50:1 vs 40:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone here ever tried the Amsoil sythetic Sabre two stroke oil. I've used it at a 100:1 mix in Stihl, Husky, and even older Homelite saws, and it seems to work just fine. We always put 1 oz./gal of Seafoam in the mix to stabilize things and sometimes our gas will sit around for months, especially in things like a generator. So far, so good.

What is the opinion on the really thin mix for the synthetic ?

I am currently using it, but I mixed it at 50:1. That kinda defeats the purpose. I have not got the guts to run 100:1. These things cost too much $$$.

Since I'm new to the forum, it's difficult to find answers to subjects on threads that have already been posted, sometimes long ago. After I asked the question about Amsoil at 100:1 I saw another thread that discussed this same topic. It looks like almost no one is comfortable with 100:1, but so far I haven't seen anyone post evidence that ratio has been harmful to their saw/s.

If Amsoil was not confident in the recommended ratio it seems to me they would go with 50:1 since that would have the potential of selling twice the oil. I have used it for about two years now in every saw I have, a pole saw, edger, mist blower, every two stroke engine. So far nothing has shown any sign of premature wear.

I don't have the answer, but some of you have me a little worried. I might switch back to conventional oil and use 50:1, especially if I get the new saw I want which will cost four figures:jawdrop:

I like the idea of synthetic oil, the less we need petroleum the better. But I just can't swallow 100:1. If it works for you, more power to you. The extra oil is cheap insurance in my book.

LipDawg:

Welcome to the site.....everyone should get at least one oil question as a gift for new membership.

Buy a good quality synthetic oil and mix at 50:1 and just go cut wood and don't worry about anything. I have been mixing at 50:1 and putting it in everything I own for many years - even the old Mantis Tiller that calls for lots more oil in the mix. The new oils are very good and will give you plenty of lubrication. The new synthetic oils also burn cleanly....so if you want to mix at 40:1 they will also work fine.

If you want to join a minority and possibly a "cult" group - use Amsoil Sabre at 100:1. You and your saws will also be just fine as no one has ever reported a problem who actually uses the Saber. I bought a bottle of Saber to use in my trials motorcycle and I have been using it in my trimmer and leaf blower for about a year and they run just fine - but I still mix at 50:1 for my saws. (The leaf blower is not my favorite and I was really hoping to burn it up so I could buy a better one - but the Amsoil Saber at 100:1 works just fine in it).

My suggestion - buy a good synthetic motorcycle or chainsaw oil (not outboard oil) and mix at 50:1, and don't mix more fuel than you can use in a couple of months. After 2 months dump the mix in your car and mix up a new batch.

Last edited:
I do it all the time. As a full time automotive driveability tech, I work with fuel systems daily... it's not gonna hurt a thing. Good way to dispose of old gas... I'm not talking about the fuel you pull out of the car that's been sitting 20 years... just the few month old two stroke stuff.

Did I read that right...dump 2 stroke mixed gas in a car?

Anyone else do that?

Yep... when it sits too long... it goes in the 22 gallon tank in the truck... less than a gallon of old premix ain't gonna do nothin' to 20 some gallons of gasoline.

What else are ya gonna do with it? I've ran it in lawn mowers too...

Gary

Thanks for all the great replies re. 100:1 mix. I'll go back to 50:1 and sleep better at night:)

As for burning old premix in my pickup, I do it all the time, but I also use a good deal of fuel for prescribed burning in the winter months. The old gas goes in that also.

This is the only attempt at scientific testing in air cooled engines that I know of. He didn't like the piston scuffing with 100:1

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/articles/oil_test/index.htm

In the case of Amsoil 100:1 mixed at 100:1, there is so little oil in the mix, the combustion of the oil added very little to the energy needed to turn the prop. The HS needle had to be opened to allow in the extra required gas to turn the prop at full speed. The presence of carbon with this mix indicates that the oil was burning but was in insufficient quantities to provide much power.

Finally, please remember that this test looked at carbon formation but did not examine the ability of the oil mixes to lubricate.

Several individuals have ask me to conclude which oil I would use in my "high engine stress" flying in the summer of '05. Remember, this is my biased opinion.

1) I would never use Amsoil 100:1 mixed at 100:1. There is no decrease of carbon formation and I noticed an increase of piston scuffing on the test engine. Even though I have over $20,000 of engines in my shop which I did not purchase on my own money, I still think it is "nuts" to shorten the life of an expensive engine from limited lubrication for the benefit of airplane cleanup.

2) If you don't mind scraping a little carbon every couple of years, any of the oils mixed 32:1 to 50:1 are a good choice.

3) For my net-pulling planes which really work hard, I plan to switch to Pennzoil air cooled mixed at 20:1. This oil mix was rich enough to provide a lot of lubrication at these high engine temperatures and caused minimum carbon formation.

4) For my fleet of 12-3W-50 powered planes which run full throttle of 35 min but don't pull as draggy of sampling devices as the net planes, I will use either Pennzoil air cooled at 40:1 or 50:1 or Amsoil mixed at 40:1 or 50:1 (I have the Amsoil on hand).

At last a real written documented test to post. Looks to me like 5 ounces air cooled 2 cycle oil to a gallon (28 to 1 , what I use in my mostly well used hard working chainsaws ) falls well into the desired positive results. So do mixes up to 50 to 1 . Down to 20 to 1.
Does anybody know if something like his fleet of 12-3W-50 powered planes would have more or less stress then most chainsaw engines. Seems to me they would have a cooler, cleaner enviroment but how hard are their engines putting out full throttle for 35 minutes in comparison to bucking logs with a 70cc chainsaw ?

Good to know about using mixed gas in a car. Didn't mean to sidetrack the topic...but I was surprised to see this is common.

Reason I asked is I have 2 gallons from the summer that I need to use up. Need to fill the truck tank anyway...I'll dump that in and top it off.

Good to know about using mixed gas in a car. Didn't mean to sidetrack the topic...but I was surprised to see this is common.

Reason I asked is I have 2 gallons from the summer that I need to use up. Need to fill the truck tank anyway...I'll dump that in and top it off.

Not always do I , but I prefer using my aged 2 cycle mix in engines without catalatic converters.

Does anybody know if something like his fleet of 12-3W-50 powered planes would have more or less stress then most chainsaw engines. Seems to me they would have a cooler, cleaner enviroment but how hard are their engines putting out full throttle for 35 minutes in comparison to bucking logs with a 70cc chainsaw ?

That airplane engine is living a much harder life than the chainsaw engine... it's putting out maximum power for 35 minutes straight... just as if you were bucking a log that took 35 minutes of nonstop cutting to get through.

A propeller is a constant load on an engine... the faster you turn it, the more power it takes to turn it.

Man, Google is great, but apparently so is this site. Old thread...

I thought about asking this question but then typed it into Google instead. Question answered.

No harm, no foul, a little more oil in the mix.

JUS2FAT, you're going to read this, I know. So the reason for this is that I took your advise and purchased the refurbished Poulan. It takes 40:1 while my Stihl takes 50:1. They will now both drink 40:1

~M

Man, Google is great, but apparently so is this site. Old thread...

I thought about asking this question but then typed it into Google instead. Question answered.

No harm, no foul, a little more oil in the mix.

JUS2FAT, you're going to read this, I know. So the reason for this is that I took your advise and purchased the refurbished Poulan. It takes 40:1 while my Stihl takes 50:1. They will now both drink 40:1

~M

Your google fu is weak. Nobody with half a brain runs 40:1 unless you are running drain oil as your mix oil. More oil does nothing for any stock saw made in the last 40 years except make it run hotter and leaner. Another oil thread by an expert who read something on the internet.

Latest posts

Back