50cc saw recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too many Stihl apps out in the wild, they seem to be keeping it withing their dealerships.
I think the AT on the recent saws will save more saws from burning up than people
ever burned up with their own screwing, or in most cases not screwing, the average person
neither knows they are running lean, or how to stop it, AT will serve them well.
I think most people who refrain from the Bushmill,s Black , should be able to tune their own saws properly !
[/QUOTE]
Funny, I worked with guys who weren’t worth a dam until they had a few,
not my idea of getting ready for the day though.

Does anyone know the % of saws sold to loggers and arborists, in relation
to those sold to joe public, me thinks joe public needs AT, while the majority
of loggers and arborists get to know how to tune their own.

If you want a great running saw and save a little $$ but still have a pro saw, then get the husqvarna 545 mk-2. I used mine some today and love it, genuinely excited to have this saw.
The stores here don’t stock them, just so you have to buy the 550, not a nice way to do business,
No 555 either.

I think most people who refrain from the Bushmill,s Black , should be able to tune their own saws properly !
Funny, I worked with guys who weren’t worth a dam until they had a few,
not my idea of getting ready for the day though.

Does anyone know the % of saws sold to loggers and arborists, in relation
to those sold to joe public, me thinks joe public needs AT, while the majority
of loggers and arborists get to know how to tune their own.
[/QUOTE]
Sounds about right on all accounts , % depends on Region !

The stores here don’t stock them, just so you have to buy the 550, not a nice way to do business,
No 555 either.
Doesn't matter. Buy it off of lowes . Com and have it shipped to your house. Buy the husqvarna pre mixed gas 110 oz and the warranty goes up to 5 years. Just register it with husqvarna.

Went through the same dilemma in the last few weeks. Already owned a CS501P but wanted the MS261 or 550 MKII. Ended up getting the Husky for $140 less so I chose that. I know they are both great saws and its splitting hairs debating the advantages one may have over the other. For me it came down to saving $140. The stihl dealers who happened to have one in stock wouldn't budge from dsrp.

Went through the same dilemma in the last few weeks. Already owned a CS501P but wanted the MS261 or 550 MKII. Ended up getting the Husky for $140 less so I chose that. I know they are both great saws and its splitting hairs debating the advantages one may have over the other. For me it came down to saving $140. The stihl dealers who happened to have one in stock wouldn't budge from dsrp.
Good choice, if enough people make it then Stihl might eventually get the message,
both good products, one greedy for money, the other decent enough to make a deal.

Makita / Dolmar are stopping production of gas saws in 2022, so think about
how that fits into your plan.

The obvious Two are the Stihl MS261 and the Husqvarna 550XP mk2.

Both very good saws, they have the electronic gadgetery on the carbs,
so if you don’t like that, get an older saw.
Someone may know if your 262 bar will also fit a 550xp, that would be nice
in a pinch.
Price, getting the cheapest / best deal could swing the decision,
there is very little between the two saws regarding ability, the Stihl
is One lb lighter.

Stihl offers the 261 in a standard carb as well.

That is my story 30 years ago.

Growing up, my Dad had a Mac Super Pro 60, that was a Helluva saw for it’s time. So when I bought my first house, and it had a Fireplace, I naturally went looking for a Mac, Sadly by then Mac had been bought by Black & Decker IIRC, and wasn’t the same saws that I grew up with.

I knew people with Stihls, and people with Huskies, listened to what each had to say, ran some of each, looked at a Bunch at Dealers, and felt they both made Quality tools, but that I just got more saw for my Money with Husky, at that point Price was the determining factor, and the 266XP was the Best fit for my needs at the time, a decision that I have NEVER Regretted.

I later added a “23 Compact”. Top Handle, sometimes 67cc and 24” of bar are just a “bit” of overkill

For about 25 years that duo was my “2 Saw Plan” Before I even knew what a 2 saw plan was, or that I had one

I added a 3120XP, in 2017 and some questions about it brought me to AS, and ya all Corrupted me, and infected me not only with CAD, but eventually with CSMAD as well, a look at my Sig Line will show just how Bad an Influence you all have been on me

Hi, I’m Doug, and I have a Problem

Well, actually 2 Problems
My Budget isn’t BIG Enough and,
My Garage isn’t. BIG Enough

Doug

Does lowes do that warranty work? Local dealer puts tsc saws behind saws they sell, as it should be.
No. Take it to any dealer and they can fix it under its warranty then husqvarna will reimburse is how I believe it works.

No. Take it to any dealer and they can fix it under its warranty then husqvarna will reimburse is how I believe it works.

My last 2 new saws came from on-line dealers that were both over a thousand miles from home. The price was tough to ignore, but I will agree with Duce. I wouldn't take it to my local dealer and expect much service out of them.

I Wish that I still had a Local Husqvarna Dealer

Husqvarna selling through Lowe’s pretty much Killed the local dealers around me

The Dying Husqvarna dealer network is IMO, Husqvarna’s Greatest Weakness, their Saws are Great, I Love em. Husqvarna’s Dealer network, Well, Uhm, Needs some “Improvement” , it’s a Very good thing that Huskies are so reliable, I haven’t had much need for service, but Lowe’s doesn’t carry the XP/Pro models, so I buy those online, guilt free, but I would sure PREFER to buy them from a Local Bricks and Mortar DEALER

Doug

I Wish that I still had a Local Husqvarna Dealer

Husqvarna selling through Lowe’s pretty much Killed the local dealers around me

The Dying Husqvarna dealer network is IMO, Husqvarna’s Greatest Weakness, their Saws are Great, I Love em. Husqvarna’s Dealer network, Well, Uhm, Needs some “Improvement” , it’s a Very good thing that Huskies are so reliable, I haven’t had much need for service, but Lowe’s doesn’t carry the XP/Pro models, so I buy those online, guilt free, but I would sure PREFER to buy them from a Local Bricks and Mortar DEALER

Doug
Several good Husqvarna dealer in this area.

My last 2 new saws came from on-line dealers that were both over a thousand miles from home. The price was tough to ignore, but I will agree with Duce. I wouldn't take it to my local dealer and expect much service out of them.
Thats good to know. I hope they understand not taking care of customers means someone who likely will never spend a penny there.

Latest posts

Back