49SP and 70E Build From Scratch.......or Scratches!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am crazy enough to port a 49, infact I beat you to it! Must be a New England thing. The saws look really nice! Congratulations.

The one I threw together had a pooched top end, I bought it for next to nothing. I put a top I had from another project saw, ported and threw it together I give you a vid of the results here. I could have gone for more but you can hear it is much stronger in the cut now.

Oh my Dad has it now he likes these old saws because he swears they have more power then his 2149.:msp_smile:

Ciao
David

YouTube -

Thanks for the vid, but...........your cutting technique is going to draw some very interesting comments.

haha. I had a 9mm automatic!:laugh:

I had ear muffs and steel toe boots. To each there own. I normally wear a helmet and safety glasses in the woods. Chaps are not for me it is a personal choice but I also believe many misunderstand how they work. I do wear chaps at work, company policy.

as for jackpotting the wood, thing of where the danger area is of the bar, I am cutting down. Bore cutting is a much more dangerous technique than this and is widely accepted.

HAHAHA!! Good enough!!! I had seen that vid before but did not know the saw was ported. Cutting in the pile like that is the way we used to cut firewood when it was hauled out/delivered in four foot lengths...pretty standard proceedure when you live in an area where you have to burn wood, 8..sometimes 10 months of the year. Most firewood comes tree length these days and that is more difficult to cut in this manner, as it doesn't pile as tight. I have fit hunderds of cord of hardwood firewood just like in the vid...the longer the bar, the more gets fit each pass. Two cuts equals three pieces of 16" firewood from every stick.
Thanks for the vid......I always loved the sound of the older Jonsereds....in the cut....:cheers:

HAHAHA!! Good enough!!! I had seen that vid before but did not know the saw was ported. Cutting in the pile like that is the way we used to cut firewood when it was hauled out/delivered in four foot lengths...pretty standard proceedure when you live in an area where you have to burn wood, 8..sometimes 10 months of the year. Most firewood comes tree length these days and that is more difficult to cut in this manner, as it doesn't pile as tight. I have fit hunderds of cord of hardwood firewood just like in the vid...the longer the bar, the more gets fit each pass. Two cuts equals three pieces of 16" firewood from every stick.
Thanks for the vid......I always loved the sound of the older Jonsereds....in the cut....:cheers:

I use my 090 with a 5' bar to cut up stacked 8' hardwood, the bar is in as far as it can go and just let it drop, that big 137 cc engine doesn`t even slow a bit but it sure eats up fuel.

new to posting here....

but I can't believe how much I have learned in such a short time. Great thread and nice work. Your shop is amazing as well. My dad is a carpenter and would really appreciate those pics...jaws would drop if you told people what that rack of bar clamps is worth!!

Seems every great shop has a Unisaw in it somewhere...the two most impressive "tools" have to be the dust collection system and of course your thermos handle...very enjoyable..thanks!

but I can't believe how much I have learned in such a short time. Great thread and nice work. Your shop is amazing as well. My dad is a carpenter and would really appreciate those pics...jaws would drop if you told people what that rack of bar clamps is worth!!

Seems every great shop has a Unisaw in it somewhere...the two most impressive "tools" have to be the dust collection system and of course your thermos handle...very enjoyable..thanks!

Thanks......and that is only about half the of the pipe clamps I have...LOL!! They don't get as much use as they used to as I built a revolving clamping machine which enables me to clamp 4 6'-8" X36" interior or exterior doors at once or 8-10 cabinet doors or 16 stair treads......whatever. Next time I take a set of pics I'll put in a couple of that rig. The dust collection system is a work in progress. All the ducting is permenant but the collector is a temp fix I have 7HP 3 PH cyclone that I have to build an addition for...that and the Ingersol T-30 need their own sound proof space!!!

Didn't make it back in time last night to post.....a couple guys showed up at the shop at 5:00pm for a "pre-Friday" Saftey Meeting..that didn't get over until 11:30PM...and I'm not sure how safe we really were.....seemed like we got fairly safe...

Anyway back to the saws.....The Tygon came in Tues afternoon so I got right on it and set the twins up with NOS Jonsereds filters and new line, it fit perfect. Fueled and oiled up, went outside and gave the ported one a little prime...second pull started right up and reved up to around 4500 and stayed there. Tried adjusting everything but it would not come down...HMMMMM..this sucks..so I shut it down and thought "well the stock one will go better".........That one would only burn the prime and quit and wouldn't start again without another prime.!!!....HMMMMMM. This really sucks now.... dragged them both back into the shop and tore the carbs apart, checked everything out made positive of metering lever settings put them back together...back outside......same results....
Now...if I have a "saw niche" it is definately with the 49SPs and I took it real personal that these two had conspired to screw up this thread after all the hours I lavished upon them, not to mention worldwide recognition with pics!!!....I was also supposed to replace the rear U-joint in my truck that afternoon but was so irritated/pissed/depressed that I canned the truck project as at least that still moved (even with a squeaky u-joint) and I could get home. Best leave well enough alone..

Of course I mulled the situation over all night and returned to the shop yesterday morning determined to replace the u-joint first and then have another go at the wicked, wretched, ungrateful twins. But the allure was to strong and I found myself busily pulling both carbs. My plan was to take a NOS Tillotson that I have been saving for an up coming completely NOS 621 build and put that on the ported one to see if it was a carb issue or a massive air leak. On my way there I found the culprit(s)!!!!! Remember these???? (PIC 087 below) These are the cyl to manifold/isolation block gaskets. Note that the NOS gasket is a tiny bit thicker than the ones I made.....I thought about it at the time but could see no reason not to use the gasket material that I had. I didn't measure the stock one but the ones I made are about 0.012" the original perhaps 0.020"-0.024".........What I found the problem to be that caused two saws to have totally different issues...one not starting at all and the other running wildly out control......was that 0.010"-0.014" of gasket thickness difference........How can that be you may ask????

The carb bolts bottomed out just before they tightened the carb down.....carb seemed tight, as did the bolts...but the carb was not tight enough to seal the carb gasket to the isolation block.....!!!!

I cut about 1/8" off all four bolts (they threaded in about 9/16") and put them all back together...they started and tuned instantly... The stock one tuned right to 10,500 just like it should and the ported one tuned to 12,500 four stroking marvelously.... I have not put them to the wood yet as I don't have any at the shop right now but a friend had 10 cord of tree length maple delivered to his place about two months ago. So I will be taking all three saws up to his place if it ever stops raining and seat some rings!!!!!....Yahooo!!!!! I didn't ruin my 49 by porting it (which was the first thought that came to mind when it behaved poorly)

Pics.......

087...Gaskets....bad gaskets!!

172...The Trio finished and ready...

173...The 70E new main bearings & seals, P&C, ign module and new Total "Super Bar" with Oregon full chisel, NOS clutch cover and NOS recoil cover as well....

174...The stocker 18" laminated Husky bar .325 new ring, seals points, used P&C, NOS clutch cover and NOS recoil cover too...

175... My original 49SP bought new in April 1977 not run since 1994 new crank, seals, piston, NOS clutch cover, points and new Sugi Hara Bar 18" .325 Stihl RS....ported...with his "Big Dogs" on!!! I couldn't resist.... LOL!!!!

Oh...I also did the u-jiont yesterday afternoon too!!!!

Last edited:
Some folks made mention of my shop so I though I'd toss in few pics of my business place. Please excuse the clutter...I have been working a job on site since Dec and have done little shop work all winter so things get out of control...

Have a look...some pics have saws in the background....

These pics are of woodworking tools/ing/machinery/shop so if you have no interest in this stuff...CYA and thanks for reading/following the thread..I had fun doing it..

192...Outside of Shop East end

191...Outside South Side it doesn't look so bleak when the grass greens up

176... Inside after you walk by the bench you've all seen a hundred times. Bandsaw, one of the drill presses and air scrubber.

177...And beyond Powermatic 3hp shaper, square chisel morticing machine, tool grinder, wire wheel etc.

205...Turn to the left and this is my 9'-6" Conover wood lathe 20" swing...The wooden box underneath has turning tool/ chucks/centers/ etc storage in the center on either end the box contains 900lbs of crushed stone each end so the entire machine weight nearly a ton. Oh and my reading glasses and clutter of saws too.

Next....

204... And further left is my 5hp Powermatic "SuperShaper" and 1 hp Delta power feeder, another drillpress, metal vise, Bailey's flyer in the recycling LOLL!! The cardboard is only over the window because it was to bright for the camera...

179...Looking from the end of the shop by the big doors at the long bench with 12" radial arm saw and sliding dual compound mitersaw, 6" and 8" jointers...outboard LOL...

195...Looking from the back of the shop on the north side...$300.00 dust collector with $500.00 filters LOL!!, T-30 Ingersol rand compressor, Williams and Hussey moulding machine, backside of the timesaver. 25hp CNC capable "RotoPhase" phase converter for my 3ph powered machines under the stairs (green thing)

197...Perhaps the most important machine in the shop...37" wide belt sander 15 hp 3ph with 2hp conveyor feed. You can put entire int/ext type doors through this and sand them to 220 grit, cabinet face frames, doors, stairtreads whatever completely flat and sanded. Very handy indeed....

Bottom one...Complement to the Timesaver surface sander is the 3hp Delta edge sander......great for doing the edges of cabinet doors or any end grain work etc.....I have a special (spelled used) belt that I use for doing the bar edges of saws..evens and squares them up. Straightens them out..all in about 5 mins....

Those saws turned out nice, Robin! That is one hell of a catch with the gaskets. I will have to remember that in the future.

For everyone else out there, Robin's shop is every man's dream (minus the big boobs and cooking skills). Every tool and piece of equipment there is high quality and VERY well maintained.

:cheers:

Few more...

198...Last big tool downstairs Model 100 Powermatic 12" surface planer...good rugged tool 3hp. I also have a 20" Grizzely planer but haven't used it much since I got the Timesaver.

194...Top of Powermatic planer...note the thickness of cut....the dust collector is operated by these wirless remotes there are three in the shop with belt clips...another very handy device....

183...And now upstairs..This guy is also a very handy tool.. Rather long story...This was part of a huge, ancient (pat 1902) door making machine. Each section carries 9 42" bar clamps. This has only four sections.....the original had 60 sections which traveled on a link track on either side. The axel has two four sided "sprockets" that controlled and drove the track so I simply took four sections, wrapped them all the way around the sprocket and bolted the ends together. I added coupling halfs to both ends on the axel so I could add power and breaks later. This would make 60 doors at a time. 28 up and 28 down with one at 90 degrees on each end. It works very well in its new configuration it is fully adjustable and straight and flat and does 42" wide by 6'-8" int/ext doors or two or three small cabinet doors per section..or 16 stairtreads etc.

201... Different angle

206..Another.

181888d1304006437-49-sp-70e-build-087-jpg

181889d1304007929-49-sp-70e-build-172-jpg

181890d1304008071-49-sp-70e-build-173-jpg

181891d1304008165-49-sp-70e-build-174-jpg

181892d1304008245-49-sp-70e-build-175-jpg

181896d1304011330-49-sp-70e-build-192-jpg

181897d1304011457-49-sp-70e-build-191-jpg

181898d1304011512-49-sp-70e-build-176-jpg

Back