49sp recoil on a short leash!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_IN_MN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello

Ever since I bought the saw at a garage sale 6-8 years ago ($80.00) I've been bugged by the recoil having a short rope. Also, the rope hangs out a bit now and then.

I've worked on plenty of recoils but this one I need to ask for help. I took it apart thinking that it only needed a longer rope. Well it turns out that that the rope was longer than what I could pull out. I believe that the spring is reaching it's end and thus giving me the short starting rope.

Any one in the KNOW of this?

I'm going to try to post pics. Can't figure it out....are there instructions some place? Here is the URL: http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=cde993f2c46196b56cdd16a80fdf8c46

Thanks

Dan

EDIT....----->PROBLEM SOLVED! DIRTY SPRING! IT WASN'T THAT HARD TO PUT THE SPRING BACK IN THE PLASTIC RETAINER

Last edited:
Hello

Ever since I bought the saw at a garage sale 6-8 years ago I've been bugged by the recoil having a short rope. Also, the rope hangs out a bit now and then.

I've worked on plenty of recoils but this one I need to ask for help. I took it apart thinking that it only needed a longer rope. Well it turns out that that the rope was longer than what I could pull out. I believe that the spring is reaching it's end and thus giving me the short starting rope.

I'm going to try to post pics.

Thanks

Dan

Check to make sure that your spring has "normal" ends. If one end looks broken, then someone may have rigged it up after the spring broke and the spring is actually too short.

Another possibility may be that someone wound the spring too tightly. The end result being that the spring reaches the end of its movement before your starter rope does. If this is the case then you should be able to unwind a couple or few turns of the starter rope. This should give the spring enough movement.

HTH

Hello

Ever since I bought the saw at a garage sale 6-8 years ago I've been bugged by the recoil having a short rope. Also, the rope hangs out a bit now and then.

I'm going to try to post pics. Can't figure it out....are there instructions some place? Here is the URL: http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=cde993f2c46196b56cdd16a80fdf8c46

Thanks

Dan

If the rope hangs out, unwrapping the cord will only make it worse.. sounds like you need a new recoil spring.

My 49sp has a short pull of the rope also. I see nothing wrong with my spring either, and only have it wound just enough to retract the rope all the way.

Not sure what to think, or if a new spring would help. I'm thinking not.

Do you take paypal!
There has been many threads on AS with people looking for recoil springs for the 451e mine has been broken 4 times now!

Sure, but it will have to be after the holidays. I am heading down to PA in 12 hours so I won't make it to his shop until after new year's. Send me a PM after the holidays so I don't forget. :cheers:

I've never worked on a Jonsered, but compared to my MS440, that spring looks to be 100 miles long! It looks to me like there isn't enough room in that recoil for more than a few turns of tension... The Stihl recoils that I've had apart (and the one Homelite) had very dense spring around the outer edges, then it spiraled inward toward the center allowing room for the spring to move.

Maybe they're designed that way from the factory....

I dunno..

I'm on dial-up so I didn't check out your pic, but Mark says its normal.

My thinking in saying to unwind the rope is that you are binding your spring by pulling it too tight. In re-reading your post you also state that your starter cord is short. Try buying some good quality starter rope and changing it out. Make sure of the quality though - I bought some a few months ago that broke the same day that I changed it. I went to a different source and they had some of the good stuff.

PS ... the too-tight spring thought came from an old tiller that I fixed up for my uncle, but the principle applies (IMHO).

I've never worked on a Jonsered, but compared to my MS440, that spring looks to be 100 miles long! It looks to me like there isn't enough room in that recoil for more than a few turns of tension... The Stihl recoils that I've had apart (and the one Homelite) had very dense spring around the outer edges, then it spiraled inward toward the center allowing room for the spring to move.

Maybe they're designed that way from the factory....

I dunno..

sloch

I had that thought at first too when I took it apart. What you're seeing there is a plastic cover...I'll see if I can take it off and take another pic.

Dan

I'm on dial-up so I didn't check out your pic, but Mark says its normal.

My thinking in saying to unwind the rope is that you are binding your spring by pulling it too tight. In re-reading your post you also state that your starter cord is short. Try buying some good quality starter rope and changing it out. Make sure of the quality though - I bought some a few months ago that broke the same day that I changed it. I went to a different source and they had some of the good stuff.

If you're buying new rope, also make sure that it's the correct diameter... That can mess you up as well.. If it's wrong, you can't get as many wraps on the spool as you should be able to.

BTW: I was wondering if that was some kind of cover... That just looks like A LOT of spring. :)

Back