455 Difference, Dealer or Boxstore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secureland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there a difference between the 455 Ranchers sold at the box store from the 455 Ranchers sold at the dealer?

Bill

yup.

and at both stores they still are a POS

you are likely to see diff. bar and chain combo's.

the ones @ lowes have Farm Tough oregon bars, tractor supply GB Ti bars(husky branded), dealer???, who knows???

the only real downfall for a casual user is an extra pound of weight over some other saws. far from the POS peeps here try to make them out to be. im going out on a limb here but its likely to outcut a stock 359 and close to ms390.

:chainsawguy:

the only real downfall for a casual user is an extra pound of weight over some other saws. far from the POS peeps here try to make them out to be. im going out on a limb here but its likely to outcut a stock 359 and close to ms390.

Like wanabe says, they are heavy. But as for out cutting a 359, the 455 might keep up in 6" wood. At 12" and above the 455 falls on its face even in soft wood and will not keep up with a 359, let alone an MS 390.

On a side note the 455 will outcut a Redmax 621 by a mile. :cry:

Last edited:

the ones @ lowes have Farm Tough oregon bars, tractor supply GB Ti bars(husky branded), dealer???, who knows???

I totally agree with you wanab...... The 455 is far, far from a POS. For what it cost it's way better than anything else out there. For a casual use saw it offers plenty of power, some nice features and dependability. Sure it's not "pro" level, but doesn't cost nearly as much either.

I can't comment on it outcutting a 359. On paper the 359 clearly has the advantage, but you never know. I will say one thing about the 455. I haven't used many good saws in the past, but haven't used anything yet that has the low end torque it has. The X-Torq really shines in low RPM range. Later!

On a side note the 455 will outcut a Redmax 621 by a mile. :cry:

See gtg times below. A 455 will not outcut a MS390 or 621, and I'm not sure about a 359. I would take a 359 any day over a 455, just to mod it...

For the OP, if you decide to get a 455, try to buy from a dealer that will have your back if needed.

i have a 455 its not a pos. yeah its heavy im not gonna lie. ive dropped some pretty big oaks with it and it cut with the bar buried like a champ. chances are im gonna trade it in this week for a 372 xp. not that6 i "need" it or anything the 455 has plenty of power for what i do with it. i just want the crown jewel in the husky lineup.

Is there a difference between the 455 Ranchers sold at the box store from the 455 Ranchers sold at the dealer?

Bill

Same saw. The only differance is if you buy at a dealer he will be there for you if you ever need service. You buy it at a box store and need service they will send you over to the dealer who will in turn send you back to the box store,LOL

Be wise and look ahead, get it from a dealer...

good advise on the dealer. i had my 455 a little while and i just thought it didnt oil enough even cranked on high. they checked it for me said it was fine so i took it home. i used it another weekend and still it just seemed dry to me so i called them. they said bring it down, they changed the oiler. they said they saw nothing wrong with it but they wanted to keep a happy customer. you cant get that at tractor supply or lowes.........Mike

good advise on the dealer. i had my 455 a little while and i just thought it didnt oil enough even cranked on high. they checked it for me said it was fine so i took it home. i used it another weekend and still it just seemed dry to me so i called them. they said bring it down, they changed the oiler. they said they saw nothing wrong with it but they wanted to keep a happy customer. you cant get that at tractor supply or lowes.........Mike

dingdingding.

and that is just it. put some time on this saw and thats the first to go. nevermind the gutlessness this saw displays in hardwood. and dont start to say anything about the chain. i sharpen a saw, by hand mind you, like no other. ask around.

onto that 3fiddy9. she's a keeper. perfect in the tree but there are better saws too for sure......

You sharpen the saw???? You'd probably get better results if you sharpened the chain and not the saw.

Well I've used my Rancher to take out 25-30 hardwood trees in the last year and everything still works just fine. I surely don't see why you'd call this saw "gutless".......... I've buried mine in hardwood 24+ inches and no problems. And yes this was with the stock chain.

Show me a saw for less than $400 that can compare... Later!

You sharpen the saw???? You'd probably get better results if you sharpened the chain and not the saw.

Well I've used my Rancher to take out 25-30 hardwood trees in the last year and everything still works just fine. I surely don't see why you'd call this saw "gutless".......... I've buried mine in hardwood 24+ inches and no problems. And yes this was with the stock chain.

Show me a saw for less than $400 that can compare... Later!

oh shadow......usually in the business, when someone says sharpen that saw everyone understands what is meant.

anywho. i watched 4 455's fall apart with the same things happen to each of them. they cant handle full time go.

I have a 455 and have had no problems whatsoever. As far as not being able to handle full-time-go, it would be a helluva marketing trick to sell pro-level saws if a homeowner saw could run like a pro-level saw.

Latest posts

Back