50cc saw recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been awhile, guys...probably a decade or more since my last post. I'm looking for a 50cc saw for jobs that don't require the grunt of my 044 or Husky 262xp. Back before I dropped out of sight, the 346xp or Dolmar's 50cc saw - can't remember the model were the go-to saws in this size. I'm sure things have changed a bit since then, please bring me up to date.
If you want a saw that cuts good and is substantially easiar to keep working with while your resting from using your bigger saws I would go with a muffler modded ms250. They are far from a dog when they are tuned properly and get a lot of work done easily. Also inexpensive and fairly easy to work on and excellent parts availability.
I use the older 025 and wouldn't want to be without 1 or the other .
Just lighter and easier to handle, snappier, and feel almost as powerful as an 026. I have an ported 026, Echo cs400, Echo cs490, run an 346xp fairly freqently,but the 025-ms250 is the only ones that feel to me truly lightweight and have mid range power in the same package.

Several good Husqvarna dealer in this area.
My closest SAW Shop is Sandy Chainsaw, in Sandy, Oregon about 18 miles from me, not Horrible, and in the right direction for most of my driving

Sandy Chainsaw, USED to be a Husqvarna Dealer, but Lowe’s did that in, per the shop manager, they are now a Stihl dealer (insert ANGRY FACE, my emoji’s got turned off, another ANGRY FACE) I buy as much as I can from them Chains ( a 100’ roll of.404 Skip recently) mix oil, bar oil, Peavey, etc, But there is only so much business that I can throw their way, their saws , while Quality tools are just the Wrong Color. Tim just grimaces when I tell him that I bought another saw, I haven’t had the heart to tell him just how much my collection, er, uhm ADDICTION has grown, I think that he still thinks that I am on a 5 or 6 Saw Plan (Laughing with tears face)

Sandy Chainsaw is a Great Shop, with Great People, I Enjoy visiting there when I stop for some supplies

Doug

And then there's those of us who think the ms250 is an overpriced POS....:cheers:
I don’t know about being a POS, I suppose Stihl has their lemons like everyone else. To Me Stihl are over priced in general, but obviously a LOT of Guys Like them and will pay the price, so if that’s what they Want, Awesome for them, nobody is forced to buy them

My Huskies have been Dead Reliable, and Husky has a saw for all my needs, at what I feel is a Fair Price, so I have stuck with them, and never regretted it

I can buy my Huskies, other guys can buy their Stihl’s, Echo‘s and Wild Thangs, and we are all FREE to buy what we WANT
Dayum, Ain’t AMERICA GREAT???!!!!!!!
(At Least until January 20, 2021)

Doug

Ya, POS is pretty strong, but they are 450 bucks up here. They are powerful enough, light enough, and handle good enough, but they vibrate too much, are cheaply built, and are very hard to pull over, relatively speaking.

that being said, if a clean one shows up for 100 bucks ( doubt it), I might buy it.

Ya, POS is pretty strong, but they are 450 bucks up here. They are powerful enough, light enough, and handle good enough, but they vibrate too much, are cheaply built, and are very hard to pull over, relatively speaking.

that being said, if a clean one shows up for 100 bucks ( doubt it), I might buy it.
I am 62 with a bad shoulder and haven't had problems pulling numerous 025 and ms250 s over. They don't vibrate the least of all saws but if they are taken care of the vibration dampners work pretty good. They don't hurt my battered well used bones and joints. You must be an old weakling losing your mind feeling like that, no offense thats normal ageing. About $329 usually around here,occasionally on sale for $299. Nothing i know of works that good for me at that pricing and no brand i know of depreciates as little as Stihls making it a no brainer for my way of thinking. I 've tried picking up the Dolmars for less, never was able to latch on to 1 and why pay more for something that has no servicing dealers nearby and buying parts for is sketchy. I don't care much for Husqvarnas angled handlebar, seems like 18inch and under is harder on my back then the same in Stihl and there again we have plenty of Stihl dealers here and Husqvarna dealers come and go with far fewer of them existing. I buy and sell used saws and by far the easiest and fastest turn overs most the time is Stihls in these parts.

It's been awhile, guys...probably a decade or more since my last post. I'm looking for a 50cc saw for jobs that don't require the grunt of my 044 or Husky 262xp. Back before I dropped out of sight, the 346xp or Dolmar's 50cc saw - can't remember the model were the go-to saws in this size. I'm sure things have changed a bit since then, please bring me up to date.
Sell the heavy 262xp and get a ms261 (ported or not) and dont look back .
And yes I owned a 262 for years .

If you want a saw that cuts good and is substantially easiar to keep working with while your resting from using your bigger saws I would go with a muffler modded ms250. They are far from a dog when they are tuned properly and get a lot of work done easily. Also inexpensive and fairly easy to work on and excellent parts availability.
I use the older 025 and wouldn't want to be without 1 or the other .
Just lighter and easier to handle, snappier, and feel almost as powerful as an 026. I have an ported 026, Echo cs400, Echo cs490, run an 346xp fairly freqently,but the 025-ms250 is the only ones that feel to me truly lightweight and have mid range power in the same package.
It appears that there are "good"ms250's and "bad" ms250's. I'll freely admit I'm now 67 but damn it I can still pull a saw. Mine borders on impossible to start. Open to suggestions. It will be up for sale as a "super high compression saw"before long. Then I need to find a replacement.

I have run two ms250's. They both pulled at least as hard as my 262xp. That's a little ridiculous for a 45cc homeowner saw, imo.

a Dolmar 420 is a far better buy. So is an Echo something.

the 250 is a tingly little beasty.too bad the ms250 is a cheesy build with a poorly engineered starter, because it's a likeable little thing, other than vibes.

one of the ms250 owners ran one of my jonny 590's for a while a while back. After he burned a tank his first comment regarding my 34 year old 590 was "is that ever a smooth saw". It is nowhere near as smooth as some others I have.

the ms250 is not exactly a POS, but it is hugely overpriced for what it is.

Had this whole big rant written, but decided against it, but I'll say this. If your a dealer and turn customers away, or screw them around because they didnt purchase the product from you, you deserve to go under. That's poor business, treat them right and you'll likely now have a life long customer. No different then buying a new car. Go on vacation and it gives you crap. You find the closest and get it fixed. Why should saws and the like be different ?

I have run two ms250's. They both pulled at least as hard as my 262xp. That's a little ridiculous for a 45cc homeowner saw, imo.

a Dolmar 420 is a far better buy. So is an Echo something.

the 250 is a tingly little beasty.too bad the ms250 is a cheesy build with a poorly engineered starter, because it's a likeable little thing, other than vibes.

one of the ms250 owners ran one of my jonny 590's for a while a while back. After he burned a tank his first comment regarding my 34 year old 590 was "is that ever a smooth saw". It is nowhere near as smooth as some others I have.

the ms250 is not exactly a POS, but it is hugely overpriced for what it is.
What is close in performance that is cheaper ? Long,long time ago i saw some good deals online for the knock off brands of Dolmar but when ever I attempt to buy the 421 or similar they aren't any cheaper then what I find 025's or ms 250s for . Don,t need any more saws in that class so if 1 doesn't pop up cheap not gonna waste much more time lookin. I sold 2 cs 400,s was using and still have a brand new 1 in the box for trading fodder or if the occasion came up i needed it I,d break it out. Doubt i put more then 6 tanks of fuel through my cs 490, it starts good and is smoother but i feel lighter and more powerful with the 025 so much for the cheaper echoes. I expect the power would improve with a muffler mod and 16inch roller nose bar but don't think it will get better then my ancient 025. Also think the cs490 is a bit more expensive then the ms250 here.
May be a run of ms250 s was off on tolerances and had excessive compression. I have cycled several through here over the years,don't remember any that bad.

GUARANTEED if you go down state to a high volume GM dealer to save a couple grand on your new pickup your small local Northern MI. dealership is not going to kiss your ass when you show up for a recall or warranty work.

GUARANTEED if you go down state to a high volume GM dealer to save a couple grand on your new pickup your small local Northern MI. dealership is not going to kiss your ass when you show up for a recall or warranty work.
Who said anything about kissing ass? Just fix it in a reasonable time that anyone else would expect.

A buddy of mine picked up a Husky 350 a couple of years ago at a pawn shop for $125......I cut a bit with it and was impressed favorably...no it didn't have the torque or power of my 266xp or my 262xp's but if as nicer to use then my 51's and 55's and was more powerful then my little Echos. I've since picked up 3 350's this year and sold a couple but like to keep one around for my truck saw. I paid $80 for one with an oiling problem( saw dust in the oiler hole on the bar...PO replaced the pump 3 times, but never checked the oil holes), and two for zip....one needed a piston and cylinder and both needed bars, chains and new clutch brakes....great saws for the money. I find they like the .325 chain better then the 3/8.....I'm going to try an 8 pin drive sprocket to compare it with the 7 pin...I'm running an 18 inch bar.

In my opinion....the 266 is more saw then the 262....but I've got 500plus cord on the 266 and just cut a few trees with the 262's....The 266 was my only saw for 35 years.....except for a 3.7 Craftsman to cut the266 out when I got it stuck!

Latest posts

Back