460 lack of bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a lot of fine dust on the bottom of your chain telling me your cutters were too dull. If you are not throwing nice chips in seasoned oak you are not gona get oil to the end of the bar, That oak dust will stop your chain in its tracks if you are not carefull. First time it happend to me I thought my chain brake locked on me. I took the bar off to investigate and the sproket was spinning fine. Now I take the time to keep my chain sharp and like someone here said If you are buried in oak for long give it some extra revs while not in the cut. The only thing I mis about my super XL is that manual oiler

Just took my brand new 310 back for the same reason. They replaced the oil pump because it wasn't working, they said it is common with the new stihls.

Just took my brand new 310 back for the same reason. They replaced the oil pump because it wasn't working, they said it is common with the new stihls.

Common? na..

Hmmmm... I think I don't think I've seen a single pump in three years that was bad from the factory.

gregz It sounds like you got everything worked out. My 361 oils fine with a 18" b&c, keeping the chain sharp is key. I'd say your bar looks normal to me, remember your cutting Oak, not pine.;) After making a long cut I try and remember to free rev the saw a little bit to help oil the the b&c, I also try to let the saw idle for 10 seconds or so to help let everything cool down.

Back