50:1 vs 40:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LipDawg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My new Husky 460 uses a 50:1 mix, while my 5 year old Husky 142 calls for 40:1. My weedwhacker, blower, etc also call for 40:1. My question is what is different about the 460 that it needs the different mix?

its newer, as long as you use a quality synthetic oil you can run 50:1 in the other stuff too. use the search and you will find 1000 threads on this...

3oz per gallon...That was easy

42.667:1, problem solved. Run good oil at whichever ratio floats your boat and run it in everything. That's what I do and I have never experienced a problem.

42.667:1, problem solved. Run good oil at whichever ratio floats your boat and run it in everything. That's what I do and I have never experienced a problem.

That's my strategy.

If you really want information overload, here is a link from an FAQ thread.

This comes up over on the tractor site I frequent, under the "oil" forum tractorbynet.com

I have always mixed my oil to the manufacturers spec; ie oil manufacturer. Saws, trimmers, dirtbikes.

I don't run saws for a living like a lot of people here. But, I have put my Husky 225R brusher/trimmer to heavy use. Always 50:1 with Husky oil. 15 years old, and still runs great.

The oil formulation of today is sooooooo completely better than years past. Same as in a car; many cars call for 5000, 7500, or more miles between oil changes. I would offer though, that part of that is because of new metallurgy too.

Since I started riding dirt bikes 30 years ago, I was hanging out with an old friend who used to race the Western Pro division open class 500cc dirt bikes. He also built engines for other racers later on, winning racers like Danny "Magoo" Chandler.

They, would use a quality oil at the recommended mixture, with good gas(they used race gas). They would not run gas over 24 hours old. This was before synthetics. He indicated they found the oils were breaking down, performance and wear were worse.

Granted, these were high dollar race engines, and these were very competitive racers(Chandler went on to become one of the best ever motocross racers, till his crash in France left him in a wheel chair for life).

Ever since riding with some of these guys, I have always used good quality oil, and fresh premium gas for my dirt bikes and saws. I only mix a gallon at a time for my saws and trimmers, so I have pretty fresh stuff.

You know you've got too much oil in the mix when the fire department show up to put the "fire" out :)

50:1 is fine, but 42.667, you gotta admit has something going for it.

Whatever floats your boat.

Well I was using that ratio but was getting far too much smoke all over the place, I stunk of it till I changed to 49.230769 to 1.

That's a partner 100ml container filled up to the second from the top thread dropped in to five litres, make sure it all comes out though cos 49.230768 to 1 just isn't the same.

That's me mixing the newest batch!

attachment.php

That's good because you don't have to worry about the ethanol content of the fuel.

Hey thanks for the tip! RAYINTOMBALL

Well I was using that ratio but was getting far too much smoke all over the place, I stunk of it till I changed to 49.230769 to 1.

That's a partner 100ml container filled up to the second from the top thread dropped in to five litres, make sure it all comes out though cos 49.230768 to 1 just isn't the same.

attachment.php

Is that you making some premix oil capsules that you just through into the gas and they disolve there and release the oil in the exact quantity? Man is that cool!

Back