50:1 vs 40:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran 50 and 40 in race bikes for years and it really didn't chang my jetting that much,weather changed it more.If you use good oil you will not get carbon billed up.I am not saying anything about viscosity that is all correct thats what its all about.:hmm3grin2orange:

you can run as much oil as you want but any 2-cycle will run on 50:1 and I will bet the farm on that. If a quality oil is used there will be no issue. If you can find compelling evidence to dispute me then we can have a constructive conversation.

Not disputing you at all. I'm just supplying some facts supplied by OPE manufacturers. Do you question what the manufacturers have required? I've only posted their requirements per their warranties. I run all my saws at 40:1 using Trufuel, Stihl or Husky synthetic mix oil, as it is the best I can get. The ratios I posted are what the manufacturers require in their manuals, period. I believe they can all run on 40:1, if properly tuned and using a good synthetic mix.

Last edited:
theres no way in hell ide run 50:1 ,...........we run 25:1 in the bigger saws and you will never blow up a saw the worst thing that can happen is you will fowl a plug im sure you know that .i also run 30:1 in the small saws.if you want to extend the life of them more lube is needed and not to mention our climate in aus is completly diffrent then sweden ,ive seen heaps of people blow up saws on a hot day with lean mixtures.hope this helped mate

theres no way in hell ide run 50:1 ,...........we run 25:1 in the bigger saws and you will never blow up a saw the worst thing that can happen is you will fowl a plug im sure you know that .i also run 30:1 in the small saws.if you want to extend the life of them more lube is needed and not to mention our climate in aus is completly diffrent then sweden ,ive seen heaps of people blow up saws on a hot day with lean mixtures.hope this helped mate

I'm sorry, but doesn't sound like you have a grasp of lean/rich vs extra oil in the mix. A lean saw will certainly toast a saw. But a saw piston is cooled by the intake charge entering the cylinder: 50:1 oil provides plenty of lubrication.

???? Why, have you burnt up a saw running 50:1?? Or is it you know people that have run 50:1 and tuned their saws incorrectly and then burnt them up???

I've run Amsoil at 80:1 through a very hot summer in about 5 different saws ....... never had one issue. That said, I've got hundreds of hours on saws that have done nothing but eaten either 80:1 and 50:1 and every ratio imbetween ............ zero issues. Its more how you tune the saw than the oil ratio, provided you have enough oil in the first place, and 50:1 is enough oil. I've had my saws my apart checking on port work and such and the piston and cylinders look great, no issues whatsoever.

Sam

:confuse:
been runing 50:1 for 15 + years no probs here only went to 40:1 3 weeks ago coz thats what most run in ported saws that i talked to

It's not a good idea to come on here and post absolute rubbish, you'll get shot down in flames real quick!
Perhaps these heaps of people who blow up their saws should learn how to tune them correctly :msp_rolleyes:

Hmmmm. What does husqvarna recommend for their 3120 down under again?

Husqvarna chainsaws run at a 50-1 fuel oil mix with Husqvarna two stroke oil, with other two stroke oils they recommend 25-1 fuel oil mix as they do not know the quaility of other manufacturers oil, always try to use Husqvarna oil

coppyed from another site

still 32:1 after all these years. Saws and bikes alike. In addition to the saws listed in the signature the following bikes currently run the same mix..1979 KTM MC80 420, 1982 Husqvarna XC-430, 1990 RM250...all around to help me remember why I like my 2002 VOR 503 (was a 450 EN) . Too old to justify a new bike. Do hate the four strokes the more I age vs. the two strokes. Some day want to find a 2005 RM 250 I can build, like the 300 E-start KTM concept just can't come to terms with their chassis after being a Honda/Suzuki/Maico guy....maybe after a few more loads of logs go down the road.....and the littany of bikes I've run 32;1

1972 Bultaco Sherpa "S" & Pursang(s) 125,200,250, 1973 CZ250, 1974-77 Maico(s), 1978-81 KTM(s), 1982-83 KX250,125(s), 1984-88 CR125,250,500's, 1989-91 RM250 Suzuki(s)...Back to Honda's then to Husqvarna in 1998-9 then to Vintage Iron including: OSSA's, Bultaco's, Husqvarna's, KTM's from 1997-now. Pretty much forgot all the different ones when you mix in the ones I built for the kids....always 32:1 and a good synthetic. After copious amounts of works and builds still don't see a reason to change and have seen more and more reasons to just stay as I've done. Especially picking thru the junk pile of saws I've turned into runners. Started this 2 stroke game in 1971. Time certainly does fly when your having fun!:msp_smile:

Show me those studies I would like to examine them for myself.

You'd like to, but you are too lazy to look them up for yourself?

There is an old magazine article by Jennings that is available as a pdf file. You'll have to buy or read Bell's book if you want to see the other one.

BUT...if you think about how a 2-stroke works in the holistic sense, rather than getting tunnel-vision about what is happening in the combustion chamber, more power and fewer carbon deposits will make perfect sense.

There is an old magazine article by Jennings that is available as a pdf file. You'll have to buy or read Bell's book if you want to see the other one.

BUT...if you think about how a 2-stroke works in the holistic sense, rather than getting tunnel-vision about what is happening in the combustion chamber, more power and fewer carbon deposits will make perfect sense.

You can think what ever the hell you want, I could careless what you think. You seem to not want to except facts. You are doing a good deed by keeping parts people and mechanics employed I'm guessing or do you dispute their knowledge and training too?

Well old knowledge isn't current for most things now, so the relevance of 30 year old knowledge doesn't really hold water with today's innovations.

Give him a copy of the study if you are so confident.

Latest posts

Back