5100 it is..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wife gave me the okay to get my saw whenever I want:clap: I've decided on the 5100, I think it's more than enough for what I need and the dealer is an awesome fella. Now tell me again.....why should I get the 3/8" chain again? Thanks for all the help guys, I will officially be part of the "3 saw plan" group!! :greenchainsaw:

Now three... then four... then ten... :chainsaw:

hahah

I have yet to run a 5100, but I cant wait to get that chance. Someday, the wait just might get to me and I'll have to get one for myself. I dont need permission though, thats the beautiful thing about being single :givebeer:

I got the 3/8 because that's what I use on most of my saws.Whether it cuts better then .325 ? I don't know yet but I'm going to find out.
I have a Jonsered 2050turbo with .325 and I'm impressed with it.
If you want to run a 5100 before you buy it just let me know.Plenty of logs behind the barn.

I know there was a lot of hype awhile ago about it pulling 3/8 just fine and that seemed to be the popular thing. I'm sure it does but...... I'm running .325 and I can't imagine it can run any quicker with 3/8.....it's a smokin with .325.

I believe someone has tried both (don't remember who) and said it was quicker with .325.....As far as sharpening the .325 more? I haven't found it to be a problem for the homeowner/firewood cutting I'm doing. It stays sharp long enough and besides, I like leaving an impression on my Stihl and Husky lovin buddies! :jawdrop:

Last edited:
Thats the beauty of the 5100s...

You don't have to remove the clutch on the 5100 to change the sprocket so it's pretty easy if you want to try both. If the 5100 uses a small spline you can try .325x7, .325x8 or 3/8x7 to fine tune to your cutting style. Rim sprockets are $4 or a little more. Congrats on the new saw!

I just picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and only a have a few tanks through it, but it runs great. I'm sure your going to be very happy with your new saw.

-LouieIV :cheers:

If you change to 3/8 you have to trim the tab on the sawdust deflector. Mine is faster with 3/8 than .325. Plus it runs the same chain as every other saw I own.

You don't have to remove the clutch on the 5100 to change the sprocket so it's pretty easy if you want to try both. If the 5100 uses a small spline you can try .325x7, .325x8 or 3/8x7 to fine tune to your cutting style. Rim sprockets are $4 or a little more. Congrats on the new saw!

Exactly!

I suspect the outcome will depend on the wood, and maybe even the user (how ham-fisted he is)......

The exact model of chain matters as well - Oregon LP/LPX/LGX and Stihl RSC are among the best.

Last edited:
Well, the types of wood will be all hardwood....mainly oak, locust, maple, hickory, black walnut. Occasionally I'll get into some tulip poplar. Why does the type of wood matter?

oops

I missed the last comment, sorry bout that. I will be limbing mostly with my little XL and using the 5100 for the 12"+ stuff.

Ran it this morning with 3/8's then .325.Both new chains.
Cuttin' oak and black walnut.16-20 inch logs.
.325 was faster by a considerable margin.
The term light saber comes to mind.............

Well, since your right down the road and cuttin' the same wood I'll be, that's pretty darn good info Steve. Thanks man, I think I've made my decision.

Just keep in mind the safety chain it comes with is pitiful at best.Get a loop of 20LP Oregon and you'll be set.

Ran it this morning with 3/8's then .325.Both new chains.
Cuttin' oak and black walnut.16-20 inch logs.
.325 was faster by a considerable margin.
The term light saber comes to mind.............

It's hard to believe how many people run 3/8 and 8 pin spockets just to get chain speed when most don't have enough torque to pull them, unless modded. When I switched from 3/8 to 325 on my Rancher55 it was night and day difference. Can't believe Husky set that saw up with 3/8. Steve

It's hard to believe how many people run 3/8 and 8 pin spockets just to get chain speed when most don't have enough torque to pull them, unless modded. When I switched from 3/8 to 325 on my Rancher55 it was night and day difference. Can't believe Husky set that saw up with 3/8. Steve

I agree about the 55, and the non-Rancher ones came with .325 (at least here) - I believe the 3/8" on the Rancher was market driven, not because they wanted to, or thought it was best.......

Back