51 husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lairry

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just bought one of these on ebay. What's everyones verdict on this saw. I cleaned it all up and boy was it dirty. Has great compression, cylinder & slug look perfect, starts on first pull. The chain brake is MIA and looks like about 50 bones to replace that. Oil cap is broken and needs a new bar & chain. If this is a decent saw I might keep it but otherwise I might just turn it. What do you guys think?

Husky 51's

They are a pretty good saw I have a 55 and the only diff is the Jug as far as I know. As a matter of fact I have been trying to find a decent priced used piston and jug for mine but no luck. They are a little heavy for the power to weight and are a homeowner series saw with the smaller mount pattern bar. I know there are a lot of the saws out there so I would look for a used bar cover chain brake prob 10-15 bux in good shape. Call your local chainsaw shops and see if they have one in thier parts pile you could get the cover from. Good luck hope you like the saw. BTW if you end up liking the saw I think the 55 piston/ jug will bolt on to your saw for a power upgrade.:chainsawguy:

John

The 51 and 55 are great little saws that get bashed here all the time because they aren't considered pro saws, but when they were introduced, they had all the same features as the pro saws.

Any who, If you can get the parts cheap (ebay has clucth covers fairly cheap) then keep it. My dad has had a 55 for about 7 years and it cuts about 7-8 cord a year. Never had any major troubles with it.

I too have the 51's larger brother the 55. Had it since 1993, when I bought it brand new. That saw is just about bullet-proof. The only problem I ever encountered is when the saw was new I never checked the spark plug torque and it loosened up in the first couple of hours of use and destroyed the threads in the head.

My dealer put a helicoil in and that saw has been good to go ever since. I typically cut about 5-8 cords of firewood with it a year. I did just update the air filter mount to the more current center screw style as the filters for the snap-on version were getting hard to find.

Good luck with the 51! :cheers:

Al

Hey Lairry.. i got a 51 also runnin 20" bar .325 I got it off of ebay while ago.. 2 years maybe had ne piston and work done to her. Ran like a champ. I got alot of new parts for it .. chainbreak, chain catcher.. wear strip on the bar cover and such all from CBaileyBG's Used Chainsaw Parts her on the site. He also has a ebay site with buy it now function. He has good fair prices. Did my own wittle muffler mod on the saw and it did improve it a bit after re-tuning. 1 other place you might see if they have parts.. but i highly dought it, there is a small engine repair place there in Spirit lake behind Walmart just on the next road north, cant miss it. I think he still has a international pickup sittin out there

Last edited:
nothing wrong with the 51....

I also picked up a 51 from Ebay and it looks nice and runs good. It came with a 16" (origininal Norway mfg) bar. I put a new .325 RS Stihl chain, adjusted the carb, and it really woke up. LLike Steve said, they get bashed here sometimes but they still have metal crankcases. I also think the carb is easier to reach with cylinder cover on than the newer huskies (the holes don't exactly line up). Anyway, If you ever decide you don't want it let me know.

I have had my 51 for over 10 years with no problems. Great little saw. Try a narrow kerf bar/chain combo. It will help make it just a bit faster.

Narrow kerf? I'm not that knowlegeable yet? Please explain.

I have the 55. Bailey's had a narrow kerf 18 inch carlton bar and chain for 16 bucks. The chain plus gutting out the muffler, (easy cause its a two piece muffler) really woke it up. Sounds like a honey bee on roids . good saw.

Corey

Latest posts

Back