51 Husky upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got a freebie today, a 51 husky. It has no compression. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but I'm guessing a melted piston. My Question:

Is there another larger piston and cylinder that will fit on this saw? I'm gonna port it, it would be nice to start with the most displacement I can get.

Husky 51

The Husqvarna 55 jug and piston kit will bolt on and can be had on Ebay at a decent price. Plus they can be bought that come with a threaded hole so you can add a compression release.Thats what I would be buying. Good luck with your new project. Rick!!

Pulled it apart today......... one of the clips that holds the wrist pin in place broke, and let a piece loose. It gouged the piston, broke the ring, and slightly damaged the cylinder. The damage it at the top of the transfer port, the area that will be removed after I deck the cylinder.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor

Order a new intake block and the two grommets for it when you order a piston.

Once you remove the self tapping carb screws from the plastic intake block, they never will again hold proper tension.

That is the biggest problem with these series saws

I am working out a better solution and should have it available soon at the same price or less than the factory lame-o intake

Order a new intake block and the two grommets for it when you order a piston.

Once you remove the self tapping carb screws from the plastic intake block, they never will again hold proper tension.

That is the biggest problem with these series saws

Very good advice!

As a small digression frm this thread, is there another assy that will fit a 1988 Husky 50? A mate has one that is also of the grooved-bore variety.

At least the engines from the Partner 500 and Jonsered 490 should fit.

I also believe all the 51 and 53cc engine versions from the Husky 51 and 55 - Jonsered 590, 2051, 2054 and 2055 - and the Partner 5500, 540 etc will fit, but you may have to make other changes as well (i don't know).

Back