441 vs stihl 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitemountain

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I brought home a nice used 441 last week for my birthday. The wife finally gave the go-ahead. I bought this with the intent of replacing the stihl 390 that's I bought brand new a couple years ago. I expected significantly increased performance, but this thing is a beast. Totally able to entirely bury the 25 inch bar with full-comp and never skip a beat. It also revs alot harder than the 390. To the point I'm a little worried about it running lean. It's definitely not 4-stroking, but it just runs so much different than either the 390 or 260 I'm wondering if something doesn't need adjusted.

Should I mess with it or is it just that much of a saw?

It's always nice to double check your ear and put it on a tach...consider getting one or if you're close to your dealer have him check what you're running at...

the day a stock ms390 ever outdoes a stock 441 or 460 hell will freeze over lol that 441 should walk the dog over that 390. the 390 is a semi-professional saw with not much more push that the 290, its decent for firewood and whatnot but nothing compared to the pro series saws. That 441 is fully professional and has insane torque opposed to the 390 and will throw blocks overtop of it any day of the week! hope you enjoy your new toy :)

The MS 390 had been muffler modded which did wake it up significantly, still I'm surpsrised. Not so much at the torque, but at the revs. Maybe it's more appropriate to compare the revs of the 260 to the 441. Theyre in a different class. It feels and sounds that the 441 spins twice as fast as the 260. I love it! But am also wondering if there isn't an adjustment that needs made. The 441 is stock or appears to be, I did buy it used. Again, is this something I should worry about or just enjoy it.:biggrinbounce2:

The MS 390 had been muffler modded which did wake it up significantly, still I'm surpsrised. Not so much at the torque, but at the revs. Maybe it's more appropriate to compare the revs of the 260 to the 441. Theyre in a different class. It feels and sounds that the 441 spins twice as fast as the 260. I love it! But am also wondering if there isn't an adjustment that needs made. The 441 is stock or appears to be, I did buy it used. Again, is this something I should worry about or just enjoy it.:biggrinbounce2:

Just tach it and be safe. The 441 should turn around 13,000 to 13,500 I like to keep mine around 13,000 to be safe. It may sound like it is turning more rpms than it actually is as it is a strato saw design as opposed to a conventional two stroke and it sounds a little different.

Just tach it and be safe. The 441 should turn around 13,000 to 13,500 I like to keep mine around 13,000 to be safe. It may sound like it is turning more rpms than it actually is as it is a strato saw design as opposed to a conventional two stroke and it sounds a little different.

Will my local dealer put a tach on it for free, or is it something I should spend a few dollars on. My normal repair guy has headed south for the winter.

Will my local dealer put a tach on it for free, or is it something I should spend a few dollars on. My normal repair guy has headed south for the winter.

I can't imagine they would charge much for it. It only takes a minute or two to do. I own a tach (not a bad investment if you own a couple saws, $85 for a nice one) so I have never paid to have it done.

I you bring it in to have it checked quick they won't charge you. That'd be just plain silly IMO.

A good way to guarantee that it's a freebee just buy a new spark plug or air filter for it before you ask to have it tached. They'd do it for free then for certain.

I you bring it in to have it checked quick they won't charge you. That'd be just plain silly IMO.

A good way to guarantee that it's a freebee just buy a new spark plug or air filter for it before you ask to have it tached. They'd do it for free then for certain.

Great Idea, I was gonna buy a new chain, and fuel pick-up anyway.

Back