49sp recoil on a short leash!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thinking in saying to unwind the rope is that you are binding your spring by pulling it too tight.

The problem I have with this is that there wasn't that much tension on the rope with it all the way in. The starter handle hung down a bit at times.

In re-reading your post you also state that your starter cord is short.

When I took it apart there was rope that hasn't seen the light of day. The spring tightened up before the rope reached it's end.

Dan

Last edited:
I can get you one pretty easy. Do you really want one? Probably won't be cheap to ship it though.

The small global Priority Mail envelope is no longer offered. The big one, 9.5x12.5", is $11.95. Anything you can cram in it, up to 4 lbs. If Scot is willing to pay 15-20 quid total, you should be all set.

The problem I have with this is that there wasn't that much tension on the rope with it all the way in. The starter handle hung down a bit at times.

When I took it apart there was rope that hasn't seen the light of day. The spring tightened up before the rope reached it's end.

Dan

I just checked out your pics (I was uploading files with my dial-up .... what fun).

It looks pretty dirty in there. It's fun rewinding recoil springs, but I would take it out, wipe it all down, and lightly re-oil it. There may be enough crud built up in between the coils to be causing your grief.

I just checked out your pics (I was uploading files with my dial-up .... what fun).

I feel your pain! Been there done that! DSL Now and not going back! Just got an upgrade to faster! My wife does a lot of file transfers.

It looks pretty dirty in there. It's fun rewinding recoil springs, but I would take it out, wipe it all down, and lightly re-oil it. There may be enough crud built up in between the coils to be causing your grief.

I've never thought of that. I really don't want to take the spring out....I was very careful not to let it unwind.

I'll have to give that a shot. It will be worth it to have a full pull on the rope.

Thanks

Dan

Pull out the spring from the housing, but make sure that it is does not come out of the plastic holder. I would be checking for a broken or rusted spring.

PROBLEM SOLVED! DIRTY SPRING! IT WASN'T THAT HARD TO PUT THE SPRING BACK IN THE PLASTIC RETAINER

Thanks guys for all of your input! This recoil is sensitive to number of wraps of rope to winds of spring more than others I've worked on. FYI FWIW

Last edited:
The small global Priority Mail envelope is no longer offered. The big one, 9.5x12.5", is $11.95. Anything you can cram in it, up to 4 lbs. If Scot is willing to pay 15-20 quid total, you should be all set.

Now what to add to my shopping list to make 4lbs lol:cheers:

Back