean towards the 460.

even though i think the 441 is air charged but is also heavier. its also a new saw so not everyone and there brother has one right now. most everyone wants the 460

460 is tried and true one of the best saws out there

i was under the impression that the 441 is the same weight as the 460 but the 441 is heavier?

ummmmmmmmm let me check my stihl book.

stihl book says
460 is 14.6 power head
441 isssss 14.6 power head.

hmmmm coulda swore the 441 was alittle bit heaviear

Last edited:
attachment.php

attachment.php

see if this works

i kinda like how the 441 looks, its a little darksided in a good kinda way

i heard someone on here on one of these threads say they were the same weight, so thats what im going off. from what i heard the 441 lacks a little of the grunt the 460 has, but has better anti vibe, and a slightly broader powerband

Get the 441, great anti-vibe, more efficient, I have one that I really like. Some guys just hate any new technology for some reason, even after they know it works.

thanks for the advice sax, do you happen to know of any price differences? and i am leaning towards the 441, from what i hear the power difference is pretty minimal and the anti vibe is nice not to mention the broader powerband. so for my uses (mainly firewood and some felling, and the heavy limbing) it seems to be superior to the 460.

As far as the price difference I would think it would be less than $50. Perhaps some of the guys that work at Stihl dealers could speak to that issue. It would be great if you could run both and decided for yourself. If you want a 460 you had better hurry as they won't be around in 2010 but the 441 will be.

As far as the price difference I would think it would be less than $50. Perhaps some of the guys that work at Stihl dealers could speak to that issue. It would be great if you could run both and decided for yourself. If you want a 460 you had better hurry as they won't be around in 2010 but the 441 will be.

The sealer near me sells the 460 for about $40 more than the 441, across the whole price range, depending on the bar size. The 441 C-Q is more expensive than some of the 460 packages.

Get the 460. It is tryed and true, a bigger saw than the 441 and more power. They also take to mods way better. Find someone to build the 460 and it should run close to a stock 660. Good luck doing that with a 441.

I have had both, and I would say the 441 would be better for a firewood saw.

For me the extra power of a 460 is nice, but the extra fuel economy, better filtration, and better anti-vibe of the 441 outweigh the little bit of extra power. The 441 is not a slouch on power by any means. You really would not notice a difference until you get into larger wood. If you are looking for a big saw for an arsenal, and you already have a mid-size saw than that would be another story, but as a single all around firewood saw 441 would have my vote over the 460.

Best of luck with whatever you end up with, and stay safe.

441 Our company has begun to make the switch over from 460's to 441's. Very good saw just alot of negatives on the board about the 441. People don't like change seems like.

Get the 441!

I made this same decision last week and I went with the 441. The 460 has more power on paper, but they are both 70cc+ saws, so you probably are not going to notice. What you will notice is how well the anti-vibration system works and how clean the centrifugal air system stays on the 441. Well, technically I guess you won't notice as that is their purpose.

The 441 is no slouch on power. Period. What is even more amazing is that this saw builds the same power as the 440/460 but does so on less fuel. It is an amazingly efficient motor. I noodled 16 big rounds (18-24") yesterday, and it just powered through them. Plus, I still had a 1/4 tank of fuel remaining. This is all being done while the saw is running a little rich and low RPM for the break-in period. I was sitting there scratching my head, b/c at this rate it may take a while to get through the 10-15 tank break-in period whereafter the saw supposedly opens up a bit.

Tried and true? This argument is just not holding water with me. The 441 has been in real guys hands for 3 years now, and there are no major technical bulletins from Stihl on the 441. Stihl is very quick to put out a bulletin when they find their product needs a fix. The 441 is proving its reliability in the field.

Now, if you are hot and heavy for modding, then you should get the 460. If you are gonna run stock, then I see no reason not to pick the 441.

The european Stihl sites are so much better than ours. Check this out: http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default....oducttechnics/stihl-geraete/ms441/default.htm

Let us know what you get! Good Luck!

Last edited:
I made this same decision last week and I went with the 441. The 460 has more power on paper, but they are both 70cc+ saws, so you probably are not going to notice. What you will notice is how well the anti-vibration system works and how clean the centrifugal air system stays on the 441. Well, technically I guess you won't notice as that is their purpose.

The 441 is no slouch on power. Period. What is even more amazing is that this saw builds the same power as the 440/460 but does so on less fuel. It is an amazingly efficient motor. I noodled 16 big rounds (18-24") yesterday, and it just powered through them. Plus, I still had a 1/4 tank of fuel remaining. This is all being done while the saw is running a little rich and low RPM for the break-in period. I was sitting there scratching my head, b/c at this rate it may take a while to get through the 10-15 tank break-in period whereafter the saw supposedly opens up a bit.

Tried and true? This argument is just not holding water with me. The 441 has been in real guys hands for 3 years now, and there are no major technical bulletins from Stihl on the 441. Stihl is very quick to put out a bulletin when they find their product needs a fix. The 441 is proving its reliability in the field.

Now, if you are hot and heavy for modding, then you should get the 460. If you are gonna run stock, then I see no reason not to pick the 441.

The european Stihl sites are so much better than ours. Check this out: http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default....oducttechnics/stihl-geraete/ms441/default.htm

Let us know what you get! Good Luck!

I'll let ya know next week on the 441 mod. I'm going to a saw shop outside of louisville that does primarily husky's but they're gonna see what thay can do with the 441. Alot of guys on here have some modded balls to the wall cuttin 441's and regardless they will cut right with if not faster than a 460 in 20" wood all day long.

I just wanna cut wood, the 441 seems to do that. It does seem to run on less fuel. My nephew went from 460 to 441 as his hands and wrists were getting numb after a full day. He liked the 441 pretty well, but he likes the new feller buncher better. I bought his lightly used 441 for cutting firewood and have been satisfyed so far. There is a kit for putting stiffer anti-vibe springs on the saw, some people like them for longer bars. It feels a little strange when you first run it, like the handles aren't hooked directly to the bar, but after a couple tanks you don't notice it anymore. You also dont really want to force the bar through the wood, a few people have broken anti-vibe springs. Run sharp chains with the rakers filed right. I mostly use a 20" bar for firewood cutting and my saw has the soft springs on it.
The 460 is the same weight and 1/2 HP more power, and like the other posters have said, is a good powerful proven saw. You can't really go wrong either way.

Last edited:
I like my 460. It has been around a long time, weighs the same as the 441, and has a little more power. I would say even more now with the DP muffler. It does drink more gas, but thats not a big deal for me. The air filter gets dirtier, but i clean mine all the time anyway, so it doesn't really matter. But, for the extra 50 bucks or so, i feel i did well.

441 feels like a Mazda rotary compared to a thumping V8.

Get with the grunt or get a skirt! :chainsaw:

I like my 460. It has been around a long time, weighs the same as the 441, and has a little more power. I would say even more now with the DP muffler. It does drink more gas, but thats not a big deal for me. The air filter gets dirtier, but i clean mine all the time anyway, so it doesn't really matter. But, for the extra 50 bucks or so, i feel i did well.

I had a 460 and liked it very much. I added the dual port and to be honest outside of the sound I couldn't tell any real difference in the performance. Long story short it got smashed and I picked up a 441 demo with an hour on it for $550 out the door, not what I really wanted but couldn't turn it down. I was the guy that ripped on it and had never even ran one. I was always partial to husky because of the power band, smooth cutting and never having to clean the airfilter all day. Then I ran my 441, wow, I know stihl heads are gonna flip but it is very much a husky in everyway in performance but is built like a stihl. As I said the 372 with a 20" is in the bucket but when I hit the ground the 441 does everything else from felling to bucking and is an absoloute pleasure to run, you just have to find it's sweet spot and when you do the saw does all the work. No sore forearms you can eat a bowl of soup at lunch without wearing it and I fuel it maybe twice a day. I did hear that the spring kit was on the earlier versions, my springs are fine but I have also ran alot of huskies over the years and maybe i'm just used to it.

Back